Recently I tried to install Zune Software in my PC, encountered installation failed with the error code: 0x80070643 and message “Setup must stop because the required package ‘Zune"’ didn’t install.
Done research and found the following Microsoft support knowledge base article – states that “A required component cannot be installed when you try to install the Zune software”. This issue may occur when software updates that are required by the Zune software are not available when you try to install the Zune software. The following required updates are available from the Microsoft Update website:
- The .NET Framework 2.0
- Microsoft Error Reporting
- Windows Format SDK
To obtain all required updates in one package, follow these steps:
- Verify that you have administrative rights to install software.
- Make sure that you have sufficient free space to install the Zune software. For more information about system requirements for Zune, visit the following website: http://www.zune.net/products/software/minsystemreqs.htm
- Click the Download button on the following page to install the update package: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=104738
- In the dialog box that appears, click Run to start the installation process.
- The installation should start automatically. If you are prompted, type the name of the folder where the files will be extracted.
- When the files are copied to the folder, open the folder, and then double-click Startzune.exe to install the Zune software.
This resolved the issue. Based on the above support KB, you may also receive one of these error messages when trying to install the following products:
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- Microsoft Windows Media Format 11 runtime
- Microsoft Error Reporting 2.0
Additionally, the installation cannot continue.