Guidelines on Comments

As the community participates in the E7 blog, we want to offer some guidelines on how we are going handle comments in general.  Our primary goal is for this to be a place for open discussion about Windows Engineering, so we don’t want to have lots of overhead and process.

We love comments.  We know everyone on the Windows team will be watching for comments and is looking forward to the dialog.  We will work to make sure that Microsoft employees represents themselves as such, especially if they work on Windows.

Things we want to see in comments:

• Lots of good interesting responses on Windows and the posts on E7Blog

• Keep it on topic

• Keep it respectful

• Keep it fun

Things that will get comments edited/deleted:

• Offensive or abusive language or behavior

• Misrepresentation (i.e., claiming to be somebody you’re not) – if you don’t want to use your real name, that’s fine, as long as your “handle” isn’t offensive, abusive, or misrepresentative

• Blog-spam of any kind

We hope these rules will keep the discussion lively and on topic.

Steven and Jon

1. parithon says:

I look forward to all the upcoming information but… who forgot the RSS feed? This feature is almost required for blogs today. I’m sure you know we’re all too busy to refresh our browsers in order to find out if a new post has been published.

2. AriPernick says:

parithon: Look on the right side for "Syndication", also the site is advertising the feeds in the autodiscover way many readers support.

3. gonzc900 says:

This will really help in the development of Windows 7. Much like Long Zhegs site http://aerotaskforce.com

users can join, post their suggestions or comments and others can eirther rate up down or be neturl on the topics. Instead of reading through long blog comments or reading thousands of e-mails the site will help you a lot more as people will vote on an topic. The Higher the number the more people like it, hence more of a reason you should add it.

I would start early, or at least by beta 1. This is the only other way to get good feedback from non-beta testers as you’ll see how many agree or disagree on an idea. Log-ins can be based on your passport ID and site moderated by the windows team it self.

let me know what you think of this idea. Dont see why it wont work.,,

4. vlsi0n says:

Awesome, I expect there will be some very exciting news coming out of this blog.  Looking forward to it and I also subscribed to the RSS feed!

5. Cj Anderson says:

I cannot emphasize performance enough.  In the corporate world if you save us an extra second or minute per click you are saving us money and frustration.  Bottom line is whatever aesthetics and UI changes Windows 7 gets, make sure it can be easily shut off so we can squeeze extra performance out.  I know you guys have made some great modular changes to how components are added/removed in Vista.  I say build upon that, and make sure that there is an easy way to go into “performance mode”.  The real/perceived performance of the next Windows OS should blow Vista out of the water.

Also, keep in mind we need every ounce of computing power and resources.  I know typically you think if it’s not actively being ran in process it’s not an issue, it’s merely HD space.  However, I implore you to reconsider, because that still costs businesses money.  The less data you have in your core OS, means faster imaging with Acronis or Ghost, etc.

Thank you for setting up this blog, and I certainly appreciate your hard work.  You guys have done a lot of good for the business world.

6. a-wolfgang says:

I have to agree with Cj Anderson having an option to switch windows 7 into a pure performance os would be very useful. Or even better to have the option to install it as a stripped down version similar to what you can get with xplite. I can understand from a marketing point its good to have eye candy for people to be wowed. But firstly you need to demonstrate unequivocally that windows 7 will outperform previous os, without the need for marketing math trickery to make it look better. Give people the option to add the visual eye candy as they are experiencing windows and not just throw it at them all at once. This way they can appreciate the visuals more and have a better understanding of the impact of the visuals on they’re system.

7. atv says:

I also agree with the postings above. In the windows 7 release, everything should be about performance, production and datasecurity. Save the eye candy for the home editions, and focus on disk, network and cpu throughput.

Try to ensure in the next edition that one process cannot take all cpu power or disk throughput – crippeling the whole os while doing that. See what you can do about write behind failures on a busy network; slow throughput is always better than dataloss. Impress us, and outperform XP on the same hardware!

8. panhead20 says:

Will there be a version of Windows 7 without the protected process architecture? The inability to debug and independently verify protected processes on secure computers prevents us from using Vista and Server 2008. We have no need for ‘premium content’ playback.

9. fabio.l.milan says:

One thing I think would be very interesting would be, maybe, including a 3D desktop. So whatever you see on your screen could be just one part of a bigger 3D space, and you cold have several windows open and you could just change the portion of what is currently seen. I’ve seen something like this on a presentation of Sun, I think, you had eight views and you could just swicht between them and the windows could be made transparent, so you could see whatever was below them. You could also put notes on the window’s back and other things. It was interesting, but what I’m proposing is one step further: you wouldn’t have just eight views of a cube, but rather you could look anywere along a X and Y axis. I don’t know if adding a moviment along a Z axe would add more interesting possibilities, but you could try.

Thanks.

10. rhking says:

Personally, I would HATE the idea of any significant development effort being spent on eye-candy or 3D desktops.  IMO, the last two versions (XP and Esp. Vista) have suffered from the fact that "how it looks" seems to have taken precedence over "how it works".  Granted, a lot of fine infrastructure works was done in both versions, but a quick glance at the "unkept promises list" is heavily weighted toward internal features that had real value. Being a developer, I also wish the look and feel were more loosely coupled with the core OS and could more easily be altered. A solid kernel paired with a solid SET of GUI shells (as in Linux) would allow for more tailored user experiences (steak vs sizzle, if you will), as CJ and others above have suggested.

11. rhking says:

Just to clarify a bit, as I meant to address Fabio’s 3D idea. Personally, I just can’t grasp why such an interface would be of value to me, or to the vast majority of users. It would seem to me that a user would have to be engaged in a significant number of tasks (all of which would have to be semi-active if not fully active) to have the need for such an interface. For most users, including some hard-core ones with 10-15 windows active at all times, the "lazy-susan approach" of the alt-tab, with enhancements to provide a solid means of supporting multiple desktops, is more than sufficient.

12. mn8026 says:

Agree with all the above here’s what I would love to see:

1) 1 SKU! just WINDOWS no pro, no home just windows

2) How about run Windows Ontop of a Hypervisor !  now there is something that can change everything.  Think about this, No need to provide ANY backwards compatibility in Windows 7 running ontop of a Hypervisor or HyperV at the core.  Why? Because you can simply run that in a second VM !

3) Sell Microsoft Branded Hardware with the Real Windows Experience.  MS is in control of how everything performs, functions, acts, etc.  Very similar to Apple in that respect and MS should be allowed to operate in the same level as Apple.  Yes, other 3rd party vendors should still be allowed to sell there hardware but the new primary HW Vendor should be MS.

4) Think Application Virtualization:  We should be encouraging single binary executables that includes everything a program needs to run.   This improves security, since you no longer have to worry about what Area of the C: Drive programs are installing to, and how much registry access is the program allowed to get to.  See Vmware’s Application Virtualizaion technologies to get a better idea.

5) Think Context Senstive Scripting!  Similar to SQL Server 2005 when you right click on a specific object and do a task like create a table you can tell it to create you a script for a task.  Now, apply that to windows in general, you are creating a new user accout in windows but want to script it! we’ll RIGHT click! and select an option to create a script for that task.

6) X64 BIT ONLY! DONT even think x32 .. DONT DO IT! you have to go x64 only sometime and hey if you listen to me on point #2 it doesn’t matter! you can run x32 for backwards compatibility

7) Touch ! Touch ! Touch ! hey its the wave of the future so just get behind it whatever way you can.

8) GIVE Businesses a REASON to upgrade.  All I have heard in the past 2-3 years is there is NO business reason to upgrade to Vista.  So Give them one!

Keep it simple, quick, reliable, and most importanly secure

13. MasumX@Live.Com says:

Lots of good interesting responses on "Wndows" and the posts on E7Blog.

I’m surprise nobody caught it. "Wndows" or "Windows". I can already see where Windows 7 is heading..

14. Luminus15 says:

15. Joe Mazzini says:

As important as 64-bit is to the very near future of all levels of users, I want to speak up for insuring that future releases of *any* software by *anyone* utilize the incredibly powerful (and relatively inexpensive) use of dual quad-core CPUs: in particular, the Intel Xenon X5400 series.

To my knowledge Microsoft already has implemented (or soon will) exploitation of these multi-core CPUs. Heck, even 2000Pro will let the user assign applications to each of 16 cores! However, we need true multitasking and utilization of the parallel processing nature of these new, remarkable Intel chips.

RogueWave offers the software answer; and I hope that everyone takes a few minutes to review their white paper on the subject:

Finally, it is interesting that more and more "home-brew" or "custom-built" supply sources such as TigerDirect offer excellent information and advice about the use of Dual Quad Core CPUs. I just purchased a Dell with the relatively inexpensive option of 3.2MHz Intel Dual Quad Core processors, so the very near future is here now with truly incredible things on the horizon at Intel, Dell and its competitors, and, of course, Microsoft. The ideal would be X64 *and* multicore utilization by *all* Microsoft software with a simple GUI "switch" to customize Microsoft’s OS and software for downward compatibility–much like what you already allow us to do with running older applications such as 98, etc.

Sincere appreciation to you guys for creating this blog! Joe.

