WCF and Apache AXIS interop

I’m getting back to building and publishing working examples.

My latest is a working example of a WCF client communicating with an Apache AXIS 1.4 server, using web services.  You can find it here.  There’s full source code available.

This one shows complex types with nesting being transferred between AXIS and WCF.  There’s no Security or Reliability, etc.  No MTOM either.

If you all have requests or suggestions for other examples, let me know. For this particular example, I think one nice enhancement would be to show the raw XML messages being transmitted back and forth.  I may do that.

Seems like a higher priority ought to be publishing an AXIS 2.0 service, with some more advanced capabilities (like MTOM); or showing an AXIS client communicating with a WCF service.  I’m interested in your input!

1. Anthony says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing your example above with a UserName/X.509 secruity assertion involved.

2. Yaron says:

What I would really like to see is examples of non-interoperability. I’m not talking about net* or proprietary standards, but I would like to see an example of a standards-obeying wcf service that cannot be consumed by an AXIS 2 client. I think we’re in a situation that in most cases we will have interoperability so the opposite case becomes more interesting.

3. dan says:

can I have an example how u’r code work with alfresco web services and WCF?

4. David says:

The case without Username or X.509 and without encryption/signing is very easy to get up and running. So this example is not at all interesting.

But how to get a WCF Service to communicate with an Axis server or vice versa when encryption and/or authentication is used is interesting and causes lots of headaches and problems for me, at least. So such an example would be of use for the world.

5. cheeso says:

David, you’re right, a secure connection is harder and more interesting.  I’ll work on delivering an example of that. I think the basics are still interesting to lots of people.

6. DK says:

I do not believe that the basics are covered by anyone. I can not find one single example of a java client calling a standard WCF service over an encrypted transport with some kind of authentication.

My take is that it is close to impossible and that WCF causes far more problems than it solves.

7. lisa miao says:

I can’t access your example codes (on WCF and apache axis interop). Could you make it available (email or whatever)? Thanks,

8. cheeso says:

Sorry Lisa, my server is no longer up, and I don’t have access to it.  🙁  Not sure if I’ll get it back up.

9. Brijesh says:

Did you developed any sample with Secure communication. We are facing similar issues in accessing WCF from Java client and would be great if you have some working sample.

You can send it to be at brijeshw@gmail.com

10. Stanely says:

That's what I would like to see all the ways about. Specially Silverlight 4 how to consume AXIS complextype content  web service, what can I do ??

11. hmmm says:

the url doesn't work.does anyone have this sample somewhere?