Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been released to manufacturers. Today we’ve reached a significant milestone in delivering Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to manufacturing – to our OEM partners to get their PCs ready, to our software development partners to test their new apps on Windows 7, and to IHVs to ready their new hardware.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 represent incredible opportunities for partners and for the industry overall. We built Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with our partners, and their confidence in the products today reflect this deep collaboration. They are excited about the value the products will bring to customers of all types and sizes
Consumer and corporate excitement for Windows 7 continues to build:
- Consumers: We designed Windows 7 to be more reliable, more responsive, and to make the things consumers do every day easier.
- Enterprises: Windows 7 works the way businesses want. It makes users productive anywhere, delivers enhanced security and control to reduce risk, and streamlines PC manageability to reduce costs.
- Small-Medium Businesses: Windows 7 is the best operating system for work and home. Windows 7 Professional works the way customers want, enables customers to get more done and safeguards customers’ work.
Windows Server 2008 R2 Customers: Windows Server 2008 R2 builds on the award-winning foundation of Windows Server 2008, expanding existing technology and adding new innovations that enable customers to quickly save money and be more efficient today and more effective tomorrow. New virtualization tools, Web resources, management enhancements, and exciting Windows 7 integration help customers increase the reliability, flexibility and efficiency of their server infrastructures.
Many customers and partners have been eager to test out beta and RC versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 to see for themselves the benefits they can look forward to once R2 becomes widely available. We’ve seen over 300,000 downloads already for Windows Server 2008 R2 beta/RC.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 together:
- Businesses: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 work together to help reduce the cost and complexity for businesses. They make users more productive by automating everyday tasks, delivering enhanced security, and streamlining manageability.
- Enterprises: As always, customers with existing enterprise Volume Licensing agreements will get first access to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: Windows 7 code will be available for Volume Licensing download within the next few weeks, with Windows Server 2008 R2 code available during the second half of August.