Refreshing the IntelliSense Cache

There are cases where the local cache used by IntelliSense becomes stale. Refreshing the cache is easy but not necessarily obvious. There are two ways to refresh the cache: 1) Go to Edit -> IntelliSense -> Refresh Local Cache and 2) Hit Ctrl+Shift+R

1. Atul says:

Thanks. Is this with regards to Visual Studio? I don’t see a refresh cache option in the menu?

2. Hi Atul,

This is the Transact-SQL IntelliSense feature within SQL Server Management Studio.

3. Deathtospam says:

It makes sense to make this a manual refresh, but I’d had yet to come across this option myself when using SSMS 2008.

4. Frater Grrr says:

Hard telling how long might have passed before I noticed that in the menu had I not found this blog post.  I was going nuts trying to figure out why my new tables and sprocs were not ‘seen’.

5. sliderhouserules says:

Aye, I looked and looked through the menus and couldn’t find anything, but now that this post pointed it out to me, I’m slapping my forehead cause I didn’t notice it there. Thanks Dan.

6. Thank you for your help. Cntrl-Shift + R didn’t work for me. Shortcut probably conflicts with one of the installed plugins. Second way worked like a charm.

7. Joe Kelly says:

This was really bugging me also. Always the simple things that save the most time. Many Thanks. JK.

8. Rusty says:

How did I miss that?  Thanks for the post!

9. treaschf says:

Thanks, this is a useful thing to know.

10. Gary says:

Man, thanks a lot.  That was driving me crazy.

11. Roman says:

Just in case someone stumbles upon this in search of how to refresh the intellisense cache when using Visual Studio to edit SQL, The Edit >> IntelliSense >> Refresh Cache

Keystroke: CTRL + R

12. blackhook says:

Refreshing the cache, in the same logged-in instance of SSMS, did not work for me; i.e., IntelliSense still didn't pick up a new table created in AdventureWorksDW2008R2.

Also, disconnecting & reconnecting the DB Engine also did not work.

What *did* work was exiting SSMS & starting again…voila!…the new table appears in IntelliSense.  Any ideas on what happened?

13. Goran says:

I'm sure it's very valuable tip to a lot of us!

14. bob says:

Thank you.  I was restarting SMS to get it to work.