I have seen a few people comment about connecting to SharePoint notebooks in OneNote for iPad & iPhone (iOS). The app fully supports on-prem SharePoint 2010 & higher, Office 365 notebooks and SkyDrive Pro notebooks and I wanted to spend sometime explaining how you can get those notebooks open in OneNote. Now you need to make sure that you have a connection to your server and for on-prem that means you would need to VPN first. Additionally if you have some complex form of auth on your server then this might not work with the mobile client put in a comment below if you are facing issues!
OneNote hyperlinks – just click on the link
People often will send links to notebooks & content in notebook with a OneNote hyperlink (onenote:) which will call OneNote and then it will open your notebook. This is how you do this:
- Go to OneNote
- Right-click on the notebook and choose copy hyperlink to this notebook
- Paste this into an email to yourself or paste it into a notebook which you have open in OneNote on your device
- Go to your device to where you had that hyperlink
- Tap on the hyperlink (make sure it isn’t the web link)
- OneNote will open and then maybe ask you for a password
- Notebook should open just fine
This is the preferred way and I think the easiest so if you can send yourself a hyperlink I highly suggest that you do this.
iPad: Opening from OneNote
If you are running OneNote on and iPad you can also open a notebook directly from SharePoint by adding your SharePoint to OneNote, just follow these steps:
- Open OneNote
- Tap on the back arrow in the top left
- Tap on Open
- Tap on Add a Place
- Then choose SharePoint URL and type the name of your SharePoint site and subsite if you know it.
- Enter your username & password
- Then your SharePoint sites will show up under a SharePoint place, and then you can navigate through the site to find your notebook
Opening from Office Mobile for iPhone
If you are on an iPhone and an Office 365 subscriber you can navigate to your SharePoint site from there and tap on a notebook to launch OneNote.
Opening directly from SharePoint/Office 365
If you are running SharePoint 2013 or higher you can navigate to the SharePoint site in the browser and from the mobile site you can directly click on the notebook and it will launch OneNote.
If you are on an iPad you can go into the OneNote Web App and click on "Open in OneNote" and it will launch OneNote, note that this requires the most recent version of the web apps and I believe this is only available on Office 365 at the current time.
If you are on SharePoint 2010 you would not be able to do this : (