Free ASP.NET Hosting for UK Students

This offer has been suspended – please check back soon for update.

In the past when talking to students about ASP.NET one common criticism  is the prohibitive cost of ASP.NET hosting in the UK. I have been told numerous time by students that they can get Apache/PHP/MySQL hosting for next to nothing or even free but Windows based hosting is unaffordable.

Based on this feedback we have been working with Webfusion to offer ASP.NET hosting to all UK students for free!

The free hosting includes:

• Windows Server 2008, IIS 7, 500 MB disk space
  • SQL Server 2005 database
  • Support for ASP.NET 2.0, .NET 3.0, classic ASP and PHP

To get your free account you need a unique code and a .ac.uk email address.

We will be distributing the codes directly via our faculty contacts, upcoming Inspiration Tour dates and best of all THROUGH THIS BLOG.

So if you're a student and would like to sign up but don't have a code please use the email link to the right or comment on this post to get one!

This offer has been suspended – please check back soon for update.

For those of you who already have a code... go activate it here.

1. Many of you will have met or be about to meet Ed Dunhill as he tours the country with Ben Coley delivering

2. Warren (Univ Cambridge MSP) says:

That’s fabulous Ed!

Looking forward to seeing you next week in Cambridge ! We’ve got about 50 people signed up for it now…

3. Ste says:

Hey, please could I have the code? I couldn’t find the e-mail link.

I was quite excited about this when I heard about it on the Inspiration tour, which was really interesting.

Cheers,

Ste

4. edunhill1 says:

Hey guys,

For all of you that have requested a code, sit tight I will be emailing the first batch out on Monday.

Also wanted to mention that due to popular demand we have now implemented .NET 3.5 on the hosting package!

Have fun, Ed

5. Veronica Spowart says:

I am a student and would like to sign up for a free hosting account code please.

My university email address is:

Please let me know if you need any further information

Many Thanks

Veronica

6. gaurav_malik says:

Hi Ed,

Hope all is well (and dry), you may remember me from your trip to the University of East London.  Ed do you have any pics from that event, I would like to add it to my site.  Also could you email me the code for .Net hosting.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Gaurav

7. Benjamin Davison says:

Missed you at the inspiration tour 🙁 Damn computer maths!

Can I also get a code? I’m at Teesside and my e-mail is

This will go great for my web authoring project 😀

8. Since posting last week we have had a huge amount of interest in our free student hosting offer. For

9. Since posting last week we have had a huge amount of interest in our free student hosting offer. For

10. Sam Temple says:

Please let me know if you need any further information

Many Thanks

Sam Temple

11. edunhill1 says:

Sam: can you mail me your email address using the link on the right nav so I can send you a code 🙂

Thanks!

12. Sam Temple says:

hi ed i have mailed you my email : d4090869 cheers

Sam

13. edunhill1 says:

Thanks, I’ll email you a code shortly.

14. Sam Temple says:

hey ed was just wondering if you had sent that code?

cheers

Sam

15. Richard Gould says:

Hello,

my email address is:

<edit>

I would like to apply for a code please.

It’s a good idea, but needs to be better publicised I think; I only noticed the opportunity because I keep an eye on IT news stories. I suspect many who could benefit from this offer don’t and will miss out.

Richard

16. edunhill1 says:

I’ve just sent another batch of codes out so everyone who requested one before today should have it soon (if not let me know).

Richard; Thanks for your feedback, we are promoting the offer through our MSPs, Blogs and Inspiration Tour. As it gains momentum you should hopefully also see more press coverage. However the main vehicle for the offer is word of mouth so make sure you tell all your friends!

Thanks,

Ed

17. Kevin Kim says:

I think this is a great offer.

I would very much like to have one.

Could you please give me the activation code?

my email is: <edit>

Thanks!!

18. Tim Fionda says:

Hi, is it still possible to get a code? i commented here before but haven’t received anything via email.

My email is

thankyou!

Tim

19. Azam Alfayez says:

Hello,

Looking for the code. I’m really exiting for this when I recieved an email from my uni.

Many thanks,

Azam,

20. Dan Brennan says:

Hi Can i have a code <edit>

21. Jianhua says:

May I ask where can I find my unique code, please email me at <edit>

22. Karl says:

Hey,

Please send me a code =)

uni address is

23. Martin says:

Well I sent him an email, using the blog contact form, about 10 days ago and have not had a reply yet! Anyone else had any luck?

