Windows 7 Rocks!

I’ve installed the M3 build of Windows 7 a week ago. I’ve installed it on my production laptop – all or nothing! :)  I had no problems with it at all, in fact, it’s a little bit faster than Vista was on the same hardware – will see how it changes after I install SQL and a few other apps.

I’m in a state of playing with it at the moment and found a funny feature that I couldn’t find documented so far – if I grab a window and shake it a little bit, all windows will minimize, except the one that I’ve grabbed.

I had one issue so far – it was with Windows Internet Explorer. It was crashing after I’ve installed the Adobe Viewer and Skype. I’ve disabled both add-ins and the problem was solved. I guess, there’s some compatibility issue with IE 8 extensibility which the guys will sort out in the next Beta releases.

One small issue that I’d note and I couldn’t figure out so far, was with video playing. The video is breaking up sometimes, like if the processor was not strong enough to play it. I’ll keep you posted if I find a solution.

These features were the most exciting in the last week:

• The new taskbar: quick start and running programs are integrated. A good example: even when Outlook is running, I have only one Outlook icon on my screen (even if the Start menu is opened). In the past, I had one in the quick launch, one in the taskbar (running) and one in Start menu. It’s just much more logical and simple
  • Audio improvements: applications can be associated with different output devices (Media Player will use the speaker and Communicator/Skype will use your USB headset). When you receive a call, the music will automatically pause/lower
  • Network Centre: it’s just much more logical
  • Improved desktop search experience: if I type “encrypt”, BitLocker is coming up. You can simply write around what you are looking for and Desktop Search will find it for you
  • Ribbon everywhere: Paint has a ribbon and have you seen the new calculator? 🙂

So, if you ask me – I do recommend installing Windows 7. It’s very exciting and quite stable!

1. Jack says:

Do you have an anti virus app running under 7?

AV support uncertainty is the only thing that stops me from upgrading.

2. dszabo says:

Jack, ForeFront is working with no problems and I’ve also tested eTrust, which also works fine!

3. I’m looking forward to this release. I must say that I was a little disappointed with Vista, but I watched a BBC review on this release and it looks much better

4. buzzsaw says:

I’m using Vipre antivirus and antispyware on my win7 beta and it’s working perfectly!

5. TimC says:

Running Avira, no issues.

Other than problems with IE8 Beta, this OS is DA BOMB.

Thank God, Vista sucks royally.

6. ElectronicGuy says:

Windows 7 works perfectly with Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

It’s extremely fast, organizes your things well, has logical menus, and looks great.

I HIGHLY recommend that you install this – it’s great and has more driver and software support than Vista.

7. the roach says:

i use kaspersky internet security and as far as i can tell it works fine…

i am jsut very shaky about the high prize win 7 pro will have, thats going to be the sad news…

but i must wonder if there will be a vista refund ??

win 7 is simply stated nice … eye candy and functional,, i wish logitech webcams would be supported but i am sure this is logis fault and not micros….

8. Ben says:

First off, I am often a critic of Microsoft; especially with regard to vi$ta. That said, Windows 7 has exceeded every expectation.

I’ve been running the beta version for months and will never go back. Once the Ultimate version is formally released, I’ll be buying it.

9. Avo says:

I’m really liking what Microsoft does with their products lately.That said, it’s still stupid I’ve been forced to buy a new copy of windows for every pc I buy. But that aside, Windows 7 is great.

10. David says:

Windows 7 would rock if they could change it to work like Windows XP.

Windows 7 is a nightmare!