Well I hope you enjoyed my slot in the VDNUG meeting on building mobile apps with Visual Studio 2005. Here are the references I discussed...
- Windows Mobile V5 SDK
- Openwave emulator - check out their developer site for the SDK download (see http://asp.net/mobile/DeviceSimulators.aspx?tabindex=5 for more info on emulators)
- http://www.opennetcf.org - Smart Devices Framework, almost required for Compact Framework V1 applications, much less so for Compact Framework V2
Demos and Sample code
ASP.NET V2 Mobile Web Forms - Web browser based adaptive/broad reach device application development.
- Can be built with Full Visual Studio 2005 (and 2003) or Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Adaptive to most mobile phones in the market place, I can't find list of devices supported in ASP.NET V2, but check out what is supported in ASP.NET V1 here and you'll see that it's a comprehensive list of phones and emulators!!
Mobile Web Forms demo links
Mobile Web Mappoint:
- Demo URL: http://tinyurl.com/bpevs
- Source code: http://projectdistributor.net/Projects/Project.aspx?projectId=143
- Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/mappoint/ for great info and possibilities around MapPoint
Hoff Piccie of the Day (lol, yes I know but a bit of a laugh, and you did...) it should work on pretty much any phone that can connect to the internet - let me know if it doesn't!! But basically to demonstrate the adaptive nature of the ASP.NET Mobile Web Forms Server Controls - notably the Calendar control.
- Demo URL: http://tinyurl.com/7kmfd
Compact Framework - Targeting Windows Mobile Devices for Rich and Partially Connected Scenarios
Compact Framework Working Samples
- SMSVoter Applicaton: Compact Framework V2+ and Windows Mobile V5 Devices. Demonstrates using SMS as an application data transport and notification mechanism. Also makes extensive use of SQL Server Mobile 2005. See http://projectdistributor.net/Projects/Project.aspx?projectId=152
- Convert It: Demonstrates extensive use of XML and Web Services from a Smartphone running Compact Framework V1, see http://blogs.msdn.com/dglover/articles/481688.aspx
3rd Party Apps Used or spotted during demos
- Pocket Controller Pro 5.04 - Used to project Smartphone and Pocket PC on to PC Display - see http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=1547
- Egress RSS News Reader - see http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12324