View Source Reflector tool for .NET Silverlight Sites

One of the nice advantages to Silverlight is that you can view the source of a site to see how things work, but with Silverlight 1.1 Alpha that process became more complex.  While you can still fish through the JavaScript and Xaml to find the .NET assembly(dll) that is doing all the logic it takes a lot more time.

Thus I decided to write a plugin for Lutz Roeder’s Reflector that takes a URL to a Silverlight page and finds the assembly for that page.  It also loads up the JavaScript and root Xaml for the page.

Download

Here is all the source and assembly for the 0.2 Alpha of the Reflector Silverlight Browser.

Install

To install the plugin:

1. Put the “Reflector.SilverlightBrowser.dll” file in the same directory as you have Reflector installed.

2. Launch Reflector

3. Choose “View->Add-ins”

4. Click Add

5. Choose the Reflector.SilverlightBrowser.dll file.

6. To test the plugin try the chess game sample from Silverlight.net

Using the Plugin

Once it is installed hit “CRTL+U” or “File->Open Silverlight URL”.

Paste a link to your favorite Silverlight site into the textbox and hit go.

Protecting Your Code

So the feedback I get when I tell people about this plugin is how can protect the IP in my code from being seen by other people. I have two pieces of advice on that subject.  First option is to keep the code you want to keep protected on your server and then make webservice calls from your client to that code.

The second option is to use Obfuscation.  What is Obfuscation you say? “In the context of software, obfuscation is the process of scrambling the symbols, code, and data of a program to prevent reverse engineering.” – CLR and .NET Security blog.

If you would like to learn more about Obfuscation check out this great post.

Bugs and Features

First off I wrote this in a matter of a day or two with some great guidance from Lutz Roeder so a big thank you to Lutz. Thus there are inevitably going to be a number of bugs in the code.  You have code so feel free to improve it and use it as you like.

The major issue I am going to hear about is that some particular site doesn’t work correctly, if you find a site that doesn’t work that you would like to have work please send me the link.

Second what features are missing that you would like to see?

Third I would love to hear any other feedback you might have to offer.

Enjoy!

1. spaccabit says:

Oggi,navigando fra i vari feeds sottoscritti,ho inciampato in un interessantissimo plugin

2. Ernie has created a Silverlight plug-in for Lutz Roeder’s Reflector . Reflector can already be used to

3. I’m still getting my head around the alpha of Silverlight 1.1. The more, I see, the more I think this

4. Ernie Booth has wrote plugin for Lutz Roeder’s Reflector that takes a URL to a Silverlight host page

5. WynApse says:

Silverlight Cream for May 19, 2007

6. Blogs says:

Much of my HTML, Javascript and CSS learning came by way of the View Source context menu option in Netscape

7. Ernie has started to build a plugin for Lutz Roeder’s Reflector .The plug in will enable to View Source

8. Glavs Blog says:

Just found a nice Silverlight tool by Ernie Booth to aid in my learning process. A plug in for Reflector

9. Another week has shot by. Didn’t have any time to look at Silverlight although I have managed to download

10. Ernie Booth acaba de publicar un addin para Reflector , que nos permite navegar en aplicaciones Silverlight

11. Ernie Booth acaba de publicar un addin para Reflector , que nos permite navegar en aplicaciones Silverlight

12. East says:

喜欢 Lutz Roeder’s Reflector 的朋友注意了, Ernie Booth 在他的博客上发布了 Reflector Silverlight Browser 0.1 alpha ,从 这里

13. 小春 says:

Reflection插件介绍,不得不看^_^

14. Silverlight news – May 21, 2007

15. Curios about Silverlight application’s source code? Ernie Booth has created great Silverlight plug-in

16. 1. Ernie Booth的Reflector Silverlight Browser View Source Reflector tool for .NET Silverlight Sites http

17. Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser , cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation

18. Silverlight Add-In for Reflector

19. SixSix says:

1. Ernie Booth的Reflector Silverlight Browser View Source Reflector tool for .NET Silverlight Sites http://blogs.msdn.com/ebooth/archive/2007/05/19/view-source-reflector-tool-for-net-silverlight-sites.aspx

