Let’s get this clear, compiler nerds are often viewed as the rock stars of the computer science world.
The article: Create a Language Compiler for the .NET Framework shows you how to build a simple compiler and gives you the working code!
- Modifications of this article by students is a great way to demonstrate the modern use of “Use” built compilers.
- You could use this to better understand how a compiler functions, modify it for use in a school project (make sure to use the proper references in your project)
- If you are exploring .NET for the first time or looking for a good hobby, a compiler is one way to customize a solution for a customer.
Key points in the article and code:
- How to write a language definition, this can be helpful if you are reading the HTML 5 specification for the first time
- Compiler architecture
- What is a scanner, parser and how to target the .NET Framework
- A solid discussion about the IL