I’m in need of ideas

I’ve been cleaning my office today, and I need some help on a problem I have.

Back when I wrote my C# book (A Programmer’s Introduction to C# (still available at
better booksellers everywhere (Eric needs to pay for his season’s pass at Stevens
 (where it snowed this week (view the webcam))))),
I was lucky enough to have the first edition translated into a number of different
languages. Whenever a publisher would finish a translation, my publisher (Apress,
new owner of most of the Wrox titles) would send me a box of books. I always put one
on the bookshelf, and when I had one that I thought somebody would be interested in,
I’d give it to them. For example, I gave my Czech mother-in-law a copy of Začรญnรกme
programovat v C#
 , and Anders got a copy of

C# introduktion
for programmรธrer

But after a while, I exhausted the humorous potential of giving relatives copies of
books that not only covered topics they didn’t understand, but were written in languages
they didn’t speak, and I’m left with a number of copies that I don’t know what to
do with. Most are the first edition of the book, which is nowhere near as good as
the second edition.

So I’m looking for ideas of what to do. I currently have:

7 Danish
1 Italian
4 Dutch
4 Korean
2 Korean (2nd edition)
2 Chinese
2 Polish
4 Czech

1. Phil Haack says:

I bet there are a lot of charities that would love to have those books.

2. Anonymous says:

1. Sell on amazon, half.com, etc. if you need the cash for that seasons pass! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    2. Donate needy schools/user-groups in the respective countries if your feeling philanthropic

3. John Cavnar-Johnson says:

Sign them and give them to the local MS offices to hand out as door prizes.

4. Kevin Ebert says:

I’ll buy one of the Korean (2nd editions). I’m working for a wireless service provider and we are in the process of implementing a C#/ASP.NET call center in Asia (http://www.asurion.com/ReleaseView.asp?ID=40&A=N). I’m the tech lead on this project and I’m getting ready head over there to roll out the application. I will take it with me to impress my Korean friends. I’ll tell them that for their application, I took the time to learn C# in Korean ๐Ÿ˜‰ and therefore they can be assured that their application will work. Ok, seriously though, I’ll buy one of the 2nd Edition Korean versions. Contact me with the price.

5. Kevin Ebert says:

Actually, I’ll buy one of the 1st editions also, as long as you sign it.

6. Paolo Marcucci says:

Send me the italian one! (j/k) ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Bruce Lee says:

I have interests with the Chinese edition with your name signed. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Igor Firkusny says:

Carefully selected school libraries might be a good place for them, though selling them on eBay etc. would probably do more for your season pass.

But if you do resort to just finding them caring homes, I’d actually be interested in one of the Czech copies (signed if possible! ๐Ÿ™‚ ) — I speak the language pretty well, and it would be interesting to see how all the jargon translates.

9. I’ll buy a signed copy of a Danish copy. I’ll even give it a review at my Danish .net site (www.dotninjas.dk).

I actually prefer reading programming books in English because there are so many words that you cannot translate into Danish.

10. Jeroen says:

One Dutch copy here, signed or so, always in need for our communities and we’ll make some price draw.. Hell, you can be the quiz master… ๐Ÿ™‚

Seen you in action in Redmond in 2000, you like that stage anyhow… (or at least deep down…)

11. dannyR says:

I assume the physical depth of the books are about the same in each language. Thus, you can take them to your local shooting range and then fire different types of ammuntion through them. You can then put them on display, showing people the damage that a 38 vs 9mm vs 40 vs 45 etc. inflicts upon your book. Be sure to show the difference of the same calibre shot from a handgun and rifle (with a .357 cartridge, for example). That would be a fun and educational use of your books.

12. Marius says:

Darn….no romanian one. :-))

13. Richard says:

A signed Czech copy for me..;-)

14. I’d like a dutch copy ๐Ÿ™‚

I got two copies of the english version (every person participating in the first .Net programming contests would get one. Somehow I got two), but my girlfriend who is learning to program likes dutch books better. It would really help her.

15. Rodrigo B. de Oliveira says:

Well, free your books!

16. JasonM says:

I’d like a Dutch copy….I spent several years there and learned Dutch conversationally. I’ve looked for techie books to expand my language to being able to work w/local developers in their own language. Would be a nice tool to that end. I would like it signed! Let me know what it would take to send one my way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

17. James HIggs says:

Why not release them into the wild? See http://www.bookcrossing.com/

18. Gift them to some worldwide schools…

19. ZFoxHead says:

Dump all of the books at the local library’s return bin. Don’t mention where they came from and what to do with them. It’s a library, and they’ll know what to do with books.

You should also send Apress a memo to stop sending you any additional copies.