16. dkoum says:

The next operating system

1 its should be only 64 bit : Now the majority of cpu is 64 bit

2 the windows  os must be one sku with 1 price and to be modular. Each user in the setup process can choose the packets that want to install

3 build the kernel totally from scratch no compatibility with old applications (compatibility kills innovation ) I think it’s time for Microsoft to look ahead and innovate

4 build in the kernel virtualization technics so the old applications run through virtualization

5 flexible ,for example when a user runs a game the aero user interface automatically turned off and when the user exit from the game the the aero turned back on

the kernel  grew a lot because every windows new version  the code base is the previous version the code extended a lot through the years and  became not easy to control and to debug and to create more innovative things

leave back applications ,make a new  flexible reliable ,modular ,secure  kernel , application compatibility can be through virtualization

the kernel  should have parts

1  windows core kernel  with patch protection

2  windows user kernel

All the applications and drivers should install in the windows user kernel and the core kernel should interact with user kernel

17. jimfoye2@hotmail.com says:

I second the "1 SKU" suggestion.

I’ve had dual processor machines since NT 3.5. I swear Windows had better thread management back then, somewhere along the way something changed. And, why does Windows swap so much still? On a 2 gig machine, it wants to swap when there’s plenty of memory around. Has anybody looked at the swap algorthim in the last decade?

18. terrafirma says:

…isn’t that a description that would encompass most of the Apple Mac OS? Not that that’s a bad thing, but just ensure that the concepts are what users (predominantly corporate) want and construct it bottom up!

19. dkoum says:

microsoft with windows vista version did a big leap into the security part of the operating system. But the big problem about windows as an operating system is that the kernel grow a lot as a resault the system in not flexible and is resource hungry

microsoft with windows nt in the past had made an incompatible os ,but it was very stable compared to windows 95 and truly 32 bit compared to windows 95

Now the technology of cpu’s make possible to build an operating system truly 64 bit and more secure more reliable and more flexible

microsoft can build inside the kernel virtualization techniques so old application should run properly via virtualization and without compromise the kernel at all

so the operating system work more reliably

windows need a kernel more flexible and more modular a kernel better than nt ,NT KERNEL is

old

for me its a waste of time to work to a new operating system trying to patch and to fix bugs of a previous operating system and to design just a new user interface

please don’t make windows 7 based on windows vista kernel

20. Charles Canale says:

I agree with most of what I’ve read so far, my short specific list is;

1) 2 flavors, Business and Home

2) Run Windows on top of Hypervisor!

3) Give me away to turn off the balloons.  I don’t know how many people it helps but it’s just a pain for me.

4) Like everyone on these comments have been saying, give businesses a reason for upgrading, 64-bit cpu and multi-core performance.  This means stuffing your mouths with your own dog food, like the MS parallel computer initiative.

Remember performance, and most importantly security over eye candy!

By CharlesCanale@hotmail.com

21. gonzc900 says:

I dissagree with # 1. I’d like to see only 1 Os with all the features. Why the need for two? 1 is all we need.

22. lenalfred says:

Okay, I’m just a User, not an engineer but I think I would like to vent some ideas for Windows 7. It looks good, however, consider looking at those "fake versions" of Windows 7 on Youtube. Some of those ideas are worth looking into. I do agree with not changeing the Kernal from Vista. Too many changes will leave your current users frustrated. Honestly, changing the kernal and registry is extremely frustrating because I have software for XP that’s not compatible with Vista that I really liked. I don’t like the updated versions of the 3rd party. Having an OS with the capabilities to use old software we love would be great.

When developing the OS, keep full integration of your other products in mind for expansion (i.e., Zune, Windows Mobile 6 or 7 soon, xbox 360, etc). Don’t let the competitor, the one whos name begins with an "A" beat you in ease of use and integration. You have more partners, integration should be your greatest strength. When one person buys a product, instant integration should happen. If I had a PC with Vista Ulitmate and I bought a Zune, it should be automatic to sync and integrate with out question.

Having different versions of the OS is okay but too many version for too many reasons can confuse the customers. I think you should have W7 Home, W7 Professional, W7 Ultimate. That’s it! With the Ultimate (this will take you on a loop) Should only be sold with Microsoft Computers. Yes, get into the hardware business. Zune and XboX is doing well, why not? Besides, the only real way to ensure the hardware quality is set for the OS is to make the hardware yourself. Buy a company like Shuttle or someone small and make your ultimate exculsive to Microsoft Brand Computers. These computers should come loaded with everything, including Office – Limited edition. Make the Machine compatible with Xbox games. Back to the subject, consider these ideas for W7. I look forward to the touch screen experience. Also, inform your partners of how many computer now are strong enough to support W7 and don’t want to get another computer. HP, Dell, Acer, etc need to consider making touch screen monitors and software NOW so people can buy them. Make them compatible with NOW computers. No one wants to buy a new computer for the touch screen, Surface experience.  The economy is awful, we are interested in saving, not spending.

23. Dllamas says:

One operating system would be nice but would need to be marketable to both home users and business users.  I would like to see something rolled out where you have the option during installation to customize per the ‘user’ installation from home to business, from ALL eye candy – to no eye candy, to help baloons or none…my point here is customizing to the user from novice/home user-advanced/business user in one installation.  Also, noted above, 64 bit with 32 bit backward-compatibility, IMO 32 bit can’t totally be written off here as a large number of software companies/hardware manufacturing drivers are still only offering support to 32 bit after a  few years of 64bit being available.  But, just like other operating systems over the years have done will soon write off old technology and advance to newer 64 bit.  Keep performance over ‘appeal’.  Realistically thinking appeal is nothing without performance…and that is what the past two operating systems(Vista & XP) have marketed.  Both OS’ have appealed to home users, more so vista, but performance has been subpar to the interface (candy look) and takes numerous tweaks and work arounds to get satisfactory results with either operating system. There will be lots of ideas and hope to read others opinions for relative insight and exchange of ideas while microsoft works on the new OS. Cheers!

24. ackerson1@yahoo.com says:

I agree wholeheartedly with mn8026.

My recommendations:

1.  A single OS.  Don’t differentiate between numerous flavors of desktops and servers.  Allow the user to purchase major components a la carte.

2.  Separate the OS kernel from the GUI and file system and allow third-party developers to develop them under "very strict" MS standards.

3.  Allow a stripped-down (GUI-less) version of the OS for server functions.

4.  Build on top of Hypervisor.

5.  Don’t automatically give network IO priority!  What a pain to have the entire OS wait for a single network IO request!!!

6.  64bit only!  I don’t own a 64bit PC, but I would be willing to buy one for the right OS.

7.  Overhaul MS licensing.  As a IT pro, MS licensing is always a major pain.  Provide a one-time grandfathering of all previously purchased OS licenses(with proof).

25. gonzc900 says:

Cant keep stop saying it. Keep the name simple,(Windows 7 sounds good enough  one Os can target all uses. Have different modes like "business" mode witch will turn off all eye candy and increased performance. "advanced" mode will have everything (power users, high end computers) and "standard mode" will feature XP like performance.

You can make it look great all you want. its 2008. stay with the times.If people dont want the eye candy they can switch to business mode.

26. Komatoz says:

Can I upgrade my Licens Win Vista to Win7? (to use my licens number for windows 7)

27. pinko76 says:

What’s to improve and implement in Windows 7, compared to Windows Vista:

PERFORMANCES:

I want windows 7 64 bits, is very much faster than windows vista 64-bit, or much faster loading applications, when much faster, much faster loading applications in systray, much faster throughout short Because windows vista is especially slow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMPATIBILITY ‘:

I want windows 7 64-bit is also much more compatible windows vista 64-bit applications with native 64-bit and then later with those 32-bit!

GUI:

I want windows 7 has a graphical user interface very much more beautiful windows vista but at the same time much more efficient, more optimized,immediate and consistent, compared to GUI windows vista !!!!!!!!!!!!

I stress, animations really advanced that in view windows vista are insufficient, in consistency, SUPERBAR similar to OFFICE 2007, large icons, applications, applications to be launched and applications in the systray, all integrated into SUPERBAR through the SWITCHING of BUTTONS relating to each of these functions, as in OFFICE 2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not want more windows 7 icons scattered applications that fill the desktop, the desktop should be cleaned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In addition, the FLIP 3D windows vista, want to be eliminated in windows 7 because it’s not useful, not necessary.

Integrating in windows 7 a function of switching between windows much more useful and efficient optimized !!!!!!!!!!

CODE:

In addition I want the code of windows 7 but is very much optimized windows vista 64 bit, so do windows 7 an operating system, very fast, that takes as few hardware resources than windows vista, big optimization in energy saving!!! and code generally.

Then Directx 11 in windows 7 exploiting the GPGPU really well, for the computation massive graphics, physics, artificial intelligence, all through the GPGPU, not only of the games, but all the heavy applications, such as 2D-3D applications, scientific, multimedia and better optimization for multicore CPUs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, I hope that windows 7 is issued to you in the market no later than CHRISTMAS 2009 and not in 2010!

I say this also because so MICROSOFT, it will be good in Christmas 2009 sales windows 7.

Not repeating the mistake of windows vista, issued in January, but on the contrary, repeat a date similar to the issue of the Far windows XP, in October, in the case of windows 7, October, November 2009!!!

Sorry for my english.

Thanks MICROSOFT !!!!!

28. pinko76 says:

I hope that the directx 11 integrated into windows 7 also allow the games for PC’s, to achieve real quality graphics in real time, equal to the quality graphics prerendering!!!!

