Sending Feedback about OneNote 2013

It’s been a few days since the Customer Preview was released, and we’d like to thank all our users who downloaded and tried OneNote 2013. If you haven’t downloaded the 2013 Preview already, you can get it here today.

We’d also like to ask you to to send us feedback about OneNote whenever you find something that you like, dislike or want. You can always post in the comments below, or use one of these alternatives:

Send a Smile

You can click on the smiley icon in the top right corner of OneNote 2013 to send feedback. If you’re using the Windows 8 style app, swipe up from the bottom to get to the feedback button.

Send us smiles about features that you like or frowns about things that you don’t like – our team looks at the feedback quite regularly, and it’s super helpful to learn about what you find delightful or annoying.

Microsoft Answers

For more detailed questions or issues, reach us through the OneNote forum on Microsoft Answers. Some of our team members check the site regularly and help users with issues, as do many of our MVP’s and helpful community members.

Known issues with OneNote 2013 Preview

We wanted to send a link to the known issues for Office 2013 Customer Preview, you can check there for known issues, but of course we look forward to your feedback!

Thank you again for installing the Customer Preview! Stay tuned to the blog, starting next week we will go in-depth into some of the new features that we’ve added.

1. Mary Branscombe says:

Generally very pleased but

– sorry to see Autocorrect buried even further in the interface (I'm the 0.02% using it)

– disappointed at the choice not to support notebooks on file shares in OneNote for Windows 8. I'm not sure I want my 2gb notebook on SkyDrive. Also no audio recording?

– love the radial menu, would like this as an option in desktop OneNote (as that has the audio recording and file share support I need on my tablet)

2. Only three things that might prompt me to upgrade... says:

Does it search the text in embedded files, or are those still hidden from the indexer?

Will it handle relative paths in links to files?

What does it do when a linked file gets moved? Can it find it based on the search index? Or is the link just broken and that's it.

(I know, probably not the best forum for suggestions, but that's all the work I'm gonna put into it. Sorry.)

3. Feng says:

I can not input Chinese in the search box of Onenote 2013. No problem of inputing English. No problem of pasting Chinese either.

4. Feng says:

Even worse thing is that my Chinese notes get strange charater display after a while. I wish it could be encoding problem, but I couldn't find a place to change the encoding. I wish onenote didn't just distroy all my chinese notes.

5. varunsrin says:

@Feng: Thanks for reporting this. We're aware of this bug and are working to resolve the issue.

Don't worry your notes are still there, we are just not rendering the Chinese characters correctly. For now, you can work around this by closing and restarting OneNote.

6. Ricardo Castro says:

Styles shortcuts dont work in the preview only way to use them is to directly clic into the desired style which is actually a real problem for those who use this soft a lot…

7. Tony says:

I was hoping to see OLE for Word which would really be awesome.

8. Dominika says:

Hi, I can't find  "send to onenote" feature within printers. How can I now link the email or pdf file to my notebook?

9. ellison says:

in ON 2013 preview, it seems a bug.

the Zoom in/out only for current page, if you move to another page, the zoom level back to 100%.

but in ON 2010, if you set zoom level to 150%, it is same for all pages, you don't need to set it for EVERY PAGE.

10. varunsrin says:

@ellison: Thanks for the report – this should be fixed up in the RTM version of Office

11. gfn says:

Onenote 2013 does not render ink in onenote 2010 notes correctly,

The highlighters do not show up correctly in particular, and blocks the ink that is highlighted

12. gfn says:

Onenote 2013 on win 8 enterprise has a big bug, I cannot open "rest of the sections", even after removing office 2013 and reinstalling it.

13. varunsrin says:

@gfn: Sorry to hear you are having issues, could you provide more details about the issue? Specifically what steps you were taking when it occurred.

14. Joakim Westin says:

I'm generally a very pleased user of OneNote. Both the 2013 and the Windows 8 version.

There is one thing that really annoys me, and it is probaly not so hard to fix.

