OneNote 2013 Preview is now available

OneNote 2013 was announced earlier today as part of the Office Customer Preview , and we’re really excited to show you what the team has been working on for the last two years. Over the next few weeks, Engineering OneNote will explore each of the changes we’ve made in detail, but for now you can check out What’s New in OneNote 2013

Try OneNote 2013 today

We’d love to hear what you think of the new OneNote, so please let us know in the comments below.

1. Maciej Aniserowicz says:

I would love to see a full "bloggin" support in OneNote, to the extent available in Windows Live Writer. Current support (blogging via Word) loses with WLW in every possible way.

2. Doug Monroe says:

OneNote 2013 like 2007 and 2010 does not seem to allow you to group objects.  When will this functionality be available?

3. Peter Knight says:

Will it be possible to build apps/web extensions for Onenote, it doesn't seem to right now? That would be an incredible missed opportunity.

4. Stew says:

I would love to try out the new OneNote but am not interested in downloading the entire suite.  Not to be whiny but the "What's New" didn't seem to describe many new features.  There just wasn't enough depth to it.  Unless I missed something, "On Your Devices" doesn't say anything that the 2010 version does now – SharePoint and SkyDrive. "Search" doesn't sound any different either.

I'm sure there's more new stuff, but that page doesn't offer much.  The embedding/linking live files looks cool, as does tables enhancements.  But we were hoping for more.

5. varunsrin says:

@Maciej, Doug: thanks for your feedback. We don't have anything new to announce regarding blog support or object grouping, but I will pass it on to the team.

@Peter: You can  build native extensions for OneNote 2013 using COM, just like you could for 2010. We do not currently support web extensions in 2013.

@Stew: Thanks for the feedback – stay tuned to this blog, we'll be exploring our new changes in more detail here.

6. Jim says:

I use One Note religiously but some sort of grouping feature is definitely long overdue. Fixing misalignments is an annoying time waster when annotating or trying to add new content.

7. alphaOri says:

Here are my notes over the past few months on what I was hoping to find in OneNote 2013 and what I did find.

• What improvements will Onenote 2013 have?

• Picture editing tools

○ No image editing tools like in powerpoint or word.

• Object grouping

○ No object grouping.

• Will there be spreadsheet type functionality for tables?

○ A: Embedded Excel and Visio sheets! Can turn a table into an                excel sheet.

§ Can edit spreadsheet within OneNote?

□ A: Editing will open the table in Excel.  Very seamless.

• Better/Quicker Syncing (auto sync for any change) more like Google docs.

○ A: Faster syncing, still no real-time collaboration

• It might be cool to be able to show webpages in OneNote (i.e. maps, google docs, etc.)

○ Nope, can't embed webpages.  Can only add URLs.

• Better at selecting groups of ink, even if its placed over text.  Add shift select feature to add elements to selection.

○ A: No shift select yet… 🙁

• Better copy/pasting of mixed objects (i.e. images and ink)

○ A: Yay! The copy/paste works now.

• Regressions in ON2013

• No pressure sensitivity disabling!  Makes my handwriting looks messy and takes up more screen space as well as more disk space.  Also makes ink stream feel fat.

8. varunsrin says:

@alphaOri: Thanks for your detailed notes on what you liked/didn't like in the 2013 preview – i'll pass this along to the rest of the team.

9. chris phoon says:

grouping objects! such a pain having to realign things all the time.  this has been a common complaint on message boards for a long time.  jope thenopportunity is not lost in 2013

10. SoriceConsulting says:

Please, please, PLEASE add the ability to GROUP OBJECTS! It can be done in Word, Publisher, etc. and the lack of grouping in OneNote CRIPPLES the application. I can't tell you how many times I've taken screenshots, etc. and added arrows, etc. that I need to STAY TOGETHER! Why can't this OFTEN REQUESTED feature be included?

11. Theo says:

Another plea for GROUPING OBJECTS.

I love the outlining feature in OneNote. It's expandable/collapsible, it's rearrangeable– it's a student's best companion– if only the markups on figures can be integrated in this system…

12. David says:

Please add the ability to group objects.

13. Mike says:

One more vote for grouping objects. I know it doesn't help to ask please… but – Please?

14. Ko says:

agree with alphaOri

Steve, just discharge them all. What are they doing for 10 years?! and there still there no grouping…

15. Cary Davis says:

Love One Note, but adding Group Objects is a big one.

16. Pete Asprey says:

OneNote is my most used tool, right along with Excel and Word.  While it is superb, there are a few things that drive me nuts.  I use it together and preformat information as I work, then convert to a more formal publication in Word.  Here are two of my main wishes:

1.  It MUST have the ability to be accessible by VBA if it is to grow up and be part of systems we create.  Without VBA, there is no way to prepare a large notebook for customers based on interview inputs.

2.  Grouping of objects is essential.  I collect snipits and arrange them in appropriate fashion to be an image.  Then copy paste them into Word…which promptly loses all the nice formatting.  The ugly duckling workaround is to take a screen shot of OneNote's page and paste that into Word.  Works, but loses resolution.

If I had ONE IMPROVEMENT to request, it would be VBA support.  OneNote would become the center of my universe.

17. Jamil Haddadin says:

OneNote will be the golden app if Grouping can be added!

18. I would also really like to have grouping available in OneNote. I like to draw on my text, but if I move the text, the drawing does not move with it, which is a real pain.

19. Jem says:

Group objects. Group objects. Group objects. Group objects. GROUP OBJECTS!!!!!!!

The inability to do this actually ruins the applications. It really is that central to the way many of us use it.

20. Group OBJECTS! says:

SERIOUSLY.  The lack of the one feature ruins the whole program and turns it from something with true functionality to a revved up version of hypernap.

Group objects. group objects. group objects. Group objects. group objects. group objects.Group objects. group objects. group objects.Group objects. group objects. group objects.Group objects. group objects. group objects.Group objects. group objects. group objects.Group objects. group objects. group objects.

21. Andre Piper says:

I have only been working with OneNote for a couple of months now and I really love its capabilities. What I'd like to see is if you can export the contents to resemble and act like an actual book. The pages would flip and the tabs would act like chapters. This way you could send it out like a report that looks like a book. I know its a little far fetched but I thought I would add my comment.

22. otis says:

Maybe I am missing on something but it seems there is no way to mark chapters or pages as read-only.

That's a crucial ability to any teamworking tool…

23. Francois Tremblay says:

Hope this version will incorporate grouping objects functionnality… this is a MUST!

24. Michael says:

Grouping objects(so that they maintain their coordinated relative position) together… this should have been out in the first version of Onenote.

More than an irritant that it's still not available. Rather than moving ahead with taking notes and getting work done, I often find myself fixing misaligned text/drawings/images which just pulls me out of what I really want to do and into working around badly designed software/UI.

25. Alan says:

Please add grouping!  I will not use onenote until it has grouping ability.  Otherwise, my carefully added notes and highlights are useless.

26. grouping groupie says:

Seriously?  No grouping yet?  This can't be the first time the team has learned of this request.  I'm with Jamil who said "Onenote will be the golden app if Grouping can be added!".  It's a good app but I find I need 2 or 3 other programs open to take notes at my meetings because I have to switch between resources so that I can group objects for my notes. I am continually missing out on 1/2 of the conversation because I'm trying to make changes in other apps to account for the lack of this basic feature.