29. Guido Pestoni says:

I definately want a business OS, not a one size fits all like Vista. I know you’ve got different flavours in Vista, but seriously, the Business Vista loooks like it was made for a CEO who never uses his / her computer.

Business should be streamlined, no games, no animations, no fancy pants extra’s.

It should run as fast and as efficiently as possible.

30. lenalfred says:

As I read through the comments, I have to change my mind and go with one size fits all but during the set up have either Home or Business as a selection. I am sure there is a way to have one OS to suit the CFO and all the IT personnel in a business organization and suit the couch potato Gamester with all the bells and whistles.  Make the Home be the Ultimate. I really like the looks of my Vista Ultimate and how my desktop has the running water and the Bitlocker Drive Encryption. Consumers don’t want to pay extra for those things. It’s Microsoft – They already expect the best.

31. lenalfred says:

Correction CFO should be CIO 🙂

32. gonzc900 says:

They could have different modes under ONE OS. Like a Bisniess mode that you want… other modes for other

33. NDSM says:

Hi,

Maybe I’m oversimplifying things but why can’t Microsoft just skin Windows onto a UNI* like OS?

It would seem to be a way to win hearts and minds and solve a lot of perceived problems with the way things are done now.

If I’m not mistaken MS is a UNI* license holder anyhow and even had their own release called XENIX.

In my opinion if MS just does the same old with NTFS under Windows with 7 the grief is just going to be the same.  It would seem to me to be a good time to do something radical.

34. sinephase says:

no more NT please? why would it be beneficial to rehash the same old thing? Vista is already there and new and requires a lot of further development to further NT, so what’s the point of making another one from the ground up? I heard about a side project for a windows alternative of sorts, which is apparently geared towards correcting the flaws of existing OS’s like unexpected application interactions, etc. Also, a lot of the features which people want could be added to Vista anyway.

We certainly need something new; something that has virtual machine capabilities that can work on the fly with the ability to have older apps work in the OS as they’re supposed to, but have newer tech which can allow software to run even more independently than before. With the amount of RAM people can have these days it should be purely 64 bit. It would be beautiful to get everything working quickly and smoothly.

35. mtoth says:

at http://www.aerotaskforce.com/t/all is a list with features that some windows user want to get fixex/extended/modified in newer versions.

i found some interesting items that would be nice in my opinion.

36. sandman23 says:

i hope i can post my ideas here…

i am webdeveloper and some upgrades btw. new features for copy, paste, cut would be nice.

-> "when the user markes some text and he has allready some text in his cache (ram), he can change the text in his cache and the marked text."

or when the user markes a text and he pressed the shift button the marked text will be in uc or lc mode.

37. Elz says:

Please make Windows 7:

-extremely modular (small components and features)

-reload components on error without crashing the whole system

-fast boot speed (only essential components should be loaded at boot, the rest on demand only)

-allow the user to customize the installation as he/she wishes (needed components installed when/if needed)

-flashy UI should be customizable and should be a custom feature at installation

-swapping (swap file) should be customizable, eventually turned off totally. Maybe i want to rely on my RAM only.

– No hanging. The thing i hate the most is to wait for the computer to recover. This really should be solved somehow. It’s ok , the task needs 5 minutes to complete but don’t utilize all my resources, because i might want to browse the net in the meantime.

– i want to be able (as admin) to fully and easily configure, tweek everything i want and if possible from one single place. Settings should be categorized.

Ultimately the OS should allow me to access in record time the basic (preconfigured at installation) features that i chose.

Have a nice day!

38. Elz says:

The Windows7 installation should have the following types:

1. Standard (balanced set of features with the mostly used ones installed, the rest when needed)

2. Business (no gaming , minimal entertainment features, the rest when needed)

3. Gaming (optimized for gaming, other features installed when needed)

4. Multimedia and Entertainment

5. Server (only server features, optimized for servers like IIS etc)

6. Custom (totally customizable mode)

Each component and feature should be very well explained!

39. Big Nick says:

Shouldn’t most of above comments be in the Engineering Windows 7 Stream?

40. ROBBIEJUK06 says:

Since the launch of Windows Vista, I as well as others have noticed short falls of the new OS, it lacked most of the "WOW" pormised well before day one (launch).

I like others were beta testers of Windows Vista and repeatedly send feedback to Microsoft asking for this to be fixed, that the be added or whatever to be removed, but we all can agree or disagree that our comments fell on deaf ears and to that end we had come to expect that we were not going to succeed in anyway.

Yes Microsoft did listen to most of the feedback but the user perception didn’t change and the short falls were still evident at the time and still are..

Windows Vista uses to much system resources to do every day tasks, the same tasks that Windows XP can do without a sneeze Vista seems to sneeze, cough and splutter and no matter what remedy you give it to cure it’s ailments nothing works long term, Microsoft seems to find short term solutions or claim to have found a cure only for it to end up with more symptoms to the cost of users.

Is there an obligatory light at the end of the tunnel, well there could be and that it for Microsoft to listen to its customers and users and say "right time to do this properly, the users want speed, we’ll give them speed" etc.

Example – I send off a suggestion to Microsoft regarding Disk Defragmenter, i set it up get in running and close all Disk Defragmenter windows and let it do it’s thing, but there is no way to tell if this application is running or what the status is, except to open Task Manager and check the running processes, so i recommended that a icon be made available next to the system clock on the Task Bar so that when a user runs Disk Defragmenter they can hover over the icon and check the status but this had/has fallen on deaf ears to which it wasn’t even included in Service Pack 1.

So please don’t automatically reject suggestions or assume that a particular problem is irreproducible, research everything to the fullest ability before a conclusion is made and hopefully everything and caught every and save Microsoft future embarrassment.

We all know Windows Vista’s short falls were caused by the Longhorn development reset but this souldn’t have happend in the first place, lessons to be learnt.

41. Chief says:

Let’s not rearrange everything again, give us the option to have a classic view, or xp view.

I really like the look and feel of the Windows 2000 security panel over XP or Server 2003.

64 bit only please, but add an XP VM that you can install and run your 32 bit apps on.

Tool bar control, allow us to modify the font, and size of the text on the tool bar or any tool bar we add.

Performance Counts!

Kill that security beast that prompts you everytime you want to make any setting changes, or at least give us and "Admin Mode" where you don’t get warnings when you try to make system changes.

Create an easy to use interface to customize your right click, and to customize your copy and paste. What if I have 2 or 3 items I am coping to multiple places. It would cool to have multiple memory locations and I could hit ctrl + 2v to paste the second piece of data.

Allow us to schedule Windows indexing, during lunch time would be good, but not righ after boot up.

Add more strength to MSconfig. I.E. I can kill an app in MSconfig, I don’t use a certain app but once a month. So the next time I use the app it over rides all settings and puts it’s self in the start up folder. If I turn something off in MSconfig or delete it from start up, there should be an option that when I choose to remove an app from MSconfig or Start up, Windows should ask "Do you want to prevent this from coming back?"

42. veddoo says:

Fast, easy

i dont want something that devours my memory. As easy as possible. Something like windows xp or even 98SE. What do most people use the computer for? i for one dont use it to show off what i can do with a touch screen, or how cool my aero works, i intend to work on it and possibly play games, and thats hard cosidering that i have to spend lots of money on memory and power. keep it simple, and safe at leat one version, like lenalfred said; we want to save and not spend, and to add not spend alot or u wont be in business. Keep in mind that flashy thing don’t make things better. keep also in mind that more than 60% of windows users dont even know how to change their resolution on the screen…moreover how to uninstall an app.

43. tophness says:

On the topic of comments,

Mine aren’t appearing for some reason :S

It goes straight to the blog index after I click submit. Is there a character limit?

Hope this post works..

44. tophness says:

Sorry belay that. yeah there was a character limit. Just split it up into multiple comments.

45. davidtan says:

Really hope that it ain’t just another eye candy such as vista is.

46. Chief says:

I forgot to add word wrapping to the customizable tool bar. Some times my description is too long, but necessary, and I do not want a really wide vertical tool bar. So word wrapping would make the tool bar width smaller.

47. ting says:

What i’d like to see above all else is a pure 64bit multitasking OS as others have suggested prior to my comment, make it small (small enough that it could be ROM’d if required for that instant on feature), make it VERY fast BeOS can boot in 15 seconds on my PII 350MHz system with 256Mb ram why has a MS OS never been able to match this?

Forget about backward compatibitilty MS Office can be re-compiled for windows 7, Business users don’t need much else, if they do then it’s upto the software house to re-write their code for the OS. If all else fails Vista is still available off the shelf.

48. lenalfred says:

Since Windows Media Player comes with the OS, Please consider unifying Windows Media Player and Zune Player. We would like to see one play all (mp3, mov, mpeg4-movie, real movie/real audio, etc.) I hate having WMP, Quicktime, Real Player, and Nero.  Also, please consider making WMP burn music CDs with texted tracks so when you play the cd on other devices, the song title appears.

49. pinko76 says:

Dear Team Windows 7, place other goals which I consider essential to have a successful windows 7 operating system:

1) Start the possibility through tools developed by you or third parties, enabling easy to integrate once and for all, fixes and service packs in future Windows 7 operating system, so as it was in the past with Windows XP, through instruments like Vlite or Nlite !!!!!!!