24. Greetings,

Can a code be sent out to myself please

Many thanks in advance

25. edunhill1 says:

I am getting so many requests for hosting codes that I am now sending them out in batches (on a weekly basis where time allows).

Everyone who requested a code before the 11th should now have one but I had some bouce back so let me know if you haven’t.

Martin; Sorry for the delay with the last batch, I was in Seattle with no access to the codes. Hopefully you should have now have one?

Thanks,

Ed

26. Martin says:

Yeah thanks, I got the code through. I have been playing around with VS2008 and am doing something to put up there as we speak but I keep getting distracted by the cool new features in .NET 3 as its the first time I have used it and am more used to developing in .NET 1.1 and 2.

Martin

27. Philip Chaston says:

My university email address is:

Please let me know if you need any further information

Many Thanks

28. Greetings I am yet to receive a code to <edit>

twas slightly worried as my uni email auto redirects to <edit>

yours

Baz

29. edunhill1 says:

Hey Barry,

No need to worry, haven’t had the chance to send out the codes yet this week but it will be with you by the weekend :).

Ed

30. Alexander Symington says:

Hi,

Enjoyed the tour at Abertay; thanks a lot.

Could you possibly send me a code at <edit>?

Alexander

31. Kiran says:

Hi ,

I would also like to take the oppertunity for the free ASP.NET hosting and I am a UK student.

Kiran

32. Sourabh says:

Hi Ed

Could you please mail me the code ; the add is

thanks.

33. Samir Talwar says:

Hey there. I’d love a code please. My email address is <edit>.

Thanks.

34. Marie says:

Heya, I am also interested in getting a code for the free web hosting for students, but I couldn’t find an email link to send my info off.

Please could I have a code

35. WorMzy says:

Hello, please can you send me a code. The email address is paul- <edit>

Thanks.

36. edunhill1 says:

Hi Marie,

Please send me your email address using the below link and I’ll give you a code.

Ed

37. Marie says:

Hey, just to let you know I found the email link (I hope it was the right one) before you’re response and requested a code and with my email address.  Wasn’t too sure whether I had to use my uni email so I left both my regular and uni one 🙂

38. TrapperDave says:

Hello, please would I be able to have a code. I would like to be able to create an online showcase of my unviersity work.

39. West McGowan says:

this is great, am always using all the free hosting services, please could you send me a code.

40. Hi, will you be touring the Canterbury Christ Church University as thats where I’m studying and it would be really great if you came here.

PS.

Could I possibly have a webfusion voucher code please, my email is: <edit>

Thanks, James.

41. David Hutchinson says:

Wow, the free webhosting sounds like a really good offer.

I’ve tried to get the free software with my Leeds Learning Network account but it seems to fail authentication everytime.

Thanks for the latest news.

42. Jonathan Robinson says:

Hi Ed,

I’d love a code.  Please would you send me one to:

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

43. Jacob says:

I’d appreciate a code, I don’t know that I’ve ever had a real domain name before (I’m such a cheap-skate).  I am, however, entering my freshman year of college, so I really do qualify.  My public email is <edit>

Thanks,

-Jacob

44. edunhill1 says:

TrapperDave/West: Can you use this link to email me so I have your email address to send you a code: http://blogs.msdn.com/edunhill/contact.aspx

James: Unfortunatley we aren’t visiting  Canterbury Christ Church University as we had no request from faculty their for a visit. We will likely be doing a similar tour next year, if you would like us to visit please use the email link above to contact me and we’ll see if we can make a connection with your faculty.

David: Sorry to hear that your having problems verifying on DreamSpark. Have you tried the Eduserv Athens verification? If your really having problems dme a mail using the link above and we’ll get something sorted out.

Everyone who has requested a code: i will be sending out another batch shortly. If you have requested one up to now (11.30am – 29/2/08) and do not get your code by midnight tonight then let me know.

Thanks,
    Ed

45. David Morris says:

Howdy,

I would like a voucher please — I’m at University of Chichester, and Aalready using DreamSpark…go Bill!

46. David Morris says:

Ok I realised it should have been my ac.uk. address…… <sigh> is it summer yet?   David Morris = <edit>

47. Jamie S says:

Hi Ed,

I’m a student i like the sound of the free webhosting! wouldnt be kind enough to send me a code would you?

