DCOM Error 10010 in the Event logs and SLUGGISH server performance

We have come across this specific issue on Windows 2003 (post service pack 1) and Windows XP (post service pack 2) where the machine experiences slow performance and we observe many DCOM 10010 ERRORS in the event logs. If you are running in to this issue, you may see some of the symptoms/errors listed below.

• Doing anything takes forever. You click Start button and it responds to you after a minute (or may be more than that). Switching windows in the Taskbar takes very long.
  • If you have IIS installed on the server, the IIS related services may not start or may hang while starting. Typically these errors appear when you try to start them.
    • Trying to start the IISADMIN service throws an error – Windows Could not start the IIS Admin Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the system Event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code –2147221164(0x80040154) or The IIS Admin Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147746132 (0x80040154).
    • If IISADMIN service is started, trying to start the World Wide Web Publishing Service hangs and the service goes into the Starting state and after some time it may throw the error – The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated with service-specific error 2148007941 (0x80080005)
  • While expanding COM+ Applications inside component services, you may get the below error
    • An error occurred while processing the last operation
    • Error code 8000FFF – Catastrophic failure
  • You observe many DCOM Errors 10010 in the event viewer (like this)
    • The server {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout
    • The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

Read the full post here https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/puneetgupta/2009/01/21/dcom-error-10010-in-the-event-logs-and-sluggish-server-performance/

1. David says:

I experienced this problem after persuasive SQL 7 database was installed.  The user permissions were removed from CLSID, Trashed the server. The persuasive was merely a reinstalltion over the top of an already installed program.

Thank you – this blog saved me a server rebuild and hours of effort.

2. andrew says:

How do you get into the "permissions on the HKCRCLSID"

3. SudhaThota says:

Andrew,

HKCR is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

You can open registry by going to Start->Run  and typing ‘regedit’ and clicking OK.

Once you are in regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and find CLSID key. Right Click and Choose permissions.

HTH

4. TimC says:

I am seeing DCOM error 10010 on a Windows XP SP3 machine. The event log message is:

The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The PC is an HP Pavilion a6700f Quad-Core w/ 4GB which came with Vista, but we needed XP on it. I would suspect there is some driver issue, but who knows?

I will made the suggested change, will reboot now and follow up.

5. Luca says:

YOU SAVED MY DAY!!! I had the same exact problems and errors. Added just read permissions for "Users" group and all got back to work like a charm. I’m so grateful you decided to share your experience. Thanks SO MUCH!

6. Ryan says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!  I have been troubleshooting this problem for weeks now and ran across your blog which solved my problem in 5 minutes!  If I could I would buy you a beer, a big one!

Ciao

7. Manoel Maia says:

Yes… My IIS/WWW is working fine now…!!!

Very good, thank so much!!!

8. Jeff says:

This saved me as well!  Thank you!

9. Burhan says:

In some cases is not possible to set edit ACL via Regedit. :S

So I used great setacl tool(http://setacl.sourceforge.net) to give permission to this registry key.

Example use of setacl: setacl -on “HKCRCLSID” -ot reg -actn ace -ace “n:Authenticated Users;p:read”

10. Chris says:

Yes!   Thanks for the help.  I would have NEVAR(!) found it otherwise….

Saved my client big $$…

11. jwg says:

I was experiencing the same issue on XP Home SP3.  The problem was partially averted by disabling the Shell Hardware Detection service.  Adding Users group w/ READ permission to registry HKCRCLSID via REGEDT32 fixed the issue.  Thanks!

12. Joel says:

Fixed it on an XP Professional machine after installing SP3.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Neil says:

Don't forget the Creator / Owner permissions!!  This is what repaired my individual case.  I believe the problem is Symantec.  Went to install Norton AntiVirus 2010, was told that SystemWorks 2009 was incompatible (go figure…), halted the installation but the damage was done.  Thanks for the article!!

14. Dano says:

Thank you so much!  I struggled with this and even called MS Support to no avail.  5 minutes on this blog saved my @$$!!

15. Jeff says:

Your solution worked for us too.

We have Proventia installed, not sure if it contributed to this by "editing" the ACLs or not, but it is suspect. After a completely unrelated registry ACL change, we ran into this.

