Group Blogs

Daniel wrote,

I am interested in your comment about not subscribing to group blogs. Why? Isn’t it a good way to discover new blogs worth reading? Just curious…

I think it’s important to differentiate between two types of blogs. The terms I use (which may or may not be generally accepted) are:

Aggregated blog

A blog that aggregates together the blogs of separate people, presenting them on one feed.

Group blog

A blog with posts written by several people.

I think aggregated blogs are okay, though I tend to read them on their web page to find out what I like rather than subscribe to them. They do tend to be pretty noisy, especially when there are a number of new bloggers, but if you can get by that, there may be some good people to subscribe to.

Group blogs are a different beast. In them, a group of people write articles for the same blog. ABlog is one, and there are a few that are run by Microsoft teams.

I don’t think I’ve come across one yet that was any good. I read a blog to get a specific person’s perspective, not to get the jumbled-together perspectives of a group of people. Group blogs also lack coherence, and most they are normally one-way.

In my mind, one of the points of having a blog is to engage in conversation. I read every comment that gets made on my blog. Sometimes I reply, sometimes I comment, sometimes I write a new blog entry. Sometimes I don’t do anything, but the comment still effects what I do in the future.

That’s because I have a sense of ownership around it, because it’s *my* blog. It’s just human nature to care more about something that has your name on it than something that has your team’s name on it.

The C# team actually has a group blog for FAQ questions. It’s much better than not getting that information out at all, but it has neither the personality nor the interaction of a personal blog. That’s okay if it’s an *adjunct* to other blogs, but not if it’s the only one for a team. I’d read a general Apress blog devoted to new releases even if it were a group blog, because it would have a different goal.

My advice to everybody doing group blogs is to do aggregated blogs instead. Sure, it’s more work, but the result is so much better.

1. Daniel Moth says:

You are right it is important to distinguish the two and yes I thought you meant aggregated blogs in your previous post (while we are on terminology, are these "blog entries" or "blog posts" ?).

Having clarified that, I tend to agree on your position on group blogs however here is one that qualifies as a group blog and I think is worth subscribing to: Maybe it is the exception that proves the rule 🙂

2. Vic Berggren says:

I recently stopped subscribing to the c# team blog for lack of posts…

3. Daniel Moth says:

Drew, interesting link, I enjoyed it. "Exception that proves the rule" is an expression of the English language. In Greek, the saying is: "Every rule has its exception". My native language is Greek, so I just found the closest English equivalent. Now if you point to *any* rule that does not have an exception… guess what my reply will be?

4. josh ledgard says:

Maybe I’m biased, but I think works pretty well as a group blog and retains personality of the writers. Hence… it is possible, just not well implemented often. josh

5. Drew says:

It’s a commonly misused phrase in English (interesting to find out about the similar Greek expression, though). Then again the point is probably "moot" – a commonly misused word in English that means "debatable", but is gradually coming to be accepted as "inconsequential". "Exception that proves the rule" never made sense to me until I found an explanation like the one on the site linked to. I was just trying to share the knowledge.

"Every rule has its exception" seems equally paradoxical to me. It’s a restatement of Russell’s Paradox, I think.

Since I’m cluttering up the comments with OT junk, I should probably also contribute to the real topic:

My group has been debating doing a group blog. I’m one of the anti-group blog faction. Seems like a way to hide behind a group – not expose one’s identity. I thought that the company was excited about blogging for exactly the opposite reason: individual Microsofties interacting with the outside world without the layers of indirection.

I just wrote "the company was excited". Evidently I don’t quite get it yet. Maybe I should start a blog.

6. Michael Kale says:

Not sure if you’re a baseball fan, but the USS Mariner is a great blog co-written by three guys:

7. Michael Kale says:

8. Michael Kale says:

Sorry for the double post. (And now I’ve made it even worse with the triple post 😉

9. MBA says: