A little off-topic, but …. “Verizon Sucks”

I’m sure I’ve worked with more disorganized and unprofessional companies, although I can’t think of any, but I certainly haven’t continued to work with them… but I’m fairly stuck with Verizon.

I just moved into a new house, only a few minutes away from my apartment, and I called Verizon to arrange for the move of the phone and DSL (both through them). They were very nice on the phone and arranged to move both as of the 3rd of July… although they had to transfer me to a 2nd person to arrange the DSL, because it seems they are essentially two different companies. Fine, whatever, I might find that need to have 2 people talk to me silly, but it isn’t a big deal. I told both people the same thing…. moving on July 3rd, need service at the new location. The phone would be up sometime in the morning and DSL would be active “on the 3rd”. Peachy.

First problem, my current DSL shut off on June 30th at midnight… July 1st in computer terms. Oh well, I thought… a few days without connectivity, but it will all work on July 3rd, so it isn’t a big deal. I didn’t worry about why it shut off early, I figured it had been set up to transfer over a little too soon. Got to the new house, phone only works on one of the 6 jacks in the place… called support and they suggested that I needed a “jack reassignment”… ok, whatever… call back on the 7th they said… annoying but I’m a nice guy, so I just say thanks and move on…

On the night of the 3rd I hooked up my DSL modem, but no luck… couldn’t get it to connect but I wasted a bunch of time troubleshooting it… called for support, but the 24hr line can’t handle DSL…. and they gave me a new # to call but it was the wrong number (it was an 888 #, but they read out a 800 #… )…. tried to call on the 4th, but no luck as you can imagine… offices were closed.

Talked to them today… turns out they put the move order in for the 1st, but realized I didn’t have my phone line moved until the 3rd, so they canceled the entire DSL line and move request. No DSL move, in fact no DSL on my account at all. Wow, that was really good customer service, eh?

“Ok” I say… “please activate it now”… Well, turns out they can only reactivate me with help from some deparment that won’t be in until Monday. I was a little annoyed, but hey… Monday is only two days away… so I asked how many hours after that call on Monday will I have DSL… 7 days was the answer. 7 days!

I called the cable company a minute later to set up high-speed through them, but their sales office is closed until Monday…. but on Monday if the cable company can get service set up faster than Verizon, which wouldn’t be saying much, I think I will start the process of removing Verizon from my life completely.

Ugh.

1. Sunil K says:

SBC Yahoo also suck! I had the exact problems moving the DSL from an apartment to another in the same apt complex.

They all are the same.

2. Should change the title to "DSL sucks". I used to work for Qwest DSL so I know what I’m talking about. You’re running 21st century technology over 1950’s equipment…. not gonna fly. Chances are your cable will get in quicker, and will be tons faster too.

Oh yeah, and most people don’t realize that you usually get basic cable to when you get cable internet… didn’t realize that for 6 months.

3. Dave says:

Um, don’t call cable a slam dunk either.

Up here in NW Pennsylvania I live 3 blocks west of the city line. DSL has existed in the area for years, but I live 6 blocks too far away from their limit. (Seems they can open up DSL farther out, but since I’m between the cracks in an old neighborhood I’m screwed for eternity.) Hence, I’m stuck with Adelphia.

Now, I’ve worked in various computer centers in my career. Done networking and set up a small datanet. I’m a software developer by choice, but most networking people respect my knowledge – particularly my knowledge of my limitations in this area. Basically, I’m able to comprehend how networks should be laid out.

Well, in simple technical terms, the entire NW PA cable network is powered by a single 15 year old mouse. WOrse yet, Afelphia sends their big city mice here when it’s time to put them out to pasture. At least that’s it feels to me.

4 times in the last 6 weeks – each time for 12 hours during a Saturday yet – the entire network out here came down. First time it was a break in "a fiber optic line". Second, third and fourth times "a server" went down. Each time the entire Erie PA area went out.

Say what? No redundant servers? Exactly howe many single point of failures can this system have? So each time I’m forced to patiently wait 30-35 minutes calling some 888 number so I can "request" a refund on my next bill. Jeez….

4. I’ve recently switched from Verizon DSL to Comcast here in the Eastside area. Comcast is much faster on the d/l and is much less flaky.

5. Roy Osherove says:

OMG! SOunds like the kind of experiences I thought only existed in israel

6. SBC says:

"Verizon Sucks" I hear you now! I have yet to hear about any good DSL installation. They are technically problematic to install and unfortunately, it’s further aggravated by poor service from the vendor(service providers).

7. See my posts http://weblogs.asp.net/gad/posts/8958.aspx, and http://weblogs.asp.net/gad/posts/9041.aspx for my take on this topic. I’ve got DSL through Megapath, but Verizon is my ILEC, so they control the last mile. Thanks to someone’s mistake, I went nearly a month with no service, or service so unstable as to be useless.

Not everyone at Verizon is incompetent. I feel bad for the competent people who work there and have to attempt to clean up the mess made by those who either don’t care, or who are too busy trying to follow the minimal letter of their agreements with Covad, et. al., to consider that there are customers involved, too. I’ve met some good techs from Verizon, but, like yours, my overall impression is poor.

Now if I can only get my T1 installed *before* the next Verizon strike…

8. This is exactly what I just experienced. I moved to a new house about a mile from the old one. First Verizon DSL tells me to wait until my phone is working to change DSL. I wait. On 6/18 I order the switch – I’m told it will take five days. A week passed, no internet. Tuesday the following week I call, and am informed "it appears to still be in progress, everything looks ok. wait a couple more days." Thursday, no internet. I call, and am informed "it appears to still be in progress, everything looks ok. wait a couple more days." Friday, no internet. I call, and am informed "this department is open, but the department you really want is closed for the weekend." (typically a call to Verizon involves one or more switches between departments, and typically the initial call and each switch involves being on hold 15-30 minutes.) Monday, no internet. I call, and am informed "your order seems ‘stuck’ – we’ll have to cancel it and re-submit. it will be another five days. try again on 7/9." I ask "what guarantee can you give me that it won’t just get ‘stuck’ again?" They tell me "none". I call Comcast, and tell them that if they install before 7/9, they get my business. Its the last day of a big sale, so they can only promise 7/10, but are willing to put a note on the order requesting an earlier install. The next day, Tuesday morning, I get a call from Comcast telling me my install is scheduled for 7/3 (in two days). Thursday, 7/3 – cable modem installed, internet restored, verizon DSL canceled.

Comcast may have some flaws, but in comparison with the competition they are freaking awesome.

9. julie says:

oh I sure hope the DSL provider at my next (one month away) house is better than that.

My Verizon experience was one week ago when I decided to swing by the South Burlington storefront (oh, the ONLY one in the entire state of vermont even though UNICEL has about 10 in Burlington alone!) and was held hostage for one and 1/2 hours. With a small store filled with about 40 unhappy people. Got my phone and my new service (was cheaper for National coverage than with unicel).

But wait it gets better. While waiting, a girl cameout from the back office to ask "how do I get in touch with so-and-so. They are at the new store" (wait – they aren’t ADDING a store, just moving). THe response was "you can’t – they do’t have phone service yet". I almost passed out from laughing so hard. This is TRUE! I am not making it up!!

10. gerrard says:

Let me pile on to the Me-Tos. When Verizon’s techs came to install my DSL they accidentally cut my phone line. I called customer service to let them know about the problem and got a lecture about how the two systems were different, and how I needed to add filters to the line. Finally, they agreed to send out a new tech, who discovered that the first guy must have accidentally cut one of the wires in my basement.

Once I finally had everything up and running, I had to deal with disconnects at least twice a day. Not a big deal for home use, but I work at home a lot and can’t afford to take a mid-afternoon breaks.

Ugh…I hate Time Warner, but I’ve rarely had problems w/ my cable service.

11. Mr Burns says:

VERIZON SUCKS!!!

12. New AT&T Customer says:

Verizon Wireless Sucks!

So hears what happened. I have had an account with them for at least 2 years and I am a high volume customer (read they make a lot of money off me). I wanted to get my wife a cell phone for her x-mas present and so I went in a purchased her a phone and a plan with verizon. They said I had a 15-day window to cancell the phone and plan and I would have no charges. I told her that I had purchased the phone the next day and she said that she didn’t want it. I called the verizon folks and cancelled the phone and they verified that it was cancelled. This is when the trouble started. Basically they didn’t cancell the service and they sent me a bill for the service. I thought I had cancelled the plan so I assumed the bill was for my current plan and made payments to them. Then after a few weeks I get a notice from them that my service is going to be cancelled because I haven’t paid my bill. I look into the situation and I realize that they haven’t cancelled the serive I ordered for my wife and that I have paid them for that service and not mine. I speak to a manager at customer service who tells me that the situation is cleared up and that everything will be taken care of. Another month passes and Again I make a payment and they send me a notice that I haven’t paid them. I call again and explain the situation and talk to a customer service manager and they check into it and tell me that they will transfer the money from the one account and close it out and credit my current account. Another month passes and I recieve another bill and then decide to set up electronic bill payment through my bank. I make a payment to verizon and to my amazement they send the damn payment back to my bank saying that its the wrong account number. IU checked and it was the correct account number. They were saying that it should be the acvcount number for my wifes closed account. I spend another 45 minutes dealing with the situation again and speak to a customer service manager and I am told that finally this is going to be taken care of. I check with my bank the next day and Verizon has sent the payment back again!

I called Verizon back and asked for a manager again. I said that I had been trying to correct this situation for four months and they continued to tell me that it was taken care of and then it would end up being a problem the next month. The manager had the audacity to tell me that it was my fault! At this point I got a little pissed off and told the guy to fuck himself and then said that I wanted to cancel my account. He said it would cost me $175 to get out of my contrat early. I said that’s fine.

They closed my account and I continued to have the bank tell me that verizon kept sending the payment back saying it was the wrong account number. I finally got on a conference call with my bank and verizon and got the damn thing closed out.

I haven’t even talk about the scam of trying to get me to sign a new contract with night minutes starting at 9PM when I had the starting at 7PM.

13. New AT&T Customer says:

Verizon Wireless Sucks!

14. Former Verizon Wireless Customer says:

Verizon Wireless Sucks!

VERIZON SUCKS!

15. Pete says:

I suppose I’m the only person here who has NEVER had a problem with VerizonDSL. Let me tell you something, their DSL service is the most reliable internet service available. Phone lines are nowhere near as susceptible to outages as cable lines are, and in the past year I have not had an internet outage even ONCE. Their customer service leaves a little bit to be desired, but most of the company is full of competent workers who know what they’re doing and explain things fully.

Unfortunately I am moving to a new location and am somewhat afraid of not getting DSL service promptly. I’ll post back with my experience.

Regarding wireless service, THE CUSTOMER is the one that should be keeping track of his payment plans and cellphones. Don’t ever depend on a phone company to know what they’re doing, you have to take care of that stuff intelligently.

16. Pat says:

Verizon hasn’t gotten any better. I moved, and they had my wired phone working in the new location. I was not told my number would change (in fact, I explicitly asked if it would stay the same and was told it would). Guess what, the number was different. I had to call my cell phone to find out my phone number. Then I called Verizon to ask about it, and the rep asked if I wanted the old number back. I said yes. The phone hasn’t worked since. It has been over a week. I thought they had it fixed yesterday (after calling the State Corporation Commission and filing a complaint). Last evening I had a working phone – with yet a third number. My wife just called me (about 11:30 am) on her cell phone to tell me the phone was not working again……..

I was going to order DSL thru Verizon because they seem to have the least expensive deal right now. And once it is up and working, things are ok (I had their "high speed networking" in my old apartment – DSL with more equipment in the apartment complex). I’m thinking on going with a cable connection now, even though it will be more than twice as expensive.

17. Dave says:

What you need to keep in mind is that for customer service, Verizon DSL does not use any of their own employees. They all out-source to 3rd party companies to provide their customer service and for the most part, get very little training (about 1 week, from what I have been told).

18. Dave says:

Yep, Verizon sucks. Hands down. Not only are they unwilling to work with you, but they purposefully hide phone numbers to talk to real people about issues. Oh, sure, you can talk to a rep, but they just lose you endlessly in the loop of "I can’t do that you need a different manager"

UGH..