What is CDO for Workflow?
CDO for Workflow (CDOWF) is built-in functionality provided with Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server. By using CDOWF, which is driven by the Exchange store event architecture, you can design workflow applications without having to write the fundamental code that accesses, modifies, and controls data. CDOWF includes a workflow engine, modeling tools, and an event sink.
Applications that use CDOWF are stored on the Exchange server. Direct access to that server, however, is not required. The Workflow Designer can be used to deploy workflow applications remotely on an Exchange server, with the requirement that the user have sufficient permissions to access the mailboxes where the application is to be installed.
Support for Workflow?
Per the article, if you have developed applications by using the Workflow Designer for Exchange 2000 Server, and you require a copy of the Workflow Designer installation package, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Services. The Workflow Designer for Exchange 2000 Server will be supported while Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 support is available.
Note: CDOWF does not ship in and is not supported for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.
Where can i get more documentation on this?
Note: The Workflow Designer for Exchange 2000 Server is no longer available for download. The download file that is available here includes only a Readme file, and does not include the Workflow Designer
Earlier it’s shipped with Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003. CDOWF does not ship with and is not supported for Exchange 2007. CDOWF is expected to be enhanced or replaced in a future version of Exchange. So we need to consider using Microsoft BizTalk for more complicated, inter-organizational, and non-messaging related workflow process implementations.
Future of Exchange Workflow…
Microsoft recommends that you migrate applications that use Exchange Workflow and the Collaborative Data Objects for Exchange Workflow (CDOWF) to use the Windows Workflow Foundation. It is used to create applications that use workflow and orchestration. The programming model is more up-to-date, and the technology is part of the Windows platform. CDOWF can’t be used in managed code, but as you’d expect, Windows Workflow Foundation can.
then, what is Windows Workflow Foundation?
Windows Workflow Foundationsupplies the programming model, engine, and tools required to quickly build workflow-enabled applications on Microsoft Windows.
- It consists of a namespace, an in-process workflow engine, and designers for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
- Applications that use Windows Workflow Foundation can be developed and run on Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, and the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family.
- Windows Workflow Foundation includes support for both system workflow and human workflow across a variety of scenarios, including workflow within line-of-business applications, user interface page flow, document-centric workflow, human workflow, composite workflow for service-oriented applications, business rule–driven workflow, and workflow for systems management.
Where can i get more information on this…
- WF Documentation
- Documentation Tutorials
- Documentation Code Samples
- Documentation Technology Samples