2) I repeat once again, the merger team on the performance of the operating system, in order to have a Windows 7 64-bit Edition in particular, very fast, in every area of use, very fast in the boot, very fast in opening one or many applications simultaneously, very  fast everywhere, like or more clearly superior in performance to Windows Server 2008!

3) I reiterate also that the team focuses on improving markedly, so excellent compatibility of Windows 7 64 Bit edition, with all applications to 32 and 64-bit In particular (since the users migrating from now on Windows Vista 64-bit, Massively).

This is because Windows Vista 64 Bit Edition Service Pack 1 is still cumbersome and incompatible with some applications such as those for the 3d image processing, photo editing and 3D applications, in fact Windows Vista still often goes in crasch !!!!!!!!

This must be definitively resolved in Windows 7 64 Bit edition !!!!!

4) Going back to the GUI, I hope that the changes made to Windows 7 give a GUI, fast, efficient, intuitive and above all,  consistent coherent!!!!

The ideal would also have a Taskbar or  Superbar  style of  RIBBON OFFICE 2007, with appropriate modifications, optimized for the use of an operating system like Windows 7 !!!!!

Finally I would like to stress once again that it would be very successful, release available on Windows 7 Market no later than Christmas 2009 !!!!!!!!!!

Please, team, even for the good of Microsoft and success selling Windows 7, it released on the market by November, up in December 2009!!!!!!

If it released in early 2010, would be very  very  harmful for users and company (believe me even though I am nobody, a user any )!!!!!!!

Do not repeat the mistake the date of release of Windows Vista!!!!!

Repeat, if possible, a roadmap identical to that which has been in the past for Windows XP,  October 2001 ……………. in the case of Windows 7, October, November 2009 for Sale Market International and European !!!!!!!!

Listen to a poor idiot as spokesman Italian many users, but for different reasons (thanks to the work that  doing)    I know well as not commit  business and  technics  mistakes!!!!!!!

Thanks  Microsoft and Dear Windows  7 Team!!!!!!!

Excuse me again for my English is not perfect!!!!!!!

50. ferds7 says:

PERFORMANCE: Should without question be the number one priority. It’s always been one of the top bragging points about my previous Windows. Make it run fast and do your best to get as many driver companies on board right away.

CUSTOMIZATION: Before the OS is installed and after the OS is installed (Like your "TweakUI" program but with many more options). I want to chose not just graphic things but background programs and additional software to get rid of, as well as many of the annoying (to me) features that TweakUI helps with. A clear explanation of such processes would also help users in making their Windows faster as well.

By doing this you only need one version, even though I assume your reasons for many versions comes down to making more money.

**Maybe, if you have time or in a release all on its own, you could also throw in something that allows people to do major tweaks on the GUI (much like StyleXP does). It could be the Windows 7 Bonus Pack that has all the fancy bells and whistles for people who like to have that type of stuff on their Windows Copy. People could create and share their own Windows desktop themes, icons, screen savers, boot screens, login screens, widgets, etc.

51. Wildebeast says:

1.  I want to be able to archive my patches for my OS.  I seem to re-install XP every 18 months or so, on average.  I have multiple computers, all running the save version of XP home.  I’d like to be able to put my basic patches on a disc, so I don’t have to d/L sp2 a dozen times.

If you want to discourage piracy or other malicious use of this, tie the patches to the admin or registered owner’s name.

2.  I’m recalling that XP has IE built in, because it was "the natural next step for the desktop."  Maybe it’s already this way, in Vista, but I really think the OS needs a full-featured configurable firewall built in.  Second & 3rd party firewalls really mess with XP.

3.  Allow the uninstallation of IE, OE, and MS messanger.

4. Don’t put quick-start icons on the desktop, every time an IE or OE patch is made.  (I have no on-desktop start icons, because it’s my choice.)

52. pinko76 says:

Would be very pleased that in windows 7, windows explorer, is a double panel for a huge efficiency in file operations (copy-shift-size-paste), in the style of some programs thirds as:::: Total Commander of Ghisler:

Thank you!!!!!!

53. tbsssx says:

Performance is absolute key. Why is Windows (and not only Windows) so amazingly astonishingly slow?  Is it *all* race conditions?  Is the new security slowing things down right through the APIs (perhaps by copying stereotypical but there you go MS project management style: up-up-up-along-down-down-down-up-up-up-along-down-down-down?) Are we stuck because although our CPUs are *way* faster, guarantees about execution time (worst case excepted) are harder and harder to come by?  Are there problematic interactions between high and low level stuff (eg .NET garbage collection vs CPU caching policies)?  Is it just the real world refusing to play as nicely as our abstractions would have us imagine?  Again.

Do we need (perhaps we have) really tiny inner kernels matched to CPU’s? Can some of the kernel go on die?

All I know is, the older I get, the less I want to wait.

54. vinilkant says:

1. Display Resolution Independence

2. Windows Virtual Desktop inbuilt

3. Customizable Windows Environment

(should be able to disable all graphics elements from windows) (Allow users to create their own environment)

4. Multiprocessing enabled tabs in internet explorer

5. System management specifically device memory management.

6. Ability to multitask between OS’s.

7. Crash recovery (includes driver recovery / roll back patches / IE crashes)

8. Graphics Configuration based on DX1*

55. Kineo says:

I look forward to the hopefully new things included in Win7. The biggest feature I see a lot of people wanting is performance. Requiring a monster of a computer to run any OS is counter productive. Many people are put off by not only buying a new OS, or upgrading but also having to make major improvements on their computers to handle it. I would also like to see better multiprocessing capabilities, we have these super processors with 2 and 4 cores but the software has not kept up with the hardware side. If you need any more beta testers let me know, I have a few systems available in our lab.

Thanks for your time.

56. punio4 says:

how come my comments don’t get posted?

57. pinko76 says:

I hope that a windows 7 kernel core Team will be a great job , for extreme performance in windows 7 64 bit edition, not only boot, but , a windows 7 operating system , extreme fast in all application 32 and 64 bit execution.

And support true multicore cpu and gpgpu for fast and extream performance and compatibility applications , in all scenarios.

Because Windows Vista is slow also in high hardware configuration!!!!

And remember, great date , is windows 7 on market in 2009!!!!

Thanks!!!

58. pinko76 says:

Again, the key points of windows 7, must be:

Performance and compatibility:

I mean that people expect from  windows 7 Kernel Core not only benefits the boot, but a windows  7 Very fast  in all scenarios.

That is, very fast, very fast in opening all applications, very fast development of each process and also support the extreme multicore CPU and GPGPU , very fast in all scenarios!!!

Also an improvement exceptional compatibility, especially windows 7 64 bit, in all scenarios, both 32-bit and 64 bit.

Gui:

Also expected as obvious by the team Windows 7 experience, a graphical interface, as promised, exceptionally efficient and pleasant!

All this is expected to be Windows 7, as in Windows Vista that is absent:

Vista is slow and cumbersome!

Also remember, waiting for Windows 7 on the market, at the latest November 2009.

Release windows for sale 7 by this date is very important to its success.

Thanks !!!!!!

59. pinko76 says:

Dear development team of windows 7, among the many suggestions, I would like to suggest to focus on the development only of windows 7_64 bit edition, excluding windows 7 to 32 bits.

Now it is time the 64-bit, all the hardware is a 64-bit,applications are mostly 64-bit, memory Ram is cheap, so pointless to insist on 32 bit on windows 7.

Take only the 64-bit edition, also because on windows 7 64 bit, we also run 32-bit applications.

Thanks!

60. pinko76 says:

Hello dear Team of Windows 7.

How often writing comments, but I want to suggest practical advice:

1) I hope that your concentration is highest ever, to have a windows 7 64 Bit, very very fast in all scenarios.

People want at 90% a windows 7_64 Bit Edition operating system, Very Very Fast in all scenarios ed applications, and we want that team , concentrate your resources, to develop  absolute performance an low resources consuption in primis in windows 7_64-bit Edition!!!!!! In all scenarios 64-bit primarily, and secondarily to 32-bit !!!!!

2) I hope you change the interface of windows 7, where it’s needed, for high efficiency of the use of windows 7.

But attention!!!!

Not the mistake of making a windows 7 GUI,the same or very similar to Windows Vista GUI, because the User could commit the mistake of exchanging windows 7 with windows vista!!!!

3) High customization of Windows 7 operating system in all scenarios ( GUI and image File of operating system ,  to add or subtract services and applications to the image file installation of operating system).

This Points and the date of Release on the market in 2009, are Very important Points in addition to benefits absolutely excellent performance, for success of Windows 7 operating Sistem!!!!

Sorry for my English!!!!

Thanks!!!!

61. pinko76 says:

Dear Team of Windows 7, with my comments, I want to summarize definitively what people and users want in Windows 7!

The final imperative is:

1) Windows 7_64 Bit Edition, Super Super fast and Super Super light with Super massive exploitation and optimization for Multicore CPU and GPGPU in all fields!!! ( This point is very very important).

2) New graphical interface, much Renewed and Super Efficient!

Thanks Windows 7 Team!!!!

62. dunski says:

Hi just my 2peneth on a feature request!

In the new display options/multiple monitors section I’d like to see the option to extend the taskbar across all screens. Preferably also displaying the taskbar tabs for each running program on the screen that they are open on rather than just the lefthand one (I think that makes sense!).

thanks!

63. digitx says:

I am very disappointed that Windows 7 will not have a new interface moves away from what we have seen so far.