Collage email: <edit>

THANKS 😀

48. Stephen McIver says:

Hey ed.  This is so super.  I think this is a great way to get young adults interest in software on the proper side of the market.  So many of my friends use very poor programs because they cannot afford good programs.  This will also be stellar to help get me started on some charity projects.

49. Dan says:

Could I get a code please?

my .ac.uk email is <edit>

50. Scott says:

Hi Ed I would really love a code to get a website started and test out some of the great stuff on channel8.

My email is <edit>

Cheers,

Scott

51. Scott says:

Sorry just thought you might need my .ac.uk email address.

Cheers,

Scott

52. Val says:

hey ed, such a nice initiative.

If you do not mind, I would be really thankful if you could sent one to me at : <edit>.

Thanks in advance,

Val.

53. Valery Nguyen says:

Hi ed,

could you please sent me one of these?

my email address is: <edit>.

i hope it’s not too late.

Thanks.

54. Kate says:

Hi, my e-mail address is: <edit>

55. Valery says:

hey ed, can you please send one code to me?

my email is : <edit>.

Thanks in advance.

Valery.

56. Darren says:

Please could you send me a code i was unable to go to get one at my campus talk 🙁

my email: <edit>

57. Steve Jones says:

Hi Ed,

This is a great idea, could you send me a code please.

Email is: <edit>

Cheers

Steve

58. Tony Molloy says:

Hi Ed,

Could I have a code please?  My email is

Tony

59. ying.chen says:

my emailis:<edit>

60. Jigar Mehta says:

Just read a post at Channel8,

If offer is still going on, can you send me code?

My email id is, <edit>

Thanks,

61. Sarang says:

Dear Ed,

After developing my webpages for the coursework I was really confused to select a webhosting plan. Thanks to you that I’ll be able to host my webpages free. Hope its not too late. My email is: <edit>

Thanks and regards,

Sarang.

62. Sudheer Alladi says:

Hi am student from sheffield hallam. Can you please send me the code.

My email address is:

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Sudheer

63. Luke says:

Hey Ed, could you please send me a code, i’m very interested in this!

email: <edit>

Regards,

Luke

64. Luke Devonshire says:

Hi Ed, am loving the idea of this web space give away is ideal. Would be great if you could send me one of those codes…. if you have any left that is

my email is: <edit>

Luke

65. Munroe says:

Hi could you please send a code to me. My Email is:

<edit>

I’ll add my uni Email on the web page. Thanks!

66. Alasdair Macrae says:

Hey Ed!

Was wondering if I could get one of the web codes!  Cheers my e-mail is

67. Tom says:

Hi Ed,

Is it still possible to get a code, my email is <edit>

Tom

68. Dan Edwardson says:

What about the peps that do 6th form, and the school does not issue *ac.uk emails

Well;

Hey Edd

I like to script ASP.net however the lack of online testing facilities i gave up,

Could i have one please??

69. Edmon says:

Hi, my e-mail address is: <edit>

70. Munroe says:

Hi Ed, Can you send a code to me?

My Email is: <edit>

71. Kris says:

Hi,

could I have a code please? You can catch me at <edit>

72. Waseem Bashir says:

Hey i would like to have the code please.

my email id is <edit>

Plz send me asap

73. Andrea says:

I am a student working on my final year project and would like to sign up for a free hosting account code please.

My university email address is: <edit>

Many Thanks

74. In the second of a series of five articles exploring Microsoft Web technologies we take a look at setting

75. In the second of a series of five articles exploring Microsoft Web technologies we take a look at setting

76. waseem says:

My university email address is:<edit>

Please let me know if you need any further information

Many Thanks

waseem Bashir

77. edunhill1 says:

Hi Guys,

I have just done a big release of hosting codes so if you have requested one on the blog or by email up to this point you should now have it (don’t forget to check that it hasn’t been filtered into your junk mail).

If you have requested up to now and not recieved it then let me know by email.

Ed

78. Dejo says:

Hello Ed,

This is a great offer and timely for me as I am about to do a post-graduate dissertation using ASP.NET. I just requested by email, but thought to drop a line anyway. My email address is <edit>. Thanks!

