Notes on making virtual machines run faster inside of VirtualPC/Virtual Server
- Make sure the VHD and any undo disks are on a different disk than the host OS.
- If this VM will only be run by VS, use SCSI instead of IDE drives as described here:
- Changes to make in the guest OS:
- Remove temp files/folders/recycled items
- Turn off System Restore (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced)
- Tune for performance (My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced)
- Enable full hardware video acceleration
- If you are not CPU constrained, use NTFS compression
- Defrag disk
- Precompact the disk
- In VPC/VS, inspect the disk and compact the VHD.
- Defrag the VHD file
Also check out Dan's great blog post about speeding up XP on a VPC.