You are a large corporation and why you not able to create a better interface for Windows 7? All the time you playing with the same GUI instead to create something revolutionary.

In addition to the interface in my opinion a revolution should touch the Windows Explorer.

It would be useful to add the ribbon interface and tabbed browsing that it can finally compete with the legendary Windows Commander and his successors.

64. digitx says:

It will be nice to add something like Mac OS X Leopard dock…

65. Bruce E says:

Hi Team, I know we are not yet on this topic, but I wanted to ping you on this while it is on my mind.

It would be great if during a clean install of Windows 7 if it could detect multiple physical drives on the system and ask one question, “Would you like Windows to install system components on the primary drive and all other folders on the secondary drive?” The wording will need to be tweaked of course.

Let me explain a little further.

A system install would only have on the primary drive the following folders, Windows + subs, Temp, and I believe Documents and Settings + subs that only relate to core system info. All other folders including Documents and Settings/My Documents.. /My Music.. /My Pictures and so on, would then be on the secondary drive and the default target for applications would be the secondary drive.

This would make for a very clean and more manageable multi drive install. I know that with the low price and high capacities of drives these days most people do opt for only a single drive. However this feature would be a god send for us techies.

Thanks for your time.

66. pinko76 says:

So, hello , Windows 7 Team.

I do write  a Report use of  windows 7 64 Bit edition Beta Build 7000 after 10 day of use.

( My hardware system is build so: Cpu Intel Core 2 Quad-chipset intel x38- 4 GB of ram –   Vga Card Ati HD 4870 – sound card : Creative sound blaster X-Fi-  2 hard-disk hitachi dekstar in RAID 0 configurations).

I write you where improve windows 7 64 bit edition , in  different areas.

Naturally i mean at windows 7 64 bit edition, because windows 7 32 bit , for me but in general for people and professional user , are not important.

My Beta version of windows 7 are 64 bit!!

So:

1) Improve read compatibility  of windows 7 installation image , with serial ata optical drive , because in some case , the windows 7 installation , return error , or dvd image block for some time and after continue installation.

So improve experience installation, with improvements of optical drive compatibility if necessary!!!

2) Gui: in general, in this beta the gui is good .

What do  are improve , is the speed response of windows 7 64 bit gui , in particular speed of open-close window , many window simultaneously , eliminating lag and micro lag , when window are open or closed.

Some time when open programs ( windows live photo for example or window explorer ) simple windows , windows 7 """things""""  not is responsive , and  for  some second  , the window are blocked …..in other words there are lag or latency ( and in this time the circle cursor  is blocked for some second, before window are ready)!!!

Fix IT …repeat,  Fix it…..no lags for these simples operations!!!!!!!!!!  It’s  important , very important!!!

Naturally i hope that Team reduce at maximus possible , video memory use of Aero Gui , with maximus optimization code for Api Direct write-direct 2d-direct animation-direct 3d-OPEN GL , so that all windows 7 GUI Interface , are do accellerate ONLY in VGA CARD ( no CPU Use for GUI) , and with extreme optimization of VGA Resources Use.

P.S: I  will also submit your attention in OPEN GL Areas  : because my software 3d used for test in windows 7 64 bit ,

( i tested LUXOLOGY MODO , AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE XSI , MAXON CIMNEMA 4D AND OTHER SOFTWARE THAT USE VIEWPORT ACCELLERATE IN OPEN GL) , ARE NOT ALSO GOOD IN WINDOWS 7 64 BIT EDITIONS .

BECAUSE THERE ARE LAGS AND VIDEO CORRUPTIONS IN OPEN GL VIEWPORT.

SO IMPROVE AT MAXIMUS POSSIBLE COMPATIBILITY AND PERFORMANCE IN OPEN GL AREAS!!!!

IN 3D SOFTWARE THAT USE VIEWPORTS ACCELERATE IN DIRECT 3D ( BUT THERE ARE FEW SOFTWARE 3D THAT USE DIRECT 3D ACCELERATION) THE SITUATION IS BETTER THEN OPENGL AREAS ;;;;;;;;; BUT ALSO IN DIRECT 3D AREA , THE SITUATION DO IMPROVE VERY MUCH!!!

IN OTHER WORDS, PERFORMANCE AND COMPATIBILITY DO ARE IMPROVED MUCH IN 3D AREAS!!!!!!!!!!

3) SYSTEM QUALITY IN OTHER AREAS:

A) THE QUALITY OF WINDOWS 7 BETA IS GENERALLY GOOD……BUT THER IS ALSO DO MUCH JOB  TO IMPROVE VERY MUCH WINDOWS 7 64 BIT , UNTIL RTM:

B)  IMPROVE VERY MUCH PERFORMANCE OF WINDOWS 7 X64 , IN BOOT AFTER LOGIN , OF LOAD APPLICATIONS IN BACKGROUND AND SYSTRAY.

IN PARTICULAR IMPROVE ALSO VERY MUCH THE RAM USED IN IDLE ……REDUCE AT MAXIMUS POSSIBLE THE RAM USED IN WINDOWS 7 64 BIT EDITION.

AND WORKS WITH YOUR PARTNERS , SO THAT NEW DRIVER AND SOFTWARE VERSION ARE DEVELOPED TO ( REDUCE RAM USE , FOR FAST LOAD : VIDEO DRIVERS  ,PERIFERICAL DRIVERS , FIREWALL AND ANTIVIRUS OF YOUR PARTNERS AND OTHERS SOFTWARE).

ALL OPTIMIZED FOR VERY LOW RAM USE , AND OPTIMIZED FOR PARALLEL AND MULTICORE USE !!!!!

4)  IN THE AND IMPROVE AT MAXIMUS POSSIBLE,  STABILITY AND COMPATIBILITY  PERFORMANCE AND RESPONSIVITY OF WINDOWS 7 64 BIT EDITION, IN ALL AREAS REPORTED IN TOP…. WITH ACTUALLY SOFTWARES ED IN PARTICULAR WITH FUTURE SOFTWARE.

IN OTHER WORDS, WINDOWS 7 64 BIT AND ALL ECOSYSTEMS SOFTWARE , DO ARE VERY FAST , VERY LOW CONSUPTION OF  RAM AND VIDEO MEMORY , WITH NO LAG , NO LATENCY, EXTREME STABILITY AND RESPONSIVITY !!!!!!!!!!

WITHT GRAPHICS PART ACCELERATE ONLY ON GPU OF ACTUALLY VGA , AND OTHER PARTS OPTIMIZED FOR CPU MULTICORE ( 4-8-16-32 CORE OF FUTURE CPU).

WINDOWS 7    64 BIT, I REPEAT    64 BIT VERSION  , DO  LIKE  VERY VERY FAST -STABLE……………..ROCKSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

5)  AHH…ALL DO BE IN WINDOWS 7 , AND FINALIZE WINDOWS 7  64 BIT  WITH ALL IMPROVEMENTS , IN 2009 !!!!!!!

I REPEAT THESE YEAR 2009!!!!!!  BECAUSE IT’S VERY IMPORTANT THESE DATE FOR SUCCESS OF WINDOWS 7.

THE PEOPLE  NOT BEAR MORE WINDOWS VISTA!!!!  WANTS WINDOWS 7  64 BIT …..AND SEE WINDOWS 7 BETA , I HOPE THAT ALL IMPROVE THAT I HAVE WRITE , CAN  WELL MAY BE IN 5-6 MONTHS AND NO MORE!

5-6 MONTHS ARE ARE MORE THAN ADEQUATE , FOR FINALIZE WINDOWS 7 64 BIT VERY VERY FAST AND VERY VERY STABLE AND WITH FEW IMPROVEMENTS IN USABILITY EFFICIENCY AND NEW SMALL FEATURES ON GUI !!!!!

I advice windows 7 RTM for june or july 2009, with all improvements reported on top!!!

THANKS WINDOWS 7 TEAM!!!!

67. pinko76 says:

Hello Windows 7 Team!!!!!!!!!!! Attenction Attenction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RED ALERT FOR YOU !!!  MANY BUSINESS USER ARE VERY WORRIED FOR THIS BAD BUG !!!!!!!!  INVESTIGATED AND FIX THIS BUG on WINDOWS 7!!!

THIS BUG IS PRESENT ALSO ON WINDOWS VISTA , AND NOT YET RESOLVED FROM  2 YEARS AGO !!!!

FIX  IT  DEFINITIVELY  ON WINDOWS 7  64 BIT EDITION !!!!!

Attenction, i write you , for a BUG VERY CONSISTENT , in Windows 7 64 Bit, with LUXOLOGY MODO  Software!!!

Attenction, Fix This BUG , it’s Veru Bad for Me , and Users that work with LUXOLOGY MODO  3D  Software !!!!

I don’t Know why , this Program NOT WORKING and CRASCH in windows 7 64 bit , Same as it predecessor Windows Vista 64 Bit!!! ( THE REASON CAN BE ATTRIBUTED FOR DRIVERS OPEN GL-SYSTEM – 64 BIT OR OTHER) !!!!!!!!!!

DO MAKE TESTS , MANY  MANY TESTS IN OPEN GL AMBIENT, BECAUSE THE CAUSE CAN BE OPEN GL API BUG ON WINDOWS 7 !!!!!!!

But  FIX THIS  BAD BUG , because BUSINESS HOUSE THAT USE LUXOLOGY MODO , ARE VERY WORRIED !!!!!

