On upgrading a VS 2008 project to VS 2010 beta 1, some of my unit tests didn’t upgrade fully. There were some references to version “188.8.131.52” assemblies.
I need to go back and let people know about the problem, but I pursued a “nuke everything, it’s the only way to be sure” fix. I removed the test projects from my solution, moved those folders to a scratch folder, and deleted the folders from source control.
Then I got the message “TF14050: Cannot change item xxx because it already has a pending change that is not compatible”. It only took a couple of minutes to figure out—the file was new, marked as “add”, but was “read-only”. I just changed the read-only bit and I could check in.