Say you have WSS 3.0 with Embedded SQL edition and then you install the SQL server 2005 full blown version on the box. Now you want to connect to the instance of the Sharepoint database to take a backup. How will you connect?
Here is how we connect to the Embedded SQL instance:
We can create a Server Alias for the "MICROSOFT##SSEE" named instance.
1. Run "cliconfg" on the box from the command line or from Start --> Run
2. In the "SQL Server Client Network Utitity" console, click the Alias tab.
3. Create a new Server alias.
4. Server alias: <ServerName>\MICROSOFT##SSEE
5. Replace <ServerName> with the exact server.
Network libraries: Named Pipes
Server name: .\MICROSOFT##SSEE
Pipe name: \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query
6. Then open SQL 2005 management studio, input <ServerName>\MICROSOFT##SSEE as Server Name.
Now you can use SQL 2005 management studio to connect to the SQL data for Sharepoint site successfully.