I keep all my OneNotebooks on my SkyDrive. For some reason OneNote defaults to put them in a folder named "Dokument". This is probably beacuse I use Swedish locale settings (but the UI is in US English)

This becomes frustrating because I keep all of my documents oin the folder named "Documents" (the English spelling) and not in the "Dokument" (Swedish spelling) folder.

Please let me choose on which folder I keep my OneNote notebooks.

15. brice says:

I use OneNote 2013 for 2 weeks in classroom. I'm a french match teacher.

I encounter problem when using some drawing stuff, so the soft shut down and restart couple of times. It's a big problem for me as I'm using it in front of 30 teenagers  … Is it because of a 60 days trial version ? Beta version ?

Thanks for your answers.

16. Terrance Wickman says:

font color under general onenote options always displays a black color no matter which color is chosen. Using version: 15.0.4481.150 ; when typing, the color is fine as selected, it just displays incorrectly in the options menu

17. will says:

It is with sadness that i have thrown in the towel on one note and converted to evernote.  It is just too hard to get people onto onenote.  My colleague and i spent 3 hours trying to get his onenote to link to my onenote.  Both of us are running windows7.  Very unfortunate.  After researching, I was certain that onenote was better than evernote and likely much more secure.  I am so disappointed because I really want to use this and as a shareholder of MSFT i want it to work.  This is almost as bad as the mess that MSFT has made of skype.  Try to make it simple….

18. The search function can't find basic text says:

I look for a particular word (text, not image) and the search results show the wrong page. I can manually find the page with that text (so I know the text actually exists on one page somewhere)

And, yes – I am searching "all notebooks".

Is this because I moved tabs and content around?

How do I force a re-index?

Using OneNote 2013 on Windows 8.

Upgraded from OneNote 2007.

19. Reiner says:

Why is the fuction "Create appointment from OneNote" (like in OneNote207) removed in OneNote2013. I need this for my daily work, and i'm a little bit angry.

20. Gopi Vydya says:

One feature of onenote which spellbound me is without changing focus to pdf reader i can move the cursor over to the reader's window and scroll down or up and if i type something it goes into one note. It's really helpful in taking notes while reading. Thank YOU 😀

21. RobK858 says:

Hi! Not sure if you are still reading comments here or not … hope you are.

I've been using OneNote for many years now. Love it.

I noticed in 2013 that how TAGS work have changed slightly and not in a good way.

Use Case.

1. I'm creating a list of items

2. I add a tag to the last item on the list

3. I want to add a new item to the list, so I go to the end of the last item and hit RETURN

4. The new line has the sames tags as the last line above it

For how I work, this is a highly annoying. I don't want the new line to have a tag until I add a tag.

Is there a way to make this "auto tag" not happen?

22. KWCDN says:

Try immediately pressing "enter" a second time -double tap to kill auto tags.  For me this clears the "auto tagging".

23. @RobK858 – There is no way to turn this off and it is only for todo lists, most customers have liked it.  You can hit backspace or enter to clear this out.  Thanks for the feedback!

24. Debbie says:

I can't drag and drop a link to a FOLDER in OneNote 2013.  It looks like it will do it but after you drag it, the link to the folder doesn't drop into OneNote.

25. Alan Curley says:

Really like using oneNote.

The whole concept appeals to me however, I think the drawing tools leave a lot to be desired.  If the drawing tools from excel could be used to draw notes in onenote, this would be excellent.

26. X.Arthur says:

Hi, is there a size limit of webpage that onenote can clip?…/Microplexes

When using the clipper, I can only clip less than half of this webpage.

Also, is there a plan to make the clipper more functional, (i.e. like the evernote one)?

27. srenno says:

Thanks for your multi-plateform software !

When we adding text with a keyboard it's not ergonomic to format text (bullet, underline… ) with toolbar whitch is at the top of screen.

I think, it will be better to place the toolbar at the bottom of screen when we have a keyboard connected.

