- .NET Framework 4.7, reference documentation, On .NET on modular ASP.NET, Happy birthday .NET with Immo Landwerth, JustAssembly
- On .NET on SonarLint and SonarQube, Happy birthday .NET with Dan Fernandez, nopCommerce, Steve Gordon
- On .NET with Sidharth Gupta on Tizen, Happy birthday .NET with Bertrand Le Roy, JSON.NET 10, Gunnar Peipman
This week on the show, we’ll speak with Don Schenck about Red Hat. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel and on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Happy birthday .NET with Robin Cole
In February we got together with many Microsoft alumni and current employees for a huge .NET Birthday bash. We spoke to Robin Cole, who joined Microsoft in 2005 working on many projects including Expression and Visual Studio. In this quick interview, she shares her thoughts on developers and designers and exciting future ahead.
Package of the week: TinyORM
TinyORM is a new micro-ORM for .NET that automates connection and transaction management, that is simple and easy to use correctly.
Game of the Week: 911 Operator
911 Operator is an indie simulation game. Ever wanted to see what it was like to be a 911 operator? Well, now you can! In 911 Operator, you’ll manage emergency lines by answering incoming calls and reacting appropriately. Give first aid instructions, dispatch emergency respondents or even choose to ignore the call which could very well be from a prankster. In 911 Operator, you can play in any city of the world by using Free Play mode to download real maps, which of course includes real addresses, streets and emergency infrastructure.
Meetup of the week: Global Azure Bootcamp in Miami, FL
The dotnetmiami user group hosts their Global Azure Bootcamp this Saturday at 9:00AM in Miami.
- Visual Studio for Mac to the Cloud and Beyond by Miguel de Icaza.
- Creating and editing solution files with the .NET CLI by Andrew Lock.
- Running .NET Core Apps under Windows Subsystem for Linux (Bash for Windows) by Rick Strahl.
- Simple and elegant microservices authentication using JWT by Tor Hovland.
- .NET Core Overview by Premier Developer.
- Casting to IEnumerable is Two Orders of Magnitude Slower by Daniel Crabtree.
- How to Create .NET Core Windows Services with Visual Studio 2017 by Matt Watson.
- Which version of .NET Core is where? by Donovan Brown.
- ASP.NET Core MVC app running on Raspberry Pi by Laurent Kempé.
- ASP.NET Core IdentityServer4 Resource Owner Password Flow with custom UserRepository by Damien Bowden.
- ASP.NET Core Web Servers: Kestrel vs IIS Feature Comparison and Why You Need Both by Matt Watson.
- How to troubleshoot: “An error occurred while starting the application” in ASP.NET Core on IIS by Scott Sauber.
- Method overload resolution in C# 6.0: an interesting bug story by Milosz Piechocki.
- Happy F# Day!, by Scott Wlaschin
- Visual F# Tools – Visual Studio Toolbox
- Art and Neural Networking in F#, by Robert Pickering
- Using F#, Azure Functions, Fable and Shell Scripts, by Mark Gray
- Playing nice together: how to use F# in a brownfield project, by Gien Verschatse
- Contributing to Visual F# in 2017, by Cameron Taggert
- Freya at FSharpX 2017, by marcus Griep
- Basic implementations of 5 graph data structures in F#, by znProjects
- An interesting (if unsuccessful) look into predicting horse races via machine learning with F# by Zone.
New F# language Suggestions:
There was a major F# conference two weeks ago, F# eXchange. You can view all of the talks online here. If you wish to see all the new and exciting areas where F# is going, please watch them. They’re entirely free.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Controlling Process Flow with the Template Method Pattern by Peter Vogel.
Microsoft Engineering is offering a limited number of technical sessions to help your team build better apps faster, and avoid the common pitfalls in going mobile. The Go Mobile Tech Workshops are dedicated sessions for your team covering everything from your technology stack and architecture to the latest in Visual Studio 2017 and DevOps best practices. These workshops help your team get ahead with current projects and prepare for what is coming next in app development.
- Xamarin Alpha Release: 15.2 Alpha Preview 2 by Bri Brothers.
- Preview 7: Visual Studio for Mac by Bri Brothers.
- Stable Release: Xamarin Workbooks & Inspector 1.2.1 by Bri Brothers.
- Service Release: Xamarin.Forms 126.96.36.199 by David Ortinau.
- Pre-release: Xamarin.Forms 188.8.131.52 by David Ortinau.
- Make Your Xamarin.Forms Apps Even Better (and Faster!) by David Ortinau.
- Podcast: Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4 & Beyond by Pierce Boggan.
- Xamarin Documentation Goes Multilingual! by Joel Martinez.
- New Xamarin Dev Day Cities! by Jayme Singleton.
- Building Your First iOS App and Connected Apps with Microsoft Azure by Courtney Witmer.
- Live Webinar | Getting the Most Out of Xamarin.Forms for Visual Studio 2017 by David Ortinau.
- Displaying Data with macOS Table Views by Adam Hartley.
- Visual Studio for Mac to the Cloud and Beyond by Miguel de Icaza.
- Unit Testing Plugins for Xamarin by James Montemagno.
- Device.OS is Obsolete in Xamarin.Forms… What to do?!?! by James Montemagno.
- Using Visual Studio Mobile Center with a VSTS Code Repo by James Montemagno.
- The Xamarin Show – Episode 21: Deploying Realm Object Server to an Azure Linux VM by James Montemagno.
- Xamarin.Android Linker Tricks Part 1 – Bitdiffer by Jon Douglas.
- Xamarin.Tips – iOS Bar Background Images in Xamarin.Forms by Alex Dunn.
- Orchestrating processes with full recoverability by Szymon Kulec.
- Use Application Insights in a desktop application by Gérald Barré.
- Azure Functions Access-Control-Allow-Credentials with CORS by Benjamin Perkins.
- Introducing: Serverless C# with Azure Functions by Jason Roberts.
- Windows 10 Creators Update: What’s new in Bash/WSL & Windows Console by Rich Turner.
- ICYMI – Your weekly TL;DR By Windows Apps Team.
- COM Server and OLE Document support for the Desktop Bridge By Adam Braden.
- Monetizing your app: Advertisement placement By Kiran Bangalore.
- Inventory and Store System – Part 5.1 (Creating the Player Inventory) by Stacey Haffner.
- Microsoft Launches Xbox Academy, Free Xbox And PC Game Development Classes.
- Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio and its brand-new dev kit by Alex Wawro.
- CRYENGINE 5.3.4 is now available for download.
- Is Horizon’s UI Design good? – The UI Show by The UI Show.
- [Unity 5.5] Tutorial: How to create depth of field in unity (like in GTA) by Gamad.
- Unity – Loading a JSON Collection by FirstGearGames.
- Asset Bundles vs. Resources: A Memory Showdown by Ryan Caltabiano.
- (Unity) 2017.1.0 Beta 1 is available! by Charles_Beauchemin.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- Comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.