Fix: Windows Phone 7.5 & Facebook Password update “0x83cf1202”

Recently one of my customer changed his Facebook password via laptop. Later when he tried connecting via my Windows Phone/Facebook chat, it requested him to update the password. Unfortunately, he opted to delete the Facebook account, but it failed. After this, he can’t update his password. Doing so (Settings > Email+accounts > Facebook), it throws “Attention required – can’t delete Facebook” and error code “0x83cf1202”.

Tried the following steps, which helped him to fix the issue:

1. Disconnect all devices/desktop apps and login with browser
2. Delete Facebook account (connected with Hotmail account) using the browser
3. Boot the phone
4. In Phone, Sync the Hotmail account. At end of this, delete the Facebook account
5. Now you can connect the Facebook account using Settings > Email+accounts > Facebook in the phone.

Note: Prior to that I learnt that he is connected with messenger desktop app browser, Windows Phone to the Hotmail account. Also the Facebook updates, notifications, still seem to work, but only chat doesn’t Smile

1. SRM says:

Viola – it helped me to move ahead!!

2. FocusDave says:

Thanks Dave for the great post – you fixed my prolonging Facebook issue/illness. BTW, it's an awesome O/S. I switched from a iPhone 3G to it. Had it since day one in the UK. Been through 3 different phones, HD7, Omnia 7 and now my imported Focus S. Wife has a Lumia 800 I love the looks of that. For me, it's not a phone, it's art carved by Microsoft. But i wish it need to have more applications which connects people 🙂

3. jen says:

iv done this with no help. but i have the problem of my facebook wont sync or delete

4. Deva [MSFT] says:

-> First you need to login to the Hotmail/Live account which you connected with Facebook using your PC/Laptop. Make sure you remove the services connected to Facebook as given below.

* At the top of the Hotmail window, point to Messenger and then click Profile.

* In the left pane, under the “Connect To” section, click on Connect, and then select Facebook.

* UnCheck/tick the option of Chat with my Facebook friends in Messenger under “Share on Windows Live” section (if it's already connected to Facebook)

-> Once you're done with the above steps, now follow the steps from # 3.

Hope it works for you!!

5. Jim says:

I faced the problem with my Samsung Focus. I followed the exact steps given below(@jen), it works for me. Now i can reconnect the Facebook account and can chat too. Kudos & thanks for the assistance.

6. Jason says:

Thanks this helped a lot

7. Ben says:

Thanks Bro. It helped me to move ahead with my HTC Radar.

8. B says:

Thanks a lot I've had this problem for about a week and couldnt figure it out. Problem solved! Appreciate it.

9. Blake says:

10. Yash says:

Does this fix the Facebook chat issue?

11. Daniel @warmth Delgado says:

This doesn't work if the password is really long 🙁 Facebook accept 255 chars while Windows Live only 16 chars!

12. Jonny says:

dude, you are the man!

the man indeed. fixed my prob. you da man bro, da man!

13. Laurie says:

This is NOT working for me. I hate this stupid phone. Can you please explain to me step by step for dummies because clearly I am missing something.

14. Vencedorfaria says:

the mobile is HTC, and the operating System is Windows phone Mobile

Does not run.

do you have one a idea for this problem ?

15. nadia says:

my fb has posts at the top of my chat where u talk to people

Comments are closed.