My old team is having a developer dinner tomorrow night titled Developing SharePoint 2010 Solutions Using External Data and Services. See here for more details at http://bit.ly/kPUq5n.
What you will learn
SharePoint 2010 allows developers to work with both internal and external data using Business Connectivity Services (BCS), Excel Services, Access Services and custom WCF services. During the presentation we will discuss and demonstrate several common usage scenarios.
- Bringing SQL Server data to SharePoint using BCS
- Sharing Excel Data using PowerPivot for SharePoint
- Publishing Access Database applications to SharePoint
- Sharing secure data using BCS and the secure store service
- Creating Silverlight Using WCF RIA services for SharePoint