More on Halo 2

I finished the campaign yesterday afternoon. I’m not going to give any spoilers away, but while I like the new additions (new enemies, new weapons, better AI, and good backstory), I didn’t feel like there was any big task at the end of the game. I just finished a level, and then the credits started rolling.

Multiplayer – which is the real reason I wanted to play – seems to be working fairly well, though I have a few comments:

1) The wait to find ranked game is really long at times, and there’s no indication that the system isn’t just hung. This is bad. I’m not planning on playing a ton of ranked games as I do it more for pleasure, but I do want to get a decent ranking so that I can match with my friends when we do want to rank. I think I’m at 6 multiplayer and 4 single-player right now.

2) The maps are pretty good, with good variety in size and shape.

3) The banshee is pretty much eviscerated as a dominant weapon. That may be a good thing – it’s certainly true that Banshee whoring can get out of control on Halo PC, but I’m finding it much harder to do anything useful in the thing.

1. I have my copy coming in the mail, but I don’t know how often I’ll play. I still have San Andreas, and I’m playing the beta of Worlds of Warcraft (an MMORPG), so I might not have time to kick your a$$ =)

2. Eric Cherng says:

I feel the same way about the single player game. The game was fun, but the ending wasn’t satisfying at all. After all the events you (as the player) go through, I would expect a grander ending. Additional impressions on my blog.

3. Jim Bolla says:

According to http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=weeklywhats111204 they are working on the wait time for your issue #1.

I haven’t beat the campaign yet, a little bit past defeating the second miniboss whereafter you fall in the water. (Hopefully that’s not spoilerific while still informing those that have played through that part.)

Multiplalyer is great, although I think my Rumble Pit level (7) is starting to match my ability as I have been getting my keister handed to me. Team Skirmish is fun when the teamates work together and work towards the goal. Head to Head sucks. I always get stuck on Ascension with some camping snipe whore. Screw that.

4. timts says:

UT2004 is still a lot better than Halo 2 for multiplayer.

5. Matt says:

I find it interesting I never hear a Microsoftie ever talk about any other XBox games…It’s like the whole company has an XBox just to play Halo 🙂

6. OOPhil says:

One of my friends calls it the X-Box the "Halo TV Adapter"

7. MBA says: