Interesting new tool for Windows Phone developers is now in beta. Meet App Studio for Windows Phone.
App Studio guides you through building an app consuming various data sources.
Outputs will include a .xap ready to be sideloaded enterprise style via a supplied certificate, as well as source code for the application.
Note this tool is browser driven – no Windows 8 machine required – if you’re not going to modify the source code that is. There are plans on the way for more goodies, so keep posted.
This is similar to appmakr or followmyfeed with a few very key differences. The 3rd party rapid app dev / prototyping tools for generating apps generally dont’t give you source code, charging for various aspects of their platform. Nor are the 3rd party tools offered and supported by the OS vendor (Apple, Google, or Microsoft).
Interesting scenarios include :
- Aspiring devs – put their ideas into play, modify, extend
- Accomplished dev looking for a quick look-and-feel tool – whiteboard or coding with extension in mind
- “Family Apps” – app doesn’t have to be published to share it via certificate install path
- Enthusiast – develop own app, show to friends and such
If build some apps with this, let me know via a comment here.
- App Studio Link – http://apps.windowsstore.com/default.html ( note right now the url REQUIRES default.htm on it )
- App Studio Feedback – http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/216486
- Windows Phone Developer blog here – http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2013/08/06/making-it-easier-to-get-started-with-windows-phone-app-studio-beta-simplified-phone-registration-support-options-amp-more-payout-markets.aspx