As a lab owner, you can now configure enforcing a shutdown schedule for all the virtual machines in your lab so that you can save costs from wasteful running machines. Previously, lab users were able to override or opt out of the lab shutdown schedule on their individual lab virtual machines. This lead to machines running overnight and in turn generating wasteful resources.
We believe this feature will not only help you as lab owner to enforce a shutdown policy on all your lab VMs centrally but also save your lab users the effort from setting up a schedule for their individual machines. With this feature, we enable you to set the policy on your lab schedule starting from offering no control to full control, to your lab users.
As a lab owner, you can configure this policy by selecting Configuration and policies, Schedules and Auto shutdown policy.
Now, let's go over the three options for this policy that the you can pick from. Also, please note that the set policy will only apply to new virtual machines created in the lab and not to the older/ already existing ones.
- User sets a schedule and can opt out
- If you set your lab to this policy, the lab users will be able to override or opt out of the lab schedule. This option will grant lab users full control over their virtual machine auto shutdown schedule. Lab users will see no change in their virtual machine auto shutdown schedule blade.
- User sets a schedule and cannot opt out
- If you set your lab to this policy, lab users will be able to override the lab schedule, however they will not be allowed to opt out of it. This option will make sure every machine in your lab is under an auto shutdown schedule. Lab users will be able to update their virtual machine auto shutdown schedule and set up shut down notifications.
- User has no control over the schedule set by lab admin
- If you set your lab to this policy, lab users will not be able to override or opt out of the lab schedule. This option will offer lab admin complete control on the lab schedule for every machine in the lab. Lab users will only be able to set up auto shutdown notifications on their virtual machine auto shutdown schedule blade.
We hope you find this feature useful!
Try it today and let us know what you think about it!
Got an idea to make it work better for you? Submit your feedback/ideas or vote for others at Azure DevTest Labs User Voice forum.
Have a question? Check out the answers or ask a new one at MSDN forum.