79. Those of you who have been following my series on Microsoft Web development (see below) may be interested

80. Andrew (Uni Huddersfield) says:

Hi Ed,

I’m just in the process of looking for hosting for one my final year undergrad projects.  This would be ideal for me.  My email address <edit>

81. Ashsih says:

Hi Ed,

I’m a student from ukr university, need a voucher code to create my website using MS technologies.

My University e-mail is <edit>

thanks

82. Marie Aston says:

Hi could i get a code please? my email is <edit> thankyou!!

83. lian says:

Hi Ed,

Is this free hosting still available?

My email is <edit>

84. Paul says:

could you send me the details my email is <edit>

85. Dominic says:

Hi Ed, Do you still have some voucher codes left?

Would be great if you could send me one please. My email is <edit>

86. Nick says:

Heya Ed,

Not sure if this is still available but if possible could you drop a key off at <edit>

Nick

87. Jimmy Ovens says:

Hello,

I’m a student at Bristol University, UK.

Please could you send me an activation code if this free hosting is still available? [Great Offer]

My email address is <edit>

Many Thanks

88. Sarah Clark says:

Hi Ed.

Just heard about your blog from my Tutor.  Just finishing my second yeard degree and would very much appreciate a code so that I can upload my project.

Thans Sarah

89. Sandra Carretero says:

Hi Ed,

I am a student at NEWI Uni, and would like an activation code to host my ASP.Net site.

Sandra

Email: <edit>

90. surfaraz Thakur says:

Hi

I am a student at De Montfort Uni, and would like and activation code, that would allow me to work on asp.net for self teaching purposes please

thanks

surfaraz

91. edunhill1 says:

Hi surfaraz,

Can you give me your email address so I can mail you a code.

Thanks,

Ed

92. joseph says:

I m a stuednt in uk. can u send me a coed as well

and my email is <edit>

thanks

93. Hi Ed

Could I possibly have an activation code for the hosting? I’m going to be working at Microsoft from July and thought I’d brush up on my ASP.NET skills 🙂

Ruben

PS. My email address is <edit>

94. Abhishek says:

Hi,

I am studying in Westminster University, Harrow, London.

And need an account for uploading last year files and test it.

my email is

95. Dishant Mandal says:

hi ed,

I m student (UCLAN)

i need free web space to test my asp.net application.

Could u please help.

thanks

96. Noel Vance says:

Hi, I’m a student at Worcester Uni and would love access to this feature for my dissertation which is due in on Thursday this week.

My uni email is <edit>

Thanks.

97. Dejo says:

Hello Ed,

just completed signing up for the hosting package. I noticed that Webfusion still says that what they are offering is .Net 3.0. No mention of 3.5. Just want to be sure before I make my code dependent upon 3.5

98. Sudhir says:

Hi Ed,

I am an imagine cup participant from the university of HULL. I would like to use the free asp.net hosting to upload our asp.net app. I request you for the code.

99. edunhill1 says:

Hey Dejo,

.NET 3.5 is now supported, it was implemented after the offer was launched and I guess Webfusion just haven’t got round to updating the website.

Ed

100. surfaraz thakur says:

Hi

thanks

surfaraz

101. Panos says:

Hello,

I am not sure with the procedure of receiving the code…

102. edunhill1 says:

Hi Panos,

If you give me your email address I will mail you a code.

Thanks,

Ed

103. matt.ryles says:

Can I please have a code, have 4 modules of asp.net taught next year.

thanks

matt

104. matt.ryles says:

oh my email address is:

rs476537@student.staffs.ac.uk

thanks

105. Ian Davies says:

I’d love some web hosting space. My email address is <edit>

106. Adam says:

Hi, could you please send me a code, my email address is <edit>

Thanks 🙂

107. Stephen says:

Any chance of getting a code looking to do my final year project using ASP.NET next year.

cheers

108. Natalie Wylupek says:

Hi there,

Please can I have a code, I am planning on creating a web application for my masters dissertation and this setup would be perfect for me.

My email is <edit>

Natalie

109. Jia says:

Can I have a code ? I wanna test my new .net website.

I can’t find an email link here.

110. rayj says:

This sounds just the job for my MSc in ecommerce project.  Could you please send me a code at

Thanks.

111. Sofyane says:

Hi there,

It is wonderful !!! can I get one please?

112. Melanie says:

Hello,

Can I have a code please, because i’m creating a cms in asp.net for my master project and i need to host it.

