This week I gave a talk at TechEd focusing on architectural considerations as well as some useful tips for creating n-tier applications with the Entity Framework v3.5SP1. The code from the simple sample application is now available at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/dtl401sample/. It includes:
- an Entity Framework-based Business Object and DAL
- some rudimentary validation implemented using a T4-template to create customized code generation with an OnValidate partial method much like is available from LINQ to SQL
- a repository which abstracts the UI from data access & a fake implementation of that repository
- an asp.net MVC-based UI with URL routing that allows you to specify either to run on the fake repository or on the real one
- a WCF implementation of that repository which remotes calls from the web tier to the midtier
- several unit tests
Have a look and let me know what you think. Of course this is not the end-all-be-all of anything. It’s just a sample designed to illustrate a few concepts, but maybe someone will find it useful.