There are 3 main steps required to run Automated Tests as part of Release
• Defining a Release Path
• Defining a Component
• Configuring a Release Template
1. Defining a Release Path for running Automated Tests as part of Release
Visual Studio Ultimate, Premium, or Test Professional (version 2010 or up) to code the automated tests.
Matching version-test environment configured including the following components:
Test Controller – attached to the team collection that you will run team build.
Test Agent/s associated with the test controller and installed on the deployment server.
MTM test environment associated with the Test Controller and Test Agent.
- Navigate to Configure Paths | Release Paths and double-click on the “New”.
- Change the name of release path to be “Release Path for Automated MTM Tests” and one deployment stage: Test.
- On the TEST stage, specify:
- Acceptance Step: Approver
- Deployment Step: Owner
- Validation Step: Validator
Save & Close the newly created Release Path.
2. Defining a component for running Automated Test as part of a Release
- Navigate to Configure Apps | Components and double-click on the “New”.
- Change the name of the component to be “MTM Automated Coded UI Test/s”.
- Under the Source Tab – Select “Build with Application”.
- Under the Deployment Tab – Select “MTM Automated Tests Manager” tool.
- Save & Close the newly created Component.
3. Configuring a Release Template for running Automated Tests as part of a Release
- Navigate to Configure Apps | Release Templates and then double-click on the “New” button.
The new template “Properties” Dialog pops up.
- Change the name of the new template to “Template for MTM Automated Tests”
- Change the Release Path to “Release Path for Automated MTM Tests”,
- Select the Build Definitions for your Coded UI tests,
- Unselect “Can Trigger a Release from a Build?”
- Click “Create” Button.
The release template designer has a toolbox with control flow building blocks, servers, custom components, and a bunch of other actions and tools to help with deployment.
- Rick click on the “Components” and select “Add”.
- The available components dialog box pops up.
- Select the “MTM Automated Coded UI Test/s” and click on “Link”. This deployment server has the Test Agent installed in addition to the Deployment Agent.
- The first stage should be selected.
- Drag and drop inside the “Deployment Sequence” the following:
- From the Servers Node:
- ServerName( the deployment server name)
- From the Component node:
- “MTM Automated Coded UI Test/s” component.
You should have the following:
- Collapse all and select the “MTM Automated Coded UI Test/s” component.
Examine the variables that you need to provide:
Save & Close the newly created Release Template.