My email is:

Melanie

113. Shoeb says:

Can I have the code please? Doing my final year at Aston University and would use it for academic purpose. Thank a lot

my email ad is

114. Peter says:

Can I have the code please? Need it for a demo site for a research project

my email address is

115. Matt Smith says:

Hi

I would appreciate a code if this offer is still available.

I am currently studying a degree in computer science at the open university.

My email is

Thanks.

116. Joanne says:

What a great service!

Can I get the code please?

My email is;

117. Habib says:

Hi,

Can I have a code please. I’m creating an application in ASP/SQL Server for my MSc thesis project and i need to host it so it can be tested in a live environment.

My email is:

Habib

118. tamilselvi says:

I am student and live in glasgow in united kingdom.

119. Darkchicles says:

^^  por favor me podrian dar un codigo si??

mi e-mail:

120. Adrian Polglase says:

Hi! Is it possible for to obtain a code for this please?

My email address is:

Cheers!

Adrian

121. k says:

hi … studying computing ..just wanted to grab a code 😉

122. Sean Baradaran says:

Hello!

This is a great site. Im at my final year in City University, London, and would like a code pleasee. Its purely for my dissertation and my email ad is:

123. Michael says:

Are these codes still going out?

I’m hoping to get a site to host the portfolio I’ll be making this year =)

Thanks.

124. Ben Carlin says:

Hi there,

Would it be possible for you to give me a code?

My Email is:

Thanks!

125. Dan Keates says:

Would it be possible to get a code?

Email address is

Will help greatly with my CompSci degree!

Thanks!

126. Wayne says:

Could I too have a code?

My Email is:

Many thanks

127. Tim Bradley says:

Hi I used the email link at the top of this page to request a code a week ago. Are you still issuing them??

My Email is

128. dipesh patel says:

hi iam a student at de montford uni could you please send me the code to the follwing e-mail address:

129. J Dixon says:

I am a UK student and this would be great to help me with a module im studying.

My university email address is:

Please contact me via this email for more info.

Many Thanks

J.

130. Abi says:

Are they still going out?

this would be a huge help for me,

My email is

Thanks!

131. Usman Aurangzaib says:

this is my e-mail address:, i need Promotional code, can you pass me promotional code.

thanks!

132. Sue says:

Hi Have only just found this link! probably way too late but worth a try – are there any codes left for me?

Am with Open University but webspace provided is purely for course work only.

Email is

Here’s hoping, thanks Sue

133. shakti says:

Hi can you send me a unique code…

mey email is:

thanks !

134. Mail Calendar Documents says:

Hi there,

Would it be possible for you to give me a code?

Thanks!

135. CY Chai says:

Hi.  Would it be possible for you to email me a code?

My email address is

Many thanks.

136. Mark Black says:

Hi there,

Would it be possible for you to give me a code?

Many   Thanks

e-mail

137. luke says:

hi,

could i get code please

my email is:

thanks

138. Josh says:

Hi,

Could i get the code please?

My Email is:

Cheers!

139. Xue_hu says:

Hi guys,

Could anyone send me a code please? Thanks a million.

My email:

Cheers

Hu

140. sar says:

wel it is really so interesting. i would like to try it please

141. John says:

I am a student to, and want to have the code, please send me the code to

142. Joey Saw says:

Man, I wish I am in UK lol. It’s so hard to find a free and proper web hosting for my project here.

143. Sandeep yadav says:

hi

plz give me code

my mail id :

144. Sue says:

Am I too late for this offer? My email is .

I need it for my project at university. Thank you so much!

145. Su says:

This is a great idea. May I have a code as well? It would be a great help to me.

My email is

Thanks!

146. Alan Breeze says:

Hi,

I desperately need asp.net hosting for my final year project and understand that you can arrange to provide this even if it is only for a short term basis. (6 months would be ideal)

my email is

147. coobaa says:

Hi,Ed,i send you a email and waiting for your  reply:)

Thanks!

148. Josh Richards says:

hey can i get the code please? Thanks

149. Today sees the launch of our DreamSpark programme allowing students around the world to download a selection

150. Graham Booth says:

Hi Ed, I saw your talk at the University of Edinburgh last year – was a small turnout but a great talk.

Could you send me a webhosting voucher code.

My e-mail is: