Now, you can download Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 which provides the latest updates to the 2007 Office Suite.
It consists of,
- Previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack.
- In addition to general product fixes, this includes improvements in stability, performance, and security.
- You can find out more information in Knowledge Base Article 953195, where product-specific changes are described.
- All of the Public Updates, Security Updates, Cumulative Updates, and Hotfixes released through February 2009.
NOTE: Before installing this service pack, you are strongly encouraged to read 953195, which describes some big improvements introduced by SP2, and also calls out some important information that you should be aware of before installing.
With respect to Outlook 2007...
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a user-focused
update that contains significant improvements in performance and in
calendar reliability. Also you can hear more from Janes Liles, Group Program Manager talks about the enhancements about the Service Pack 2 in the Microsoft Presspass. Per her words, "...Outlook 2007 SP2 is 26 percent faster than its predecessor on a set of common
e-mail tasks and is even faster, 35 percent, with larger mailboxes. Users will
experience considerable responsiveness and speed improvements on common,
day-to-day operations like launching, synchronizing and searching..."
With regards to Outlook 2007, some of the improvements were:
- Performance improvements that apply to the following general responsiveness areas:
- Startup: Removes lengthy operations from initial startup.
- Shutdown: Makes Outlook exit predictably despite pending activities.
- Folder View and Switch: Improves view rendering and folder switching.
- Calendar improvements: Improves underlying data structures and the general reliability of calendar updates.
- Data file checks: Greatly reduces the number of scenarios in which you receive the following error message when you start Outlook:
The data file 'file name' was not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems.
- Search reliability: Improves search reliability when you use SP2 with Windows Desktop Search 4 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx) .
- Improvements to Really Simple Syndication (RSS): There are now fewer duplicated items.
- Object Model improvements: Now contains many customer-driven fixes.
With respect to KB's (1) (2), towards Outlook Service Pack we have some related details regarding the known issues and behavior changes (please refer the (1) (2) "Known issues" and "Behavior ChangesP sections. Some of them were,
- In Outlook, assume that a meeting organizer sends a
meeting request to an attendee by using a POP account. Then, the attendee
responds to the meeting request and types a message in the response. In this
situation, the organizer receive the response, but the message contents may be
- 968773 When Outlook 2007 is running in Cached mode, users do not see some new e-mail messages.
- The .cnt, .osd, .vbp, and .hpj file attachments were added to
the Outlook blocked extension list. For more information, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:Outlook's previously blocked extensions
- Items in the mail message list shift temporarily while you are running an All Mail Item search in Online Mode.
When you use Outlook 2007 SP2 together with Outlook Live Connector
12.1, duplicate entries occur in the Calendar and in Contacts. This is
true unless all clients that are connected to the account are upgraded
For a detailed information with respect to Outlook 2007 Improvements (Performance, Calendar and General), reliability and Time Zone related info, please refer the following support KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968774/
Please note: This Service pack will also update the following products:
Hope this helps.