For help Windows 7 TEAM , to Fix This SERIOUS BUG IN LUXOLOGY MODO SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS 7 64 BIT , I  POST  A LINK That CONTENT a VIDEO OF BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REPEAT : FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OTHERWISE , THE GRAPHIC USERS THAT WORKING WITH LUXOLOGY MODO , CAN BE MIGRATE TO APPLE MACINTOSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY System IS :

CPU: Intel Core Duo Quad

Vga: ATI HD 4870

RAM : 8GB DDR2

Chipset: Intel X38

VGA Driver : ATI PRERELEASE DRIVER FOR  WINDOWS 7  BETA .

N:B : I Have Run LUXOLOGY MODO IN Windows Vista and Windows XP Compatibility, but the Bug is always PRESENT!!!!!!

FIX  FIX  FIX  THIS BAD BUG  !!!!

Thanks !!!!!

VIDEO LINK  OF BUG :

68. Shreedhar says:

Hi,

I could not find any other forum to post this so here it is.

I keep installing different version of Windows over n over agian due to varaious reasons. Each time I plan for a reinstall, I have to backup all my settings and document fodlers.

Could you possibly provide a feature to relocate the C:Users fodler to a different location altogher. I do not mean the individual MyDocuments or My Pictures etc. The entire profile location should be able to move to a different location of my choice. It could be an option after I install Windows or a prompt during the install.

Whenever I resintall the OS, it should be carefull enought not to overwrite any of my existing documents and just use those folders. This will save me a lot of headaches. Can this be incorporated?? Please!

Shreedhar

69. Shreedhar says:

Hi,

I could not find any other forum to post this so here it is.

Shreedhar

70. RikDederly says:

The post from Bruce brings up a good point. Perhaps it would be beneficial to install a base OS on a single drive or partican and the remaining files on another driver. The thought being that the base OS would always be available and can be protected with a higher amount of rights than the other files. The remaining files can be backed up on a regular basis, perhaps to external drives or other online storage areas. This would make for an easy restore and a greater chance of always having your base OS up and running.

71. Oisin says:

I still think the search is definitely no improvement. In XP I could type in a key word and have it search all drives and folders, indexed, non-indexed or hidden – even for a word inside an archive file – this new one is irritating in that I have to start a search, then in the next window, tell it to look in non-indexed locations and start another search.

I think KISS is being overlooked here – or as aircraft designers used to put it ‘simplify and add more lightness’ 😉

Complicating what should be a simple search procedure is crazy – the old one was efficient and worked. The new one is totally inefficient and makes the user do half the work instead of the computer

72. dutx says:

in Win7, the search option on Windows Explorer is no longer available in search box, so hard to choose options for searching.

Other hand, in search box, it can’t find document by a part of file or folder name, it only search in the first part of the names (example: when i type ‘approach’ in search box, it can’t find document with name ‘customerapproach.doc’, only shows the file ‘approachcustomer.doc’ )

It should be change.

73. dumbl3dor3 says:

i can’t watch movie with viet sub on wmp or wmc.

how can i do?pleaz!!!

74. pinko76 says:

Dear WINDOWS 7 TEAM , i write to say you to another bug of Windows 7 64 bit Beta  Build 7000 .

I want to emphasize , that this Bug of DWM , is present also in Windows Vista Operating system !!

It is an old Bug present IN WINDOWS VISTA AND WINDOWS 7 BETA   , with any Graphics cards, also WITH POWER GRAPHICS CARD , with any driver.

The system RECORDS A DEGRADATION  IN THE TIMES OF ANSWER of the dwm.exe.

FIX THIS BUG IN WINDOWS 7    IN ORDER ALWAYS , BEFORE  WINDOWS 7  RC  BUILD !!!   PLEASE !!!!!!!

IT IS A DEGRADATION AND SLOWER DEGRADATION OF RESONSIVENESS OF DWM.EXE !!!

FIX IT  !!!!!!

THANK YOU !!!!

75. pinko76 says:

Well, I another way to evidence this changes and improvements , in Windows 7 64 Bit exepecially RC Build:

Absolute Performance :

Improve Very very well Boot of windows 7

Improve very very well preview of open applications in Supertaskbar ( when mouse is passed over preview of open programs , the preview of programs it does not follow in real time , the advances of real applications operations), Fix this bad bug , it seems being a bug or lag latency of Direct 3d.

In other words , eliminate all Lag or Latency or slow performance Of Api Direct 2d-Direct Write- Direct 3d , for fast desktop composition in all scenarios !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete All Api:

Graphics Infrastructure: Direct Write-Direct 2d- Ui Animations- Direct 3d , for extreme performance to end ALL lAGS OF AERO INTERFACE in windows 7 64 bit!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete all api and module for Support Multicore and many core Machines extreme scalability , in windows 7 64 Bit !!!!!!!!!!

And in the and i note for you another way, that in windows 7 64 bit, Directx 11 for GpGPU and Api and Module for Multicore , do are the imperative Voice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optimize code and bugs of all setions:

Interface ( no lag , fast , usability , all extreme)

Fas Speed on ( Boot , many many applications open contemporary , " see Many and multicore optimizations" , with alla Api of case)

Eliminate Bugs relative to Supertaskbar , with usability supertaskbar extreme !!!!!!!

Thank you !

76. pinko76 says:

Absolute Performance :

Improve Very very well Boot of windows 7

Complete All Api:

Optimize code and bugs of all setions:

Interface ( no lag , fast , usability , all extreme)

Thank you !

77. pinko76 says:

Dear Windows 7 Team !!

In windows 7 beta , for change fonts in all voice of system ( menu , palette , icons fonts , ecc) , it’s necessary change font for all these VOICES , one for one.

Well, in RC , finally , it’s great , if do make possibility to change fonts , of these VOICES , in ONE only STEP , same as change wallpaper background desktop , or Theme desktop ; by gallery theme , all customizations , Wallpaper , Theme and Fonts of all VOICES of desktop.

Naturally , in the end , focus your power , in  Great Performace and rock Stability , COSTANT IN TIMES , in Windows  7   64 Bit  Editions !!!!

And imperative :

Fast ( Multicore and GPGPU With DX 11 ) !!!!

Rock Rock Stable !!!

And Rock Security !!!

Thank you !

78. pinko76 says:

Dear windows 7 Team , i ask you this:

Fix in windows 7 RC all lag ,latency and drive crazy , of all areas of Aero Interface !!!!

If the cause of these bugs , are memory leaks or video memory leaks , FIX IT !!!!!!

I pray to you for God !!!!!!

79. pinko76 says:

Dear windows 7 team !!!

This is my actually hardware configuration , I have 2 PC Desktop ,  that  I use for my job ;

I use both two PC Desktop because I work with Graphic Professional 2d and 3d Applications , this is list of software that I use in my job:

( Adobe Suite__Maxon  Cinema 4d__Luxology  Modo__Newtek Lightwave 9.5__Rhinoceros 3d  4.0 ).

Primary  PC

1- Cpu : Intel Core 2 Quad Q 9450

2-Graphic Card : Ati Radeon Hd 4870

3-Ram : 8Gb ddr2    in 4 module of 2 GB everyone

4-Hard-Disk : 2  Hitachi Dekstar  500 GB  in Raid 0  configuration

Second  PC :

1-Cpu : Intel Core i7  920

2-Graphic card: Nvidia  Geforce 285 GTX

3-Ram:  8gb ddr3  in 4 module of 2 GB everyone

4-Hard-Disk : 2  Hitachi Dekstar  500 GB  in Raid 0  configuration

On both two PC , I use Windows 7 64 bit  Beta 7000 and I now report you Bugs and imperfections that you must resolve AND FIX in windows 7  64 bit  Release Candidate  Build :

Fix  these bugs and imperfections  , present in windows 7 64 bit  beta 7000 in various areas:

Aero Interface:

Do You must fix totally  Lag , latency and slow visualization  of preview of opened applications

( overall Video preview ) , that they do not visualize and follow in real time , the advances of opened same  applications on the screen !!!

Fix  bug  of Aero Interface, that it often drive crazy ;  it is a bug much boring , that  ago windows7 operating system an instrument much difficult to manage in daily use ,  when the bug is present.

( I remember you that this bug is present also in windows vista operating system and that it is not also fixed in Windows 7  Beta 7000).

I describe the bug :

When I simple make only  one click of the mouse on top border of any open window , in order to move it, it become crazy  opening itself  to  max screen !!!

While  , normally do you knowledge that  it’s necessary a double click on top  border of same window , for open it on max screen!!!!

Same bad bug , it is present  when  I  Iconize window .

When exactly I click with mouse for iconize window on Taskbar of windows 7 , the same window become crazy , returning opened on the screen automatically , without that I make nothing.

Same bad bug , of drive crazy of aero interface, is present on icons desktop :

Often , simple with only one click on the any icon’s desktop , wanting simply to move the icon on desktop, the same icon  become crazy ,  open it the relative one  application , on desktop , while you knowledge that  it is necessary a double click of the mouse on same icon , for open the one relative  application.

( This bug it present with all type of icon’s applications , that it can be for example, Mozilla Firefox , icons of web link of Mozilla Firefox  , icons of Office Word , icons of office Power point , icons of documents created with Word or Power Point or Excel , icons of file created with other 2d or 3d applications that I Use and in the end the same icons of any  applications , etc…..etc….etc……).

Well , in other words, do you must find the cause of these bugs of Aero Interface Areas and  FIX THE CAUSE  OF ALL THESE BUGS and same bugs   ,  OF DRIVE CRAZY  AERO INTERFACE !!!!!

IT’S  ALSO PRESENTS IN WINDOWS    7    BETA    7000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX IT , FOR GOD  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT PERFORMANCE  AND STABILITY  , COSTANT  IN TIMES  IN ALL  AREAS :

IMPROVE AT MAXIMUS POSSIBLE  , THESE OTHER AREAS:

1) COMPATIBILITY, STABILITY  AND PERFORMANCE OF WINDOWS 7 64 bit  WITH OPEN GL VIDEO DRIVER , BECAUSE SOME 3D APPLICATIONS , IN OPEN GL AMBIENT , HAVE VIDEO CORRUPTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!

2) IMPROVE COMPATIBILITY , STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE OF WINDOWS 7 64 bit  , IN DIRECT 2D-3D AREAS , WITH OPTIMUS INTEROPERABILITY , WITH VIDEO DRIVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) IMPROVE PERFORMANCE  OF   DWM.EXE , THAT IN WINDOWS 7  BETA , IT CONSUPTION  , MORE MEMORY , AFTER THAT 3D APPLICATIONS OR MANY WINDOWS  ARE USED AND CLOSED  !!!!!!!!!!   IT ISN’T COSTANT IN TIMES , FOR MEMORY OCCUPATION  AND IT NOT REDUCE THE SAME MEMORY OCCUPATION , AFTER THAT HOWEVER APPLICATIONS OR MANY WINDOWS ARE CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( I OBSERVE THIS BEHAVIOR OF DWM.EXE WITH  TASK MANAGER OF WINDOWS 7  64 BIT SYSTEM).

( DO YOU MUST FIND TO  THE CAUSE OF THESE PROBLEMS OF DWM.EXE AND FIXED ALL  IN  WINDOWS  7 RC  BUILD   PLEASE) !!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE VERY MUCH , WINDOWS 7 64 BIT PERFORMANCE IN MULTICORE AND MANY SCENARIOS !!!!!!

IMPROVE WINDOWS 7 64 BIT HARD DISK DRIVE USAGE AND MANAGEMENT OF FILE ON SAME HARD DISK , TO  DRASTICALLY REDUCE THE FILE FRAGMENTATION AND WHEN DEFRAGMENTATION IT’S NECESSARY AND ACTIVE ( ALSO WITH THIRD PARTS SOFTWARE, FOR EXAMPLE : RAXCO PERFECT DISK  OR TUNE UP UTILITIES )  , REDUCING DRASTYCALLY THE IMPACT LOWLANDS  OF  HARD DISK PERFORMANCE  !!!!!!!!!!!

REDUCE DRASTICALLY ALSO REGISTRY FRAGMENTATION OF WINDOWS 7 64 BIT.

IN WINDOWS 7 , REGISTRY AND STRUCTURE PROBLEMS DO HAVE FIXED IN AUTO , IN BACKGROUND.

Thank you !!

80. desktop games says:

I did not have much luck turning off those features. I am getting the error "Failure configuring Windows features. Reverting changes…".

81. t2266885 says:

Hi,

I meet a tricky trouble. For GSA-U10N dvd-rom, V.1.05, it can work well in the first 3 days and then cannot browse any files. If you inset a DVD/CD with auto-install soft, it can install/setup. However, after that, you cannot view any detail of DVD/CD.

I tried several times to reinstall WIN7 by format HD, but the problem is it. Could someone have any ideals?

However, WIN7RC seems no big problems to work on the most computers/laptops/netbooks that I have tried.

82. akskumar says:

Hi,

This is for the Windows Team… It will be cool if there is a favorite Documents Functionality (not recent documents)

Hope someone listens….

83. Hello,

Like Windows 7 (using the RC version)al lot better than most versions before.

Only on problem. SOmtimes when deleting or copy files it seems to stuck, also after a download (big file) is stucks a long time at 99%

84. Martin Gifford says:

I think it’s great to have as many themes as possible. Well done!

"Only 15% of the beta users kept the default theme. 77% of the beta users created a custom theme by changing one or more elements of the inbox themes."

Please, can you tell this to the Office builders who arrogantly removed all customization options from Office?

You have proven that people want to customize, and that they do customize when they know about it!

85. piaqt says:

Where can I get a detailed version comparison? The one at the MS store site is just a checklist. It doesn’t provide enough information.

86. wired_retired says:

As Windows 7 pre-order offer at reduced cost has ended in the US and is about to start in Europe and Japan etc; when will it be available via MSDN subscription?

I can find no information regarding this?

87. Mike Williams says:

90% of the time when I attempt to post on these forums, I get bounced back to a higher level after clicking Submit. It makes no difference whether I use IE or Firefox.

No error message is posted so I don’t know if it’s a page code issue, an illegal character, a limit on characters posted or a server spam filter. I’ve tried breaking posts into smaller amounts and very occasionally they get through, but I can’t tell if my efforts to post the entire message are flagging a spam filter. Perhaps a more user-friendly form??? Please???

88. pinko76 says:

Dear Mr. Sinofsky and windows 7 Team.

Now  we know  that Windows 7  is RTM .

I  cannot still express my judgment on RTM Milestone, because I am still an any stupid beta tester , with Windows 7 RC Milestone Installed.

I have One big question , about  on a behavior that seems anomalous of

Windows RC Milestone and That I hope it is fixed in RTM or quickly after

Windows 7 RTM ( I hope that team release bug fix and update of performance and stability more fast for windows 7 ).

Well , this is the problem anomalous  and strange ( present also in old windows vista O.S) , I speak of   Windows 7  x 64  bit   RC :

“ It is possible open more 60 requests or simply more of 60 window  of  WINDOS EXPLORER , with keys win+E  from keyboard “

But when  the 60 opened windows are caught up of windows  explorer with  win+E  keys ,

The same windows explorer CRASCH !!!!

And with it , Windows 7 Desktop become black and entire Windows 7 x 64  O.S  go to freeze ,  INSTABLE  unusable and blocked !!!!!!!!!

I am forced to kill windows explorer from task manager or to make log-off !!!

But all this isn’t normally .

1) IT is crazy naturally , opend more 60 window of windows explorer, but if this event it is rendered possible , (thoughts to a child who ago unconsciously) , it risks to send entire

system in crasch without restoration possibility , if not only reset or shutdown  Windows 7 !!!

Well , Attenction , Fix these bug , if  it is a BUG , or make a solution at these problem , because I repeat opening involuntarily if not intentional , 60 or over 60 window of windows explore in Windows 7 , Windows 7 x64 or x32 , CRASCH and IT IS Permanent BLOCKED.

FIX This Event or Problem Before Windows 7 is on Market !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89. pinko76 says:

Dear windows 7 team ,

I write for say you that it is strange , that a new windows 7 operating sistem , have a new limitation !!!!

Now in september 2009 , out new hard disk drive of 2 TB of capacity.

well if I will make a raid 0 configuration of two or four hard disk of 2 TB , for great capacity;

I will have a total capacity of  2 TB x 2 = 4 TB

or 2 TB x 4 = 8 TB .

Well if I decide to install windows 7 in one primary partition of  2 TB , with limit of MBR , i can’t make this !!!!!!!!!!

And this is very ugly for a new operating system !!!

In other words , FIX THIS NEW LIMIT  IN WINDOWS 7 !!!!!!!!!!

WITH ALL THESE LIMITS , WINDOWS 7 APPEAR OLD , VERY OLD UNTIL YOUR BEGIN !!!!

FIX ALL LIMITS IN SERVICE PACK 1 OR UNTIL IF POSSIBLE , BECAUSE HARDWARE EVOLUTION IN 2010 WILL BE  ENORMOUSLY AND WINDOWS 7 RISK TO BE OLD , VERY OLD AND inadequate and not to the step with the times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in the end , I repeat , FIX THE MEMORY CONSUPTION OR MEMORY LEAK OF WINDOWS EXPLORER PROCESS , WHEN MORE WINDOWS ARE OPENED!!!!

ELIMINATE ALL LIMITS IN ALL REMAINING AREAS OF NEW WINDOWS 7 , THAT SEEMS VERY OLD WITH THESE LIMITS!!!!!

OTHERWISE , PEOPLE WILL NOT BE  SATISFIED , AFTER WINDOWS 7 ON MARKET , OVERALL BEGIN OF 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX ALL THIS LIMITS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90. pinko76 says:

Dear windows 7 team !

it is with my great sadness that say you that

windows 7 RC is very very ugly !!!

with passing of the time its quality is degraded!!!

Now , new blu screen of dead at LOG-ON screen:

In event viewer, this is the message that appear:

"Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

"Performance power management features on processor 3 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

"Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

The total performances of the system are very bad!!!

windows 7 x64 is identical if not much worse of windows vista x64 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERRORS ON ERRORS ON WINDOWS 7 64 BIT , HUNDRED OF " HAS WORKINK STOPPED WITH MORE APPLICATIONS ALSO AT 64 BIT , THAT ARE VERY SLOW!!!!

Been making a very bad system (other that great quality, painful quality) arranged all

with SERVICE PACK 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU MUST LISTEN TO ME !!!!!!

HARD JOB IN SERVICE PACK 1:

IMPERATIVE GOALS IN WINDOWS 7 X64  SERVICE PACK 1:

TRUE RIABILITY IN:

1) PERFORMANCE : A CHANGE OF WAY IN PERFORMANCE IN SERVICE PACK 1 , IMPROVE GREAT OF CODE FOR CPU MULTICORE , MANAGEMENT OF PROCESS IN MULTICORE CPU.

IMPROVE USER MODE SCHEDULER , MAKE SOMETHING OF LARGE FOR THE VERY BAD PERFORMANCES ON MULTICORE CPU !!!

BOOT !

BOOT OF APPLICATIONS !!

ACCESS OF FILES!!

2) IMPROVE GREAT CPATIBILITY CHECK WITH ALL 64 BIT APPLICATIONS !

IMRPROVE CODE ENORMOUSLY!!!

3) IDEM FOR STABILITY , WINDOWS 7 64 BIT , WILL BE MORE AND MORE STABLE WITH SERVICE PACK 1 , MORE CRASCHES ARE ALSO PRESENT!!!!!!!!

IN OTHER WORDS YOU HAVE NOT MADE ENOUGH IN RC AND  CREED ALSO  IN WINDOWS 7 X64  RTM!!!!!

91. cirurgia plastica says:

Let me explain a little further.

92. pinko76 says:

DEAR WINDOWS 7 TEAM , THERE ARE SOME GREAT IMPROVEMENT THAT YOU MADE IN WINDOWS 7 X64 SP1:

1) DRAMMATIC SMALL FOOTPRINT IN FILES ACCESS AND REDUCING FRAGMENTATION ( API OR DEMON SPECIFIC INTELLIGENT FOR THIS AREA , IS AN EXAMPLE SOLUTION).

( MANAGEMENT RAID CONFIGURATIONS HD DRIVES LARGEST OF 8 TB AND SAME SYSTEM PARTITION).

2)IMPROVE GREAT MULTICORE CPU SUPPORT IN 64 BIT VERSION , WITH OTIMIZED USER MODE SCHEDULER OR SPECIFIC OTHER SUPERVISOR LAYER , WITH 2 COMPONENTS: LOW AND HIGH LEVEL SUPERVISOR IN USER MODE SCHEDULER !!!!

3)IMPROVE GREAT GPGPU COMPUTING !

4)IMPROVE STABILITY AND COMPATIBILITY OF WINDOWS 7 64 BIT VERSION AND PUSH DEVELOPERS THIRD PART , TO DEVELOP ONLY  64 BIT SOFTWARE !!!!

5) FIX KERNEL BUGS ON 64 BIT VERSION ( UGLY BUG OF INCOMPATIBILITY WITH INTEL SPEEDSTEP FEATURES , THAT IS CAUSE OF MORE BLUE SCREEN OF DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

THESE ARE IMPERATIVES!!!!!!!!!

WINDOWS 7 64 BIT , IT IS NOT READY FOR FUTURE

IF NOT INTRODUCE REAL CHANGES FROM WINDOWS VISTA 64 BIT PREDECESSOR!!!!!!!!

LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR COMPETITIVE APPLE SNOW LEOPARD IS MORE GREATEST OF WINDOWS 7 64 BIT.

ATTENCTION , CORRECT WAY UNTIL OR WITH GREAT SERVICE PACK 1 ON TRACK IN 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

93. pinko76 says:

Dear Mr. Sinofsky

and

DEAR  WINDOWS  7 X64  TEAM.

I WRITE YOU FOR LATEST TIME .

I WRITE FOR SAY YOU  SOME ADVICES AND IN PARTICULAR , TO SAY YOU SOME VERY IMPROVEMENTS  , THAT YOU WILL MAKE IN WINDOWS 7  X64 VERSION ONLY.

You  must listen to me, please, for mercy, for the good of windows7 x64 and naturally for future diffusion on market of windows 7 x64.

As you can see, I insist only on windows 7 x64 , because this version is very buggy , with more problems of varied nature , in different areas.

And because imminent future speak only 64 bit and you are push on 64 bit only.

Seems that in windows 7 , you are concentrated only on 32 bit version.

Well that all will be change immediately , with you hard job on

windows 7 x64  for Service Pack 1.

Used your time for windows 7 x64 and not thing at windows 8 , because if you improve very well windows 7 x64 , it will be a power resource in 2010 !

Some advices list:

1)    Performance: Improve performance of windows 7 x64 , in multitasking ambient , some times gpu acceleration and cpu multicore use not is good.

2)    Improve speed of preview of files in folders !

3)    Improve system to prevent fragmentation files on hd mechanical drives and register structure!

4)    Improve cache and superfetch , because windows 7 x64 , not is costant in time in performance ( load applications , preview of files , load more applications in same time)

5)    Fix the some bugs , ( windows explorer crasch when more istances or windows are opened , because consumption more memory and same memory are not released fast , but very slow).

6)    Improve same windows explore crasch, when a remote folder are not disponible.

7)    Fix  latency of preview of videos and movies , opened in taskbar , overall the preview , not follow in real time the advance of movies in window !!

8)    Fix  bug compatibility with drivers video that some times determines blu screen of dead , in particular I notice when more hd-movies ( 3 or 4) are opened in same time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9)    Fix bug of blue screen of dead that are caused from firmware motherboard incompatibility or intel cpu  incompatibility !!!!

I now paste some errors in my windows 7 x64 RC !

Find you a good solutions for these bugs and low performance in windows 7 x64 , if not in RTM in Service pack 1 !!!

94. pinko76 says:

737-26591: Blue Screen error (BSoD) referencing ATIKMDAG.SYS

737-27116: Radeon™ Series – ATIKMDAG has stopped responding error

blue screen of dead !!!!!!!!!

with movies opened.

please, fix with Ati also these Bad Bug that crasch windows 7 x64 !!!!!!!!

fairies the discharge you do not cheat them with ati.

Fix this BUG very INSTABLE FOR EVER , PLEASE MICROSOFT !!!!!!!

95. discount vouchers says:

96. Texas Driver education says:

wanting simply to move the icon on desktop, the same icon  become crazy ,  open it the relative one  application , on desktop , while you knowledge that  it is necessary a double click of the mouse on same icon , for open the one relative  application.I believe Documents and Settings + subs that only relate to core system info.

97. Pennsylvania Driver education says:

98. aldo cella says:

What gives with the charge to get a stock ticker.  How about bringing back the Vista version?     My only dissapointment so far

99. ghdshop says:

thanks very much for sharing

100. Tasarim says:

Greate guidelines 🙂

101. gotomeeting says:

102. Yes .. All this is good for maintaining a blog in smooth operation and to better understand the ….

103. David O'Shea says:

Windows GUI Development Team,

The Aero Glass in Vista/Win7 is nice.  But it drives me INSANE that you have taken away the ability to control color choices in Aero glass on sub-fields that were previously controllable in the Basic themes.   Customers still want control of the colors that they have to look at for hours and hours on end.  I find it simply unacceptable that you have reduce functionality in this area.   Its a shame that in order to get control of color, I have to turn off Aero.  That is a Faustian choice, and a really, really, really, horribly bad design choice by the Windows interface team.

Frankly, you don't go far enough.   And yes this is a rant- the particular item in the Windows GUI interface that sent me over today (a new one each week usually) is that when in a Windows Explorer window, using the Detailed view, I'm trying to select the divider bars between the "items" columns.  In nearly all of the Aero glass themes, those "items" are far too "white", and with the Aero translucancy application, the dividing draggable item seperators are barely visiable.  So when when want to drag the file name divider to the side to see a long file name, its hard to find that divider and navigate to it directly.  Instead, I have to navigate to the "item", wait for windows to change the color on the item, which gives better contrast on the item, and then navigate a second time (more time wasted) to actually lock in on the divider (wait for the pointer to change shape again), and then finally drag.

I do this at least 20 times a day.  The dividers used to be a very visually clear "black" line.  Now they are a dimm, dimm, dimm, barely visable faded out gray (part of the Aero vanishing effects) and they simply are too difficult to see to navigate to directly.

You guys need to spend more time actually using the product to try and do work with the interface.  When you put in a feature like Aero, its frustrating.  It looks "cool", but it is unuseable to actually do work, so I end up having to turn it off.   That makes me ANGRY, and drives me INSANE.

Do better.  Find a solution.   QUIT DUMMING DOWN THE PRODUCT FOR MA and PA KETTLE!  QUIT HIDING MEDIUM ADVANCED SETTINGS DOWN 50 sub-menus!   Stuff that used to take 2 or 3 clicks, and which had item labels for each level, now can take 5-7 clicks to find.  That's better?  NOPE.   This stuff is used infrequently, which means it actually needs ENGLISH (or you langauge) words to help find the item.   It is like (not like, is the case that) you have gone out of your way to HIDE the advanced screens such that they can no longer be found.  Is the goal to make them so hard to find, that no one will use them, and then allow you to remove them by claiming that no one ever uses them (because they are impossible to actually find now).

That is all for today.  Rant over.   But I think you need to figure out how to get color choices back in, and in fact get MORE control not less over color choices.    I really do not need a downloadable "THEME" that is in fact a "PICTURE BACKGROUND" with one color selection to go with it.

From a customer who actually needs to use the product in a way Ma and Pa kettle can't grog.  You are failing me badly.