How to fix the Outlook Express spelling checker when the French Dictionary is the only dictionary

A few days ago I was working on a new laptop and I noticed that after I installed Office 2007 the English dictionary in Outlook Express had been changed to the French dictionary. I also noticed that I was unable to change it back to the English dictionary. I have been able to fix this in the past by just going in to Outlook and selecting the dictionary that I wanted to use, and it would take care of this for Outlook Express as well. This time was different and it did not fix it. So after some research I found an easy way to fix this. There is a spelling checker you can install for Outlook Express that will reinstall the default English Dictionary. Download Spell Checker For OE.

NOTE: This application has no spyware or adaware!

Dave

1. leprkhn says:

Thank you so much!

i had the same problem… installed office 2k7 and outlook express only had a french dictionary.

this did the trick however

2. Chuck says:

As my old dictionary would say, "Tres cool! Merci beaucoup" :^ ). Thanks a lot for this. I installed it and, not only was the English dictionary there, it was already set as the default. Thanks again, Chuck

3. Suzanne Flynn says:

Thanks!  I too had the same problem and this fixed it.  Hope it has not as yet unforeseen effects elsewhere!  I had the OUTLLOK 2007 Beta and this did not happen.  thanks Suzanne

4. Kathy Adler says:

Wow!  I love it when you can find a solution (no thanks to Microsoft’s support pages, mind you) without too much pain & suffering.  I was able to send this link to my Dad who was struggling with the same issue — and within minutes, he replied saying it was fixed!  Thanks much, Dave!

5. ian4c says:

Many many thanks for this information. You are a Star!  Ian

6. Andy K says:

Found this and it works great!

……. install just the proofing tools from your previous version of Office (using the custom install option).  You can get them from any older Office suite or application – including FrontPage, Publisher or standalone versions of Word, Excel, or Outlook.

To install just the proofing tools from Office 2003, run Office setup and choose the custom option. Uncheck all programs in the list and add a check to choose the options at the bottom of the programs list. No the nest screen, set each top level item to be Not Available (red X icon). Expand the Office Shared Features branch and locate Proofing tools in the list. Expand proofing tools and choose English, setting it to Run from my computer. Finish the installation.

Once installed, restart OE – go to Tools, Options and verify Spelling is configured to use the correct English dictionary.

7. Machado says:

Ok hears one for you… before I got to this page

I read that I neededto find a csapi3t1.dll file and to place it where they said ( don’t remeber where now)and it would work but it did not? then I found this page downloaded the software but it now frezes outlook express when I try to send if I switch back to french it works? I want to remember the file but I cant remember where I placed it any body have a clue?

Thanks

8. Rie says:

Hmmmm Shame it’s English (US) not UK, so you get all those silly Z’s in things like organise!

9. dgoldman says:

They do have some other versions that you can buy that are commercial from what i saw 🙂

10. Lesley says:

Thanks so much for this tip, was at my wit’s end!

11. Davester says:

How to I get it from english (US) to Australia.

Great program, but this is a minor niggle.

12. Chris says:

Works great! I’ve been looking for days! Thank you!

13. Bob says:

Here another fix.

Problem: spell check in OE comes up in French

(only for students that are have XP for OS and MS Office 2007 installed)

Cause: OE spell check dictionary is pulling from MS Office 2007 which is default in French

Fix:   Have the student open their MS Office word 2007>

Click the MS Office Icon

Go down to word options button

Click on proofing

Put a check in (suggest from main dictionary only)

Click the drop down button by – dictionary languages

Go down and select English (united states)

Click ok twice

Restart their OE and try again to use the spell check

14. Paul says:

Much thanks.   Worked effortlessly

15. Allison says:

So glad I found this.  Google is a wonderful thing, and this website is great.  Thanks.

16. Jim says:

WOW! That was easy.  thanks so much!!!

17. Bill says:

As everyone else has said, mercy bo coo.  I was going a bit gaga trying to figure how to fix that dictionary.

18. Polly says:

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely bookmark this site to My Favorites!

19. Glynis Geen says:

Thats all well and good. fixing OE spell checker to English (US). but I require English (australian)spell checker does anyone know how to fix this?

20. LightHouse says:

For those who want to keep their language (get it back?) here is what I did.  (I am not a tech!)

I uninstalled my new Office Product (Home and Student 2007) using a Restore Point in my Windows XP Home.

This left me needing to re-install /re-activate my Microsoft Works 2006 and after I did this I found on my Programs List the Office Language Settings Option to set my Default Language to English Canada.

Then when I re-installed The Microsoft Office H & S 2007 > Custom and Keep Old Product it remembered the Default language.  (Down side??? It kept the old version of Word 2002 but since I liked it anyway not an issue for me  🙂 )

I hope that made sense and would work for others.

This advice is at your own risk as only you know your computer  🙁

21. LightHouse says:

p.s. to last message:

It appears I have both Microsoft Word 2002 (from the Works Suite 2006) and also from the Programs list I can choose to use the new version of Word that came with the Office H & S 2007.  It takes a minute to Configure to use Word 2007 product but it is there  🙂

22. Susin Carter says:

THANK  YOU !  We have been trying to correct this problem and nothing worked until this. Thank you, thank you.

23. Keith Seddon says:

Excellent!

But now I have American spellings, which keeps getting tripped up by my BRITISH spellings!

How do I get English (U.K.) into OE?

24. Keith Seddon says:

How do I get OE to check spelling in BRITISH English?

I have run the program from http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlspelloe.html

but this puts only an English (U.S.) dictionary into OE…

25. After completing an installation of Office 2007 Enterprise at the office I went into Outlook Express