28. ej hunter says:

i have been doing the syncing through OneDrive so i can access my notes on 3 different PCs.  this is a great feature.

however, after sync, all of the tabs, folders, and pages are in the full expanded presentation.  i have so many that this is painful.  i would be much more useful to have them not expanded.  better yet, only expand those notes updated since it would imply that those would be the ones most recently worked on somewhere else.

29. Zigmas Bigelis says:

You have replied to my some info on my twitter @zigmasb16 and have proposed to send my proposals to OneNote. But I'm using OneNote 2010 and I did not found how to send using click on the right upper corner. How can I contact you? Best wishes

30. L Phillips says:

Hello, I have a feature (kneel and beg them) request for OneNote! I love my OneNote – use it almost everyday. There are only a couple of things that irk me about it and this is the one that would make life SO much better:

In this day and age of learning so much online with videos and webinars, I take notes on them ALL the time – lots of notes; and use the clipper to paste screenshots of instructions, etc, into my notes. Many times there are several steps of instruction requiring several small clippings and I don't understand WHY I cannot paste them sequentially into a line with a few spaces between them like I can do so easily in MS Word? This is very wasteful of space in that printing a page of instructions has to be in l o n g  columns rather than spanning across the page and making the document half the number of pages when printing. Please please please – give us this simple functionality like we already have in Word. *Moving pasted clippings around and then making another clipping of ones placed adjacent is not a good option when you have about 20-30 images per page. Why should spend hours do that when MS has the technology already to make the better option possible – This is my OneNote big wish. Thank you for considering.

31. Hasan says:

I wish if it was possible to share just one page instead of having to share the whole notebook

32. BabyblueDragonfly says:

Can yall come up wid OneNote Planner  online…its gett too much carryin a pocket planner esp if you're college students

33. bmarquart says:

It would be nice to have buttons to expand/collapse all the main section groups in the notebook pane with one click. One for each notebook open in the pane. I like keeping my work notebook open to the main section groups, but when drilling down through some of the sections, I have to go back and collapse each one separately to keep it neat and clean for finding what I'm looking for quickly.

34. Robin Bushell says:

Please fix the bug with the "Insert long printouts on multiple pages" option. It does not work with current OneNote. However, a fresh install of OneNote 2013 with no updates applied works fine.

35. spartanhooah says:

When entering an equation and I choose something from the design bar (e.g. a super- or sub-script or a large operator), it would be great if the cursor got moved inside of the left-most box so I could start typing right away, rather than having to first move the cursor. In the included image, I'd like the cursor to start where the arrow is pointing, instead of where it is.

36. Emmanuel Philipon says:

The search engine in OneNote is really poor. It won't match substring if the substring is not the beginning of the original string. Doesn't seem to be any wildcard either. It would be awesome if there was a google like search engine on OneNote.

37. Dave Taylor says:

OneNote 2013 will not allow me to open a link created to file in 2010. 1st I get a warning message saying that the hyperlink may be unsafe. When I click continue I get an error message, "the converter failed to save the file." The pop up box says "save as."

I have done extensive linking to files, not copy, but a link so that I can open them up and edit them. Not being able to open links in 2013 makes this version useless to me.

Please let us know when this will be fixed.

38. Equation editor in OneNote ONLINE says:

Equations inserted using the equation editor in OneNote 2013 desktop version appear in the online version as empty boxes. It certainly would be nice if they were view able online.

39. Dave Taylor says:

Still not ready for prime time.

The linking of files, in particular spreadsheets, does not work.  I can create a link but I cannot open them in 2013.  2010 works fine as it always did.

This is a feature I use "all of the time!"

I use a linking feature to open file, make edits to it, and then resave it.  OneNote makes it quite easy to create a tag to a file instead of me trying to remember what directory and folder I put it in.

40. moker says:

I Need To Use Relative HyperLink In Onenote but it does not this functionality

Please Resolve This Problem

41. Joel says:

It would be great to be able to turn on Overtype Mode functionality in OneNote.