Failed to check in resources into Dexterity DSCCS


Patrick Roth - Click for blog homepageThis happened to me again the other day - and it took me a few minutes to resolve (and re-solve!) it again.

To me that sounds like blog material.

I had just finished creating and testing my new Dexterity integrating application and needed to check it into source control.  As I've noted previously, we use Visual Source Safe for this but that wouldn't make a difference for the issue I ran into.

I chose to check in my dictionary - the process started and finished in a minute as it was a small customization.

The error report printed and to my surprise it listed two errors.

get_account.function

     Checking in

          Insufficient permissions to create filen

get_index.function

     Checking in

          Insufficient permissions to create filen

I checked my project in VSS and found all my other procedures/function and other items checked in just fine.  I did NOT find a get_account or get_index function checked in or out in that project.  They did not exist.  Also, how could I get an "Insufficient permissions" error when everything else checked into VSS correctly?  And just what the heck is a "filen" anyway?

So what else would I need permissions on?

The only thing I could think of was the temp folder specified in the Dexterity | Options | Source Control tab.  But that doesn't seem right.  If it was a permissions issue on the folder itself, why did the other stuff check in OK?

When I opened the temp folder to take a look, I found the source of the problem.

The files get_account.function and get_index.function both already exist in my temp folder and they were marked read-only. 

Things are clearing up now.  Dexterity is exporting the items to the temp folder.  These items previously existed in the temp folder and set to read-only and so therefore the write operation from Dexterity failed.  This was interpreted as a permissions error and the check-in failed.  Not sure why they were there but I think I had opened the files in Visual SourceSafe Explorer which must have copied them into my user temp folder and marked them read-only.

After deleting the 2 stray files, the last two functions were checked in successfully.

So what about the "filen" message?  Honestly I had always assumed that the message was just truncated on the report.  But after looking at the Dex.dic, this is message 406 and that is the full message.  So given the problem and solution, I think the last part of the message is just a typo.  "filen" should be just "file".  And now it is more clear that that I didn't have permissions to create a file which makes much more sense in the end.

Best Regards,
Patrick Roth

Comments (3)

  1. David Musgrave says:

    Posting from Mark Polino at DynamicAccounting.net

    msdynamicsgp.blogspot.com/…/failed-to-check-in-resources-into.html

  2. Kimberley says:

    I'm getting the message "Insufficient permissions to create filen" when trying to export a customized check report from Dynamics GP 9.0.  Report Writer Customizations are about the extent of the customizations that I do at this point (and all that is available for this particular implementation), and I don't even know where to start looking for the temp file that you mentioned above.  Can you help?

    Thanks!

  3. Patrick Roth says:

    Kimberly,

    I can't say that I've ever heard of someone getting this error when trying to export a package from the GP UI.  But it seems likely that it is the same type of issue.

    The easiest solution would be to run a Process Monitor trace of Dynamics.exe as you do this export.

    Get logged in, select you package etc.

    Then enable the Process Monitor trace (download from http://www.microsoft.com/sysinternals) and start it.

    Now press the Export button in GP and wait until you get the error.

    DIsable the trace.

    Review the trace – there will be a lot of it I assume.

    Somewhere there will be a Permissions error and it will give you the file & folder name of the issue.

    Fix the permissions error.  Or like in my case, I deleted the old file that was read-only that couldn't be overwritten and problem solved.

Skip to main content