Recently, I was assigned a task that there is a excel file need to be displayed in our website. Of course, the website is based on SharePoint Portal Server 2003, and I think it is so amazing a tool among the series of Microsoft software products.
I knew that it is an important feature for SPS to integrated with office components, now below is the add-in's link:
After download it and double click the exe file, I just follow the instructions appeared to install it in my machine.
Now, have a check:
1. Open my website in IE.
2. Click "Edit Page" action item in left pane of the window.
3. Click "Modify Shared View" -> "Add web parts" -> "Browse" in the top-right corner.
4. In "Virtual Server Gallery", there are more web parts than before in the list, "Office Datasheet", "Office PivotChart"...
Immediately, I drag "Office Spreadsheet" to one of my web part zone.
Okay, it is cool, I can use it just like in office excel, but after a while I found that some issues came to me:
1. MS Office 2003 is required when use this component, that means if user have office2003 installed in his/her machine, then everything is ok when access the website, otherwise s/he can't use this component, is this issue critical for me? I need talk with my boss.
2. It seems now everyone accessing the website can change the content of the spreadsheet, it is dangerous. I require only some buddies have the modify privilege and it is only a view for others.
3. Where is my data saved and how to configure it?
I need to find the answers in the following days, and of course I will post continually.