To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 8/2/2016.
Package of the week: OxyPlot
OxyPlot is an open source and cross-platform plotting library.
Here’s how you’d plot the
cos function in a Universal Windows application:
Tool of the week: .NET API Catalog
.NET API Catalog is a new tool that makes it easy to explore .NET APIs and figure out what support exists for each API on each version of .NET: .NET Framework, .NET Standard, Mono, or even Silverlight. I particularly like the hackable URLs that enable you to easily reach any API from its long name.
The tool runs on Azure, with an in memory object model that is pulled from Azure Blob Storage. The deployment of the web site is fully automated and is happening each time a commit happens to our internal CoreFxTools Git repo, which is hosted on VSTS, without disrupting service.
Game of the Week: Dreamfall Chapters
Dreamfall Chapters is the latest sequel to the hit adventure games The Longest Journey and DreamFall: Longest Journey. The Longest Journey series takes place in two parallel universes, known as Stark, a cyberpunk future Earth, and Arcadia, a magical fantasy realm. You take on the role of two heroes as you follow their unlikely journey to save both worlds. Experience a deep and engaging story that is shaped with your decisions, and make no mistake, those decisions will have consequences that matter! Dreamfall Chapters is broken into five episodes, each of which show you how your decisions ranked against those that other players made.
Make no mistake: the Dreamfall series is one of the very best in the point-and-click adventure genre. It has amazing and deep storytelling. A personal favorite, very highly recommended.
Dreamfall Chapters was created by Red Thread Games using Unity and C#. They also use Azure for their online server. Dreamfall Chapters is available on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux via Good Old Games and Steam as well as PlayStation 4.
User group meeting of the week: IOT RpiCar and ASP.NET Core + Docker in Bucharest, Romania
Join the ADCES group and Victor Hurdugaci on Tuesday, August 9 at 7:00PM at the AFI PARK 2, Bucharest, Romania for a session about IOT RpiCar and ASP.NET Core + Docker.
- Announcing .NET Framework 4.6.2 by Stacey Haffner.
- Compile your changes on the fly with .NET Core Watch by Jon Hilton.
- Entity Framework Core 1.0 – Table Valued Functions and LINQ Composition by Christos Matskas.
- Announcing Machine.Specifications (MSpec) 0.11 for .NET Core, .NET CLI and .NET Standard by Ivan Zlatev.
- NSubstitute 2.0.0 (RC) released with .NET Core compatibility by David Tchepak.
- .NET thread-pool threads and CLR worker threads by Changhong Fu.
- Fast Deep Copy by Expression Trees (C#) by Frakon.
- Throttling to improve responsiveness by jbe2277.
- Exploring Entity Framework Core 1.0.0 RTM Changes by Steve Gordon.
- ASP.NET Core Kestrel – The Need for Speed by Mark Downie.
- ASP.NET Core Dependency Injection by Shawn Wildermuth.
- Add HTTP headers to static files in ASP.NET Core by Jürgen Gutsch.
- Integration testing your ASP.NET Core middleware using TestServer by Joseph Woodward.
- Simulating Latency in ASP.NET Core by Marius Schulz.
- Forking the pipeline – adding tenant-specific files with SaasKit in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- Walmart Rewrites Its E-Commerce Strategy With $3.3 Billion Deal for Jet.com by Leslie Picker and Rachel Abrams.
- F# in Numbers: A Look at the Annual F# Survey Results by Tomas Petricek.
- F# for Fun and Profit is Available as a Gitbook
- Comparing Scala to F#, by Mikhail Shilkov
- F# for Scala Developers (slides) by Alfonso Garcia-Caro.
- TypeShape: Practical Generic Programming for F#, a new library by Erik Tsarpalis
- Perspectives on Clojure and F# (video) by Rich Hickey and Joe Pamer.
- If you’re not live-codeing, you’re dead-coding (video) by Jeremy Chassaing.
- Fable |> React Native – Native apps with F# by Steffen Forkmann.
- Incremental construction of DFA in F# by Vyacheslav Chernykh.
- Building an OData service in F# using Entity Framework and Suave by Tamizh Vendan.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin.Forms 2.3.1-stable by Bryan Hunter.
- Using Speech Recognition in iOS 10 by Greg Shackles.
- .NET Standard Library Support for Xamarin and Creating and Consuming .NET Standard Libraries in Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms (video) by James Montemagno.
- .NET Standard Library with Xamarin Forms and .NET Standard with Xamarin Forms Gotchas by Adam Pedley.
- Integrating Azure Active Directory B2C into Xamarin Mobile App by Hossam Barakat.
- Using the ContainerView to Share Views – aka Fragments in Xamarin.iOS by Richard Woollcott.
- IL2CPP Optimizations: Faster Virtual Method Calls by Josh Peterson
- Hex Map 3: Elevation by Catlike Coding
- 1.2 Unity Tower defense tutorial – Tile types by inScope Studios
- Unity and C# Tutorial 4 – Finish Rock Paper Scissors Console by Craig Hinrichs
- C# Monogame RPG Made Easy Tutorial 3 – Xml Serialization by CodingMadeEasy
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.