- On .NET with Sidharth Gupta on Tizen, Happy birthday .NET with Bertrand Le Roy, JSON.NET 10, Gunnar Peipman
- Happy birthday .NET with Mads Torgersen, Coypu
- On .NET with Scott Hunter, On .NET with Matt Watson, MessagePack
This week, we’ll have Sébastien Ros on the show to talk about modular ASP.NET applications, as they are implemented in Orchard Core. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel and on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Happy birthday .NET with Dan Fernandez
We caught up with Dan Fernandez at the .NET birthday party last month to talk about the good old days and the crazy idea he had of giving away Visual Studio for free. Dan was also part of the original Channel9 crew and one of the best .NET evangelists out there. Happy birthday .NET!
Project of the week: nopCommerce
nopCommerce is a popular open-source e-commerce system built on ASP.NET MVC, Autofac, and Entity Framework. It’s been downloaded 1.8 million times, has more than a hundred partners, and is used by popular brands such as Volvo, BMW, Puma, Reebok, Lacoste, and many more.
Blogger of the week: Steve Gordon
Steve Gordon‘s blog post are deep dives into ASP.NET. There’s no better place to learn about what’s going on when a request is processed by ASP.NET Core than his ASP.NET Core anatomy series. This week, we’re featuring two of Steve’s posts.
Meetups of the week: community lightning talks in Seattle
- No GCs for your allocations? by Maoni Stephens.
- .NET Core console app running on Raspberry Pi by Laurent Kempé.
- The .NET IL Interpreter by Matt Warren.
- Tracing Runtime Events in .NET Core on Linux and Tracing .NET Core on Linux with USDT and BCC by Sasha Goldshtein.
- Externalizing the HttpClient internals for fun & profit by Ayende Rahien.
- Building DockNetFiddle using Docker and .NET Core by Daniel Jimenez Garcia.
- Generate Documentation from Your Build by Erik Dietrich.
- A TPL Actor Pattern by Jos Hickson.
- Cake and Fake on the ThoughtWorks technology radar.
- How to create your own templates for
dotnet newby Sayed Hashimi.
- ASP.NET Core Anatomy (Part 3) – UseMvc – Dissecting and understanding the internals of ASP.NET Core by Steve Gordon.
- Re-execute the middleware pipeline with the StatusCodePages Middleware to create custom error pages by Andrew Lock.
- Retrieving the path that generated an error with the StatusCodePages Middleware by Andrew Lock.
- Hash Passwords with ASP.NET Membership Providers by Jeffrey T. Fritz.
- Raspberry Pi: Run ASP.NET Core on Startup by Carlos Mendible.
- Updating my AlbumViewer Sample to ASP.NET Core 1.1 and Angular 4 by Rick Strahl.
- Secure and explore ASP.NET Core Web APIs by Henrik Lau Eriksson.
dotnet newfeature selection by Muhammad Rehan Saeed.
- Add MVC to your ASP.NET 1.1 application using the dotnet command line by Jon Hilton.
- Migrating from project.json to csproj using Visual Studio 2017 – Moving a real world ASP.NET Core application using VS2015 project.json to VS2017 and csproj by Steve Gordon.
- .NET Core, ASP.NET Core logging with NLog and PostgreSQL by Damien Bowden.
- Model Binding in ASP.NET Core by Dino Esposito.
- Adding Global Error Handling and Logging in ASP.NET Core with IExceptionHandlerPathFeature by Scott Sauber.
- Await your event handlers completion with Deferred Events by Pedro Lamas.
- Get Started with MultiRow Data Grid for ASP.NET MVC (video) by Jody Handley.
- Christian Nagel is giving away a free chapter on C# 7 from his C# and .NET Core book.
- C# 7.0: Deconstruction demystified by Alexander Tsvetkov.
- Sharing .NET generic code under the hood by Yi Zhang.
- Expression Trees in C# with an example by Sanskriti.
- C# 7–The Good Parts–Pattern Matching (video) by Mark Heath.
- Understand monads with LINQ by Miłosz Piechocki.
- Getting Started with .NET Core using F#
- Building a security testing service with F#, by William Blum
- Using F# to write serverless Azure functions, by Lee Stott
- Gram Schmidt in FSharp, by Jeremy Bellows
- Slack TypeProvider, by Flechner Romain
- A Reusable ApiController Adapter, by Mark Seemann
- Creating an Azure Functions solution diagram, by Mathias Brandewinder
New F# Language Suggestions:
- Implicit interface implementation from an object expression
[<StructuralComparison>]for simple class types
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- What’s New in Visual Basic 2017 by Klaus Löffelmann.
- Stable Release: Cycle 9 SR0 with Xcode 8.3 Support by Bri Brothers.
- Technical Bulletin: Xcode 8.3 Support for VS 2017 by Adrian Murphy.
- Beta Release: 15.1 Beta Preview 2 by Bri Brothers.
- Pre-release: Xamarin.Forms 184.108.40.206-pre6 by David Ortinau.
- Xamarin Alpha Preview by Cody Beyer.
- Xamarin Podcast: Enhanced XAML Productivity with MFractor by Pierce Boggan.
- Announcing New Monthly Pricing for Xamarin University! by Mark Smith.
- Become a Mobile Developer with Visual Studio 2017 and Xamarin University by Mark Smith.
- Episode 20: Realm Mobile Databases with Adam Fish by The Xamarin Show.
- Xamarin.Tips – Xamarin.Forms iOS ListView Refresh Spinner Color by Alex Dunn.
- Xamarin.Tips – Create Your Own Star Wars Intro Text! by Alex Dunn.
- Xamarin.Tips – Visual Studio Code Templates/Snippets for MVVM Light by Alex Dunn.
- Xamarin.University – Upcoming Guest Lecture on Cross-Platform WebRTC by Alex Dunn.
- Validating User Input in Xamarin.Forms IV by David Britch.
- Beautiful Xamarin Apps by Daniel Krzyczkowski.
- File Persistence in Xamarin.Forms Apps by Jesse Liberty.
- Xamarin.Forms application with MvvmCross – VIII by Can Bilgin.
- Transition from Xamarin.Forms to Xamarin Native Pt. 1 by Mario Jesús Galván Miranda.
- Colored Map Markers on Xamarin iOS and Android by James Montemagno.
- Connect to your Android emulator running on mac from your windows VM by Jan Tourlamain.
- Bindable Properties in Xamarin Forms by Adam Pedley.
- Less repetitive code to reach REST APIs for your Xamarin.Forms app with Refit by Gerald Versluis.
- Supporting Xamarin.Forms Master Detail Page in Caliburn.Micro by Nigel Sampson.
- HTTP-triggered Azure Functions by Gunnar Peipman.
- Announcing UWP Community Toolkit 1.4 By David Catuhe.
- Desktop Bridge: Creators Update By Arian Ghotbi.
- New MapControl features in Windows 10 Creators Update By Sandra Lori-Amini.
- Simplify payments in UWP Apps with the Payment Request API from Microsoft By Stan Chang.
- Building Better Entity Framework Applications by Jon Smith.
- [Unity] Social Sharing Tutorial (Unity, Android) by Reso Coder.
- Why F.E.A.R.’s AI is still the best in first-person shooters by Samuel Horti.
- Designing Game Controls by Andrew Dotsenko.
- The Stress of Game Development – Tips for Survival by Extra Credits.
- Curated #UnityTips No. 39 by Devdog March 2017.
- 5.6 is now available and completes the Unity 5 cycle by Alex Lian
- Classic Game Postmortem: Maniac Mansion.
- From Rational to Emotional: Designs that Increase Player Retention.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.