20. One of the things I’m going to try and start doing is to do a weekly post of useful links on .NET related

21. ASP.NET says:

One of the things I’m going to try and start doing is a weekly blog post of useful/interesting links

22. All this talk of Silverlight has got me stoked …. the problem is two-fold, firstly I aint a web developer

23. I’ve been offline for a little while so I did a bit of blog catching up yesterday and this is the set…

24. Just downloaded the Silverlight Reflector plug-in. That’s a really neat bit of kit, I pointed at my video…

25. Coding4Fun says:

I’ve kept away from Silverlight for a bit since it was a bit too new for me. Now that I’ve had more time

26. Last week Ernie Booth announced a SilverlightBrowser plugin for Reflector . The plugin allows you to

27. I was trying to catch up on what Silverlight is all about the other night and spent some time seeing

28. During the weekend I spent some minutes to collect some of the greatest Silverlight examples. Most of

29. I’ve noticed Wynapse.com has linked back to this blog on a number of occasions, and me being the curious

30. Tim Sneath says:

It’s great to see so many Silverlight-based widgets, samples, demos and applications appearing out there.

31. It's great to see so many Silverlight-based widgets, samples, demos and applications appearing out

32. The number of Silverlight-based widgets, samples, demos and applications is rapidly increasing. Thanks

33. The number of Silverlight-based widgets, samples, demos and applications is rapidly increasing. Thanks

34. Tim Sneath summarized a list of 50 Silverlight Apps. Here is the list. 2D Physics Simulation Grand Piano

35. Tim Sneath summarized a list of 50 Silverlight Apps. Here is the list. 2D Physics Simulation Grand Piano

36. I will be in the Atlanta, GA area this week, and dropping by Monday night to do a quick Silverlight Overview.

37. neuhawk says:

50个Silverlight应用程序.

38. tims收集了50个Silverlight应用/示例:(某些demo需要安装Silverlight 1.1 alpha版本 Windows install / Mac install 。1.1 alpha已经包含了1.0

39. tims收集了50个Silverlight应用/示例:(某些demo需要安装Silverlight 1.1 alpha版本 Windows install / Mac install 。1.1 alpha已经包含了1

40. hxjl says:

2D Physics Simulation Grand Piano Silverlight Mind Map 3D Teapot Demo Infragistics Controls Demo Silverlight

41. Bryan Chow says:

分享几个国外的silverlight例子和blog GreatVisualStudioQuickStarts

42. tims收集了50个Silverlight应用/示例:(某些demo需要安装Silverlight 1.1 alpha版本 Windows install / Mac install 。1.1 alpha已经包含了1

43. Hubka.net says:

44. Tim Sneath says:

Now that the API-complete RC releases of Silverlight have been out for a couple of weeks, most developers

45. tims: 2D Physics Engine , Amazon Search Visualization , Ant Attack , AOL Social Mail Gadget , Beatboxing

46. Here is a list of 50 apps that have been run on Silverlight RC: 2D Physics Engine , Amazon Search Visualization

47. Here is a list of 50 apps that have been run on Silverlight RC: 2D Physics Engine , Amazon Search Visualization

48. tims: 2D Physics Engine , Amazon Search Visualization , Ant Attack , AOL Social Mail Gadget , Beatboxing

49. Silverlight Airlines Demo Silverlight Mind Map Grand Piano 3D Teapot Demo Infragistics Controls Demo

50. Jetzt wo die API von Silverlight 1.0 mit dem RC fest ist, spriessen immer mehr Anwendungen aus dem Boden

51. Wenn man Silverlight Installiert hat findet man auf der MSDN Seite, eine Vorschau der Channel9 Videos. Auf der Seite von Tim Sneath hab ich eine Liste mit Silverlight Samples gefunden. Quelle: Tim Sneath : Updated Silverlight Samples and

52. guaibaobei says:

Silverlight相关链接(Reflector插件,Silverlight控件等 ) 1. Ernie Booth的Reflector Silverlight Browser View Source

53. Já pensou em usar o Silverlight? Nunca ouviu falar? Aprenda mais sobre ele aqui: http://www.linhadecodigo

54. Tecnologias says:

55. Den här är inte ny – men jag har inte lekt med den förrän nu och tänkte jag skulle tipsa ifall du har