- Adafruit Class Library for Windows IoT Core, Floor Plan.
- On .NET with David Pine, PwdLess, Terraria.
- On .NET with Reed Copsey, Jr., Orchard Harvest, Ammy, Concurrency Visualizer, Eco
.NET Core, .NET Native, NuGet, VS 2017 RC updates
This week, we announced updates to .NET Core, .NET Native, NuGet, and VS 2017 RC. Check out the posts for all the details.
- Announcing .NET Core, .NET Native and NuGet Updates in VS 2017 RC
- January 2017 Update for ASP.NET Core 1.1
- Updates to Web Tools in Visual Studio 2017 RC
- Update to Visual Studio 2017 Release Candidate
We had two shows last week. Our first show was a special on public speaking hosted by Kendra Havens, with Scott Hanselman, Kasey Uhlenhuth, Maria Naggaga Nakanwagi, and Donovan Brown.
On our second show, Patrick Smacchia showed the latest version of ndepend, a very advanced code quality tool.
Video removed at the request of nDepend.
Tool of the week: CrazyCore
Eric Mellino is a developer on the .NET team, and when he’s not working on .NET Core, he builds game engines like it’s nothing at all. His engine, CrazyCore, is still very early, but is very impressive nonetheless. It’s open-source, cross-platform, and it runs on .NET Core. One of the most interesting aspects of this work is how Eric went the extra mile to build wrapper for the libraries he needed, and that didn’t exist yet for .NET Core.
You can read more about CrazyCore in Eric’s blog post: Building a 3D Game Engine with .NET Core
Game of the week: The Perils of Man
The Perils of Man is a point and click style adventure game. The Perils of Man tosses you straight into a world of mystery while it recounts the disappearance of Max Eberling, a rogue scientist who vanished 10 years prior. Even more mysterious is that his father also vanished years before him. In The Perils of Man, you take the role of Ana Eberling, a teenage girl on a mission to out what happened to Max, who happens to be her father. Journey through time and explore the notions of cause and effect while solving a century old mystery.
User group meeting of the week: Docker for .NET in Tulsa
- Virtual Panel: What’s Next for .NET? by Pierre-Luc Maheu.
- Open sourcing the VS Test platform by Brian Harry.
- Publishing .NET Core NuGet packages by Ryan Stelly.
- Announcing a new documentation experience: easy to customize API, content/wiki pages, and blog posts in the new Wyam Docs recipe by Dave Glick.
- How to print a GIF by stupotmcdoodlepip.
- Common code style in Visual Studio 2017 and VS 2017 + new csproj = useful or useless? by Piotr Stapp.
- What happened to my Thread.CurrentPrincipal by David Pine.
- C# 7.0 expression bodied members by Christian Nagel.
- .Net Core, Roslyn and code generation by Carlos Mendible.
- Adding Files to Visual Studio Projects by Rick Strahl.
- Debugging .NET Core on Unix over SSH by Gregg Miskelly.
- Microsoft Security Advisory 4010983: Vulnerability in ASP.NET Core MVC 1.1.0 Could Allow Denial of Service.
- ASP.NET Core Authentication with IdentityServer4 by Mike Rousos.
- Docker compose with ASP.NET Core, EF Core and the PostgreSQL image by Damien Bod.
- Reloading strongly typed options in ASP.NET Core 1.1.0 by Andrew Lock.
- A file upload API with Nancy, .NET Core in a shockingly small amount of code by NandoTech.
- Introducing Alba for integration testing against ASP.Net Core applications by Jeremy D Miller.
- ASP.NET Core – Migrating to MSBuild by Aaron Marisi.
- Building complex UI components with ASP.NET Core MVC Tag Helpers by Scott Addie.
- Building microservices with ASP.NET Core (without MVC) by Filip W.
- Building simple plug-ins system for ASP.NET Core by Gunnar Peipman.
- Learning Visual F# – Foundations
- Modeling state in action, by Isaac Abraham.
- Fiddling with ASP.NET Core with F# and Suave, by Shane Logsdon.
- F# – How to keep domain pure when logic depends on current date, by Lauri Taimila.
- Authentication for WebSharper sitelet with JWT token in F#, by Kimserey Lam.
New Language Suggestions:
- Redefine some top-level operators to allow for overloading.
- Make DU types easier to use (correctly) in C#, add switch and match methods on root type.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Manage App Service, SQL Database, and more – Azure Management Libraries for .NET by Asir Selvasingh.
- Azure Tools for Visual Studio Code 1.2.0 – ARM export, batch, telemetry by Brady Gaster.
- How To Build Planet Scale Mobile App in Minutes with Xamarin and DocumentDB by Kirill Gavrylyuk.
- Using Azure Functions to add a Contact Form to a Static Site by Eli Weinstock-Herman.
- Visual Studio for Mac – Preview 3 by Adrian Murphy.
- Xamarin Beta Release: Cycle 9 RC Refresh Builds by Bri Brothers.
- Mobile Composer Transforms Products, People, and Processes with Xamarin Apps by Lacey Butler.
- Ship Better Apps Faster with the Mobile Center Webinar Series by Keith Ballinger.
- Learn More About Mobile Center with Our New Webinar Series by HockeyApp Team.
- Planet Xamarin: Follow Your Favorite Community Bloggers & Lightweight Ads for Android Apps by James Montemagno.
- Announcing the Newest Xamarin MVPs! by Jayme Singleton.
- Xamarin.iOS Build Mechanics by Xamarin.
- Simplified In-App Purchases for Xamarin iOS and Android & Opening App Store for Ratings on iOS and Android by James Montemagno.
- The Xamarin Show – Snack Pack 7: Plugins for Xamarin and Windows by James Montemagno.
- Creating .NET Bindings for C Libraries with ObjectiveSharpie by Miguel de Icaza.
- Incremental ListView Control and Plugin for Xamarin.Forms by John Miller.
- Introduction To Exrin (Video), Xamarin Forms Debugging The WebView In Chrome, & Cookie Sharing with WebView and the Http Client by Adam Pedley.
- Attached Properties – What Are They Good For? by Matthew Soucoup.
- Xamarin Mac Agent–Unable to connect by David Yardy.
- How To Design Eye-Catching App Icons by Michael Flarup.
- More Than Just Pretty: How Imagery Drives User Experience by Nick Babich.
- Calling Windows 10 APIs From WinForms, WPF and more! by Michael Crump.
- Observing system color changes in UWP apps by Martin Zikmund.
- Time stamping AppX packages by Mattias Sjögren.
- Testing a desktop app converted with the Desktop Bridge in the proper way by Matteo Pagani.
- Inventory and store system – Part 1 by Stacey Haffner.
- Top 10 Unity tips by Brackeys.
- Blender table animation in Unity 5 by Jay AnAm.
- Hex Map 13: managing maps by Catlike Coding.
- MonoGame – Engines, frameworks & more by Simon Jackson.
- [Unity 5] Tutorial: how to create an infinite background (2D) by Gamad.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.