Best practices talk

I gave my Teched talk at 5PM today, entitled “C# Best Practices – What’s wrong with this code?”. Rather than take a more lecture-based approach, I tried something more interactive. It was an interesting, if not fully successful talk. If you attended, please leave me some comments – what did you like, what didn’t you like, etc. If you didn’t attend, you should see slides on the dev center *eventually*.

Good:

• The warmup went well, with laughs where I expected to get laughs, and many of them better than I expected.

• I got to jump off the stage and go out into the audience, something I also like to do.

• I got lots of questions afterwards, which is always a good sign.

Bad:

• I didn’t get as many answer from people as I expected. That might be because the material is too hard, or just no accessible in the time I spent on it.

• I missed points on a few of my explanations

• I had one glaring error in an explanation that was brought to my attention later, which I should have caught. The guidance is still correct, but I hate those kinds of errors.

• The snippets part was fairly dry, and could have been more interesting.

Overall, I think it went fairly well, but I haven’t talked to anyone in my group, so I don’t know what they think.

Oh, and the worst part was that I had to share the stage with two rack mounted servers that made it really hard for me to hear anything.

Afterwards, one of the room supervisors told me that the talk was SRO, and that it seemed to be a “younger crowd” than many of the other talks. I’m not sure what to make of that.

Overall, I’m not sure how happy I am yet.

1. john says:

I thought the talk went well; most everyone took something away from it. The warmup was really well put together, but 10 seconds was too little time to find the more subtle code errors, especially for the last presentation of the day (grin). I’m definitely going to have to review the slides to fully grasp to all of the BKMs. I was also sad not to see any kittens.

2. David M. Kean says:

Any chance of getting the a copy of slides for those that weren’t lucky enough to be at TechEd?

3. D. Brian Ellis says:

Maybe you got a younger crowd because you’re a big bad blogger now. Face the consequences of your ACTIONS! No, seriously. I’m younger (24), I’m a C# developer, I reader blogs and when I looked at TechEd speakers, yours was one of the more recognizable names. I probably would have been there as well.

Brian

4. Talbott Crowell says:

@John

SRO = Standing Room Only

5. rod says:

I thought it went pretty good and you should

be happy with the talk.

My comment was that 10 seconds might be a wee

bit too little time for the audience to read and think, you don’t want to take a minute but 20 secs might have been better. But thereagain I mostly use the J language so it might have taken me longer to get up to speed.

Glad I went there rather than to geek out about the AMD64bits

What was the error in the explanation?

6. Could you show some of the slides for those of us not present in TechEd?

7. Ramprakash says:

I thought it was a pretty useful session. you touched on lot of things that I had encountered during several code review process.

It was nicely put togethor.

8. Hi Eric, I (and those around me) thought yours was one of the more interesting talks we’ve heard so far. Like others have mentioned, 10 seconds is a wee bit short considering all the possible issues to consider before raising your hand and risking humiliation.

I especially liked the Q&A format. It worked well.

9. Stefan Barrett says:

10s is too short, 20s would have been better. Very useful, and glaringly obvious once somebody has pointed it out to you.. Got to go home and check some code..

10. John Rogers says:

Hi Eric,

I too thought 10 seconds was too short. I did get a lot out of the talk. I’m a vb6 developer who in the past year has made the switch to c#. The part about exceptions was especially useful since I do all the "bad" things that you mentioned in my code. 🙂

11. Paul Montgomery says:

Eric,

I thought that this was one of the most useful in all of TechEd. At some point we’ve all made at least one of these coding blunders, so seeing that we aren’t alone helps. Just the number of ppl present that late in the day should comfort you in the fact that it was a great presentation.

12. Javier Martínez says:

Hi

Is there any possibility to get a copy of yours slides?

Thanks

Javier (jamaa@tid.es)

13. Now that I’ve got some time to reflect on the TechEd sessions, I recall your talk being one of the most enjoyable (although I think Jeffrey Richter’s CLR talk was even better).

I wish there were more sessions like yours . . .

14. MBA says: