Using Transportation management without the new Warehouse management module

The question of whether I can use Transportation management without the new Warehouse management module in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 has cropped up many times.

And the basic answer is Yes, you can. Here are a few simple steps to help you achieve this scenario. The variations are, of course, many, but this simple procedure will get you going in simulating processes that do not need such strong integration with the new Transportation and Warehousing module.

1. Create a product with Storage dimensions that  don’t have the ‘Use warehouse management processes’ setting enabled. You also should not use any existing product with such a storage dimension group. Go to Product information management > Released products

2.  Enable the product to use the Transportation management processes

3. Add on-hand quantity of the product

4. Create a sales order for the product

5. Go to the Load planning workbench and create a load

6. Execute Rating and routing

7. Select a rate and assign it to the load

8. Confirm the shipment. If the load contains any items that use warehouse management processes, that step will fail because work for warehouse should first be created and completed. This check for completed warehouse work is skipped for items that only use transportation management processes. So for loads with a combination of both types of items, you would need to perform all warehouse processes for the items that require it

9. Print the packing slip, bill of lading, and send the ASN (where applicable)

1. Rodrigo says:

Hi,

Does it work in the case that item has setup storage dimension with ‘Use warehouse management processes’ checkbox selected and  the shipping Warehouse is setup as non WHS-controlled?

2. Kanchan Chatterjee says:

Hi Aco, do we still need to enable the warehouse for WMS ?

3. Ivan (Vanya) Kashperuk says:

Hi Rodrigo,

No, it will not work for a non-WHS enabled warehouse. You won't be able to add an order line like that to a load.

4. Ivan (Vanya) Kashperuk says:

Hi Kanchan,

Yes, we still need to enable the warehouse for WHS. Otherwise that order line will not be shown on the load planning workbench demand fast tab, so you won't be able to add it to a load

5. Marco Auddino says:

I do not see any benefit using the TMS in this way.  Only the rating routing function could be used but the created load is not valid to organize in some way the Warehouse activities.  Sales order have to be released for piking individually. On the load you do not have any function which allows you to manage the sales orders in the load globally.

6. Galina Chizhova says:

Hi Marco,

You are right, warehouse processes cannot be used. The setup is to address situation when companies don't want to use warehouse management processes, but want to be able to create loads, calculate rates, etc. Apparently this is not your case.

7. Erik Pedersen says:

Hi Galina

The setup described may manage various transportation functionality without using the full WHS functionality available, but still the items for the shipments need to be e.g. picked and packed. I suppose when this is the case then WHS processes need being applied (more or less automated) – as long as one wants to use transportation functionality.

8. Eugen Glasow says:

Hi MBS people, you need to intergrate the TMS rate calucator into the product costing sheet (then you are selling goods on DDP etc. conditions).

It seems to be a very common requirement: I did it earlier once via misc. charges, 3 months ago I had it in a pre-sales cycle, now another customer of MCS needs exactly the same.

Do you need a MSConnect suggestion for that?

9. Danny Freeman says:

Does anyone how to use TMS functionality with transfer orders with only the warehouses set up for WHS enabled. We are not using the WHS functionality. Just needed to activate it to use TMS for Sales orders.

When trying to ship the transfer order via TMS , I get the error of no load lines selected. Even after selecting Edit lines. When I try to ship it via LPW I get the same error. Any ideas?

10. Shweta says:

Dear Aco,

I am trying to create a manual load from a sales order, when I select an existing item (use warehouse mgmt. is checked and use transportation mgmt. is checked), the sales lines appear in the sales tab of load planning workbench and I am able to create a load from these sales line.

Now I created a new product with same setup as the earlier product and followed the same process, the sales lines are not appearing in the sales tab of load planning workbench.

Kindly assist if I am missing any setup.

The reason i want to do to this is that i want to do only transport management. when i select a product with both the Boolean fields 'use warehouse mgmt.' and 'use transport mgmt.' i get an error "work" while shipping the load in load planning workbench.

Your help is much appreciated.

11. Galina Chizhova says:

He Eugen Glasow, yes we do :). Please create MS connect suggestion and we would now your request better.

12. Galina Chizhova says:

Hi Danny,

Could you please describe your setup in more details? What is in the error that you get? This is the supported scenario that you try to go through so it should be something in the setup.

Best regards,

Galina

13. Galina Chizhova says:

Hi Shweta,

Did you use WHS enabled warehouse? I guess you did as your order with old item appeared under demand, but please double check that you use the same warehouse (or another one is also WHS enabled).

Did you enabled your new item for TMS processes the same way as described in the blog? Please make sure that all the fields that you can see in the picture above are filled when you create a new product.

Best regards,

Galina

14. Shweta says:

Dear Aco/Galina,

I have a requirement from client to calculate chargeable weight based on (width * breadth * length) of items in transportation module. Also the chargeable weight varies based on the type of transport like

Air – (Width x breadth x length) / 6000

Courier – (Width x breadth x length) / 5000

Road – (Width x breadth x length) / 4000 or 5000 .

Can this be done in TRAX. If so can you guide me how?

As per demo data, I have calculated rates based on the Mileage engine as the rates are calculated based on origin and destination PC's.

Many thanks in advance.

15. Shweta says:

Dear Galina,

No i have not used WHS enabled warehouse.  I created a new product and it is TMS enabled. When i create a Sales order, and click on Load planning workbench, the sales line is not appearing under sales lines of Supply and Demand tab. Kindly assist. I followed all steps mentioned in above blog.

Thanks,

Shweta

16. Galina Ch says:

Hi Sweta,

You have to use WHS enabled warehouse to work in WHS and TMS modules. Even if item is only TMS enabled warehouse should be WHS enabled anyway.

Best regards,

Galina

17. Galina Ch says:

Dear Sweta,

WHS and TMS modules capabilities are only for WHS enabled warehouses. So your warehouse has to be WHS enabled anyway, even if you use only TMS enabled items. I hope it will help to solve your issue and you would be able to go though your flow.

Best regards,

Galina

18. Galina Ch says:

Hi Shweta,

About chargeable weight calculations: I am not sure I understood what you mean. You write that you want to calculate chargeable weight based on width * breadth * length. But width * breadth * length gives you volume. Is your weight function of volume? Why do you want to calculate weight this way and not just update volume?

Do you only want to calculate rates depending on chargeable weight? Or do you also want to apportion your invoice  according to your chargeable weight? Let me explain what I mean: for example, I have item1 with weight 1 and item2 with weight 2 and I have 2 sales lines for each of the items with quality 1. In standard TMS you'll get weight 3 (= 1 + 2) and you'll get some rate, let's imagine it's 60. This rate would be assigned for each line by apportionment engine according to weight distribution; in our example it would be 20 (=60/3*1) for first line and 40(=60/3*2) for second line. How would it look like in your example? You want to use "WBL"/6000 for Air and "WBL"/4000 for Road during rate calculation. I guess you also want to use this new weights for apportionment (although if we use same function for both lines then distribution between lines don’t depend on the function)

Best regards,

Galina

19. Shweta says:

Dear Galina,

Thanks for you kind reply. I sorted the weight based rates calculation.

Coming back to using Transportation without warehouse process.

I have done necessary setup in system related to transportation, I created an outbound load, did rate shop, assigned routes and back in load planning workbench when I click on 'Release to warehouse' the work id is created, I believe without completing work I cannot confirm shipment, correct me if I am wrong. Is there a way I can skip this work completion process so that I can directly confirm my shipment and go ahead?

Thanks in advance..

20. Line says:

Hi,

I have a case where a company is aready using the "old" Warehouse management process II in their AX 2012 R3 installation. They are interested in the New functionality for transportplanning in the New TMS-module.

But then we would have to activate the configuration key for "Warehouse and Transportation management" together with the already activated "Warehouse management process II" key. If we do so, the solution would be unsupported by Microsoft. So I assume there is no easy way for this company to take advantage of the TMS-module. They would have to re-implement their AX.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance!  :-)

21. Jan says:

Please anwer the above question, this is basically the same question we have. If we enable both WMS II and Warehouse and Transportation Management, is it supported to only use the transportation part of Warehouse and Transportation Management and continue using WMS II for warehousing?

22. Galina Ch says:

Hi Line and Jan,

You are right. This is not supported configuration (using WMS II and Transportation management), but it looks reasonable to have such configuration supported. Please report a collaboration request through usual channels. Probably it would work for you out of the box if you enable both configuration keys, but there is no guaranty.

Best regards,

Galina

23. Galina Ch says:

Dear Shweta,

I am glad that you have sorted weight based rates calculation :).

You need step about releasing to warehouse for loads that have Warehouse Management enabled items (otherwise you get error during confirmation that work has to be completed), but if you have only Transportation Management enabled items on your load you can do ship confirmation straight away. Basically for loads with only Transportation Management enabled items you can do confirmation right after load creation.

I hope that answers your question.

Galina

24. Galina Ch says:

Hi Line, Jan and Shweta,

We had quite intensive discussion inside the team what configurations we need to support and to which extend :). WMS I + TMS? WMS II + TMS (Considering that we are going to deprecate WMS II in Rainer)? It would help to us if you create collaboration request with your scenarios and your ideas. That way we would better understand  the real need that you have.

Best regards,

Galina

25. Rodrigo says:

Hello,

For this scenario, how can we print picking list report? We created SO, then added SO lines to a new load, reserved items and released to warehouse. But, we don't see where in the pick/pack/ship process, picking list and picking list registration fit. How can user confirm picked quantity if AX doesn't print picking list report and there is no sales picking work generated?

26. Robert Stogner says:

Rodrigo,

During the release to Warehouse, if you had it set up properly, the process should have assigned the sales order to a wave.  The wave must be processed and released to create the work to pick and put the item on the dock.  Once the work is completed, then the shipment will have a status of loaded and then can be confirmed.

27. Kym says:

Hi Aco,

I am trying to set this up in AX2012 R3 CU9.

I have a non-WHS enabled item, non-WHS warehouse & TMS enabled item on a sales order but I cannot seem to create a load for this sales order.

I have tried attaching this sales order via Load Planning workbench as well as having the load auto create during sales order creation (TMS Parameters).

Is there another parameter that must be set?

28. Anja says:

Hi Galina,

I am using Transportation module without WMS. I went through necessary steps in order to send my load. I assigned the rate for my shipment. Is that rate should come automatically to sales order (as miscellanious charges)  or I should make that line manually?

Is that rate for Load will be also in place as Related information > Freight bill details? I done it for shipment which used WMS, But only TMS in not working.

I am looking forward to hearnig from you.

Best regards:)

29. Galina Ch says:

Hi Kim,

Load can be created only in WHS-enabled warehouse :(. It is a common ask to add possibility to create load for TMS enabled item in non-WHS warehouse. We have some discussions about user scenarios. It would help us a lot if you add request to add such functionality through usuall chanels and mention your user scenarios in the request.

Regards,

Galina

30. Galina Ch says:

Hi Anja,

Rate would be translated automatically if you enable "Add transportation chargers to order" in the Terms of delivery that you use for the order. Hear blogs.msdn.com/…/how-do-i-account-for-freight-charges-in-tms.aspx you can see details.

It looks like a bug if you don't see rate in Freight bill details for TMS-only items. Please create a bug for use through usual channels.

Regards,