Migrating a web site from Orcas Beta1 to Beta2 – "Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter ‘asp’."


I ran into a minor problem with an existing web site I have which was running Orcas Beta1 after I upgraded to Beta2.

It’s a content rich site so I spend quite a lot of time just editing pages in between doing actual builds and while editing I kept seeing the error “Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter ‘asp’.” :

image

I couldn’t figure out what was wrong so I ploughed ahead with my edits but eventually wanted to build and at that point found, not surprisingly that it would not:

image

So there I was staring at this error wondering what it meant and finally noticed the error below it – “Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Core, Version 2.0.0.0”.  It often happens that one error in a build is actually the consequence of another error so if you cannot fix one error look at the others and see if you can fix those.

Double clicking the error took me to the offending line in web.config:

image

 

Ok, so Beta 2 installed ok so surely I’ve got System.Core.dll? A quick browse to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) :

image

revealed that System.Core was indeed installed:

image

But look at the version number – 3.5.0.0.

There’s the problem, we’ve revved the version numbers between beta1 and beta2 from 2.0.0.0 to 3.5.0.0.

Turned out that the same is true for System.Web.Extension.dll. This was referenced in multiple places in my web.config so a thorough search and replace was necessary.

Once the version numbers were all changed everything built and the mystery “Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter ‘asp’.” error disappeared as well.

Hope this helps!

Doug

Comments (3)

  1. Daniel Moth says:

    Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter ‘asp’

  2. Let’s be clear from the start, if you read the readme.htm (which I did, uncharacteristically) for Orcas

  3. Let's be clear from the start, if you read the readme.htm (which I did, uncharacteristically) for

Skip to main content