Here are some “Show Notes” for the SharePoint Solution Designer course for WCM that Mark Arend and I taught on 4/26/2010.
Also note that I’ll update this post with information on when you can get access to the Visio diagrams we discussed today as well as obtain information on future deliveries of the course(s).
Here are a list of the questions that we are tracking for the course:
- When to use content publication
- There should be upcoming documentation that describes when to use content publication and when to consider alternatives. The best guidance I’ve found exists at the following URL in the form of a Visio diagram for content deployment
- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263199(office.14).aspx (All diagrams)
- http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=179391&clcid=0x409 (Content deployment diagram with text indicating when to use content deployment)
- OWA & IPFS for WCM scenarios?
- IPFS for anonymous users?
- Layouts pages skinnable? (other than farm-wide?)
- Meta tags for SEO?
- SEO Optimization in SharePoint 2007: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721591.aspx
- Meta Tag Generator on Codeplex: http://spwcmutils.codeplex.com/
- For Excel Services customization
- Client side object model for Excel Web Access
- What happens to taxonomy hierarchy/inheritance as you make changes? Such as deleting a level?
- You can nest terms to a maximum of seven levels deep. Because you can declare a term to be “unavailable for tagging” (that is, a term that the user cannot select), you have flexibility in how you organize the hierarchy, as illustrated in the examples that are provided in the worksheets.
- Mobile experience for OWA vs. Office Mobile 2010
- Improvements in HA/DR? What about failover of a datacenter?
- We now support database mirroring and the WFEs are aware of the “mirror” connection string.