How to use your Dash as a Modem

Using Internet Sharing

With Internet Sharing, you can use your phone as an external modem for another device such as a PDA or notebook computer.

Notes:

1. • If you want to use a USB cable connection, you must first install Microsoft ActiveSync version 4.2 or later on the computer.

2. • Before using Internet Sharing, disable ActiveSync on your computer. To disable ActiveSync, open ActiveSync then select File > Connection Settings and clear Allow USB Connections.

Set up the phone as a modem

To set up the phone as a USB modem

1. On your phone, select Start > Accessories > Internet Sharing.

2. In the PC Connection list, select USB.

3. In the Network Connection list, select the name of connection that your phone uses to connect to the Internet.

4. Plug in the USB cable between your phone and the computer.

5. Select Connect.

To end the Internet connection

1. On the Internet Sharing screen, select Disconnect.

Use the phone as a Bluetooth modem

You can connect your phone to a notebook or desktop computer through Bluetooth and use the phone as a modem for the computer.

For the computer to use the Internet connection of your phone, activate Internet Sharing on your phone, then set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) between the computer and your phone.

1. On your phone, turn on Bluetooth and set it to Visible mode.

2. Initiate a Bluetooth partnership from your phone by following the steps in “To create a Bluetooth partnership.”

Alternatively, you can initiate a Bluetooth partnership from the computer by following these steps (based on Windows XP SP2):

a. In the Control Panel or System Tray, double-click the Bluetooth Devices icon.

b. In the Bluetooth Devices window, click Add.

c. The Add Bluetooth Device Wizard opens. Select the My device is set up and ready to be found check box, then click Next.

d. The wizard then detects your phone and displays its name in the dialog box. Select the phone name, then click Next.

e. Select Let me choose my own passkey, then enter a passkey (1 up to 16 digits) that will serve as an identification number for establishing a secure connection between your phone and the computer. Click Next.

f. A confirmation message appears on your phone. Click Yes to accept the connection, enter the same passcode, then click Next.

g. On the computer, click Finish to exit the wizard.

h. On your phone’s Partnership Settings screen, you can change the display name for the computer, then click Finish.

3. Now, open the Internet Sharing program on your phone. Select Start

> Accessories > Internet Sharing.

4. Select Bluetooth PAN as the PC Connection.

5. From the Network Connection list, select the name of the connection that your phone uses to connect to the Internet.

6. Select Connect.

7. On your computer, set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) with your phone:

a. Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections.

b. Under Personal Area Network, click the Bluetooth Network Connection icon.

c. Under Network Tasks, click View Bluetooth network devices.

d. In the Bluetooth Personal Area Network Devices dialog box, select your phone, then click Connect.

8. On the Internet Sharing screen on your phone, check if a connected status is displayed, which indicates that your computer has been successfully connected to the Internet using your phone as a Bluetooth modem

1. Josh Maher says:

Great post, thanks for the information!!

2. Steve says:

Nice summary–many thanks!

Is there any way to run BOTH ActiveSync and ICS simultaneously?  I need to have both running in order to update various medical software (e.g. MercK Medicus).  I used to be able to do it running XPSP2 on my laptop and WM5 on my PDA with Bluetooth DUN and ActiveSync–but since I upgraded to WM6 I cannot get ActiveSync to run while ICS is running.

3. shl says:

you are a god send … i’ve been trying to figure this out forever

4. v-chtown says:

But the real question is, How to do this under VISTA ? 🙂

5. GerardoDada says:

1. ReadyBoost – if you upgraded to Vista, you can add a USB flashdrive or an SD Card to speed up your

6. Louis says:

Hello does anyone know how to share a modem connection from the dash to a PDA(Advantage 7550)on a Bluetooth pairing.

7. Clymmer says:

Thanks for the clear instructions!   These worked like charm.

Albeit a dismally-slow-24Kbps-84Kbps-internet-connection charm, but a charm nonetheless. 😉  In a pinch, this’ll do!

C.

8. jess says:

Did anyone figure out how to use the Dash’s internet sharing on Vista?

9. bulletbikeguy says:

well I may not have solved anything new but I got my Dash’s proxy internet sharing connection to work with my Vista finally!  Read here http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1239450

Hope it works for you guys, add a comment and let me know how it turns out!

10. kevin says:

Hey, kinda working, kinda not.  i can’t connect to the device because i don’t know my phone’s bluetooth security code.  where the heck do i find this on the dash?

11. Ben says:

Yeah again thanks!  I’ve been trying to figure it out for awhile.

12. fred b. says:

worked perfect! I only set up the usb, but as quick as I got set up with your clear instructions I am sure I will get the wireless up as well! Thanks…

13. Lawrence says:

Does anyone know how to internet share between 2 Dash’s (mine and my wife’s)? I have a data plan – her’s does not. I called T-Mobile and they instructed me to go though what appears is the same way to hook up to a PC via Bluetooth – but can’t seem to get her’s to work.

14. kevin says:

i was wondering what if it says "check your usb cable" because i still cant connect to the internet for some reason through the computer

15. dave says:

worked great! Much easier than the other articles I read while searching on Google for "dash usb modem." Thanks!

16. Lauren says:

I can get the connection working but can’t send email through Outlook on my computer when using the Dash as a modem (though I can receive them).  Any thoughts?