16. Chris says:

Thank you so much – this just relieved my huge headache and made many people happy!  Users group was missing for some reason.  Added it back and no more problem.  Still not sure what root cause was…

17. You Rock says:

Add me to the "You saved my aXX" list.  Somehow an Office 2007 installed whacked the permissions on that key and I could barely even start the darn server.    Whew … I don't have to work ALL weekend after all.

Thanks !

18. YOU RULE!!  Another VERY satisfied customer!!  THANKS !!

For me it happened after I changed the ASP.NET from 1.1. to 2 in the public folder settings of OWA … (don't ask!)

Phil

19. Thank you very much for this fix – regarding HKCRCLSID – it fixed my problem as well.  It was taking 5 to 6 minutes for my pc to shutdown.

20. olddady says:

Thank you ! Thank you very very much!

21. olddady says:

Only your solution is worked, Thank you very much !

22. Immunitas says:

Thank you very much, this helped a lot !

May the force be with you :)

23. Shankar says:

HI All,

My issue not resolved. Still i am getting same issue. CLSID default value not set. Could you pls help me to get this fix.

24. Johannes N says:

This helped me fix critical issues on a global scale Citrix farm.

Thousands of end-users are sending their gratitude.

Boomshanka!

25. Adam says:

This solved constant issues with .Net patch installation on a Windows 2003 server. No .Net patch would install after a particular date. Reset CLSID permissions as shown and patches now install. Many thanks!

26. Brandon says:

I had this issues on Windows 10/TP Build 9860… Can't believe how many version of Windows this can affect.

Thanks a million.

27. Shaun says:

Hi I am seeing alot of these errors Windows Server 2012 R2 , what i also notice is once i reboot the server the erros is cleared for a day and then starts up again , I have checked this option and the permissions are correct . What else could be causing this issue .

28. puneetg says:

Hi Shaun,

Are you seeing DCOM errors or W3SVCWAS related errors ? One another reason for these errors could be missing registry permissions on other places. You should check what APPID (It is a GUID in the error message) is reported in the event viewer and search it in registry to find out what application that belongs to.

If the issue is happening only on a reboot then a PROCMON trace with Boot Logging enabled will help you to identify any access denied issues on registry during startup.

Hope that helps

Thanks,

Puneet Gupta

29. Rusty2198 says:

I have been having this identical problem on my Dell Inspiron 660s desktop computer. It started immediately after MS forced Win 8.1 on me. I have also been having problems with Task scheduler, which is dependent on DCOM.The error message, The server {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout, keeps popping up. Would your solution about the registry still apply to my situation? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM

Date:          12/14/2014 10:43:12 AM

Event ID:      10010

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          MyPCRussell Pryor

Computer:      MyPC

Description:

The server {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/…/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">10010</EventID>

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">{BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001}</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

30. Russell Pryor says:

I sent you a post 3 days ago & still see no response concerning the DCOM error 10010,the server {4545DEA0-2DFC-4906-A728-6D986BA399A9} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. Also 2 other server numbers keep coming up every day since the upgrade to Win 8.1 was forced on me by MS. this has been going on for 6 weeks now. I tried your suggestion but it was for a 2003 version & my permissions are different.

they are for All App packages=READ, Restricted=READ, System=FULL& READ, Russell Pryor=FULL & READ, Administrators=FULL & READ. Do I need to modify these permissions? Please help.

31. puneetg says:

Hello Russell,

I am not 100% sure if you are running into the same problem but there is no harm trying these steps. If these help, then good because this article was really written targeting 2003 however I have seen other people commenting that same steps worked for other operating systems as well

It these steps don't help then try capturing a procmon trace and see if you see any access denied while accessing registry.

Thanks,

Puneet Gupta

32. Russell Pryor says:

In my previous post I gave you the permissions as listed in my registry. I have Win 8.1. Are these the correct permissions for Win 8.1? All app packages=READ, Restricted=READ, System=FULL & READ, Russell Pryor=FULL & READ, Administrators=FULL & READ. I do not want to make any changes if they are already set correctly.

33. Russell Pryor says:

Well, no thanks to this website, I finally found a solution. Someone traced the GUID to SkyDrive & recommended unchecking the 2 maintenance tasks. I checked the history first & it said "run failure" every day, so I disabled the 2 maintenance tasks & it worked! I have not had the DCOM server errors since!

34. eswanson says:

Wow, thanks to you!!!!  Issues on 2003 server resolved.  Saved my day.  Thank you, thank you!