Send to OneNote Print Driver disappears after installing Sept update

We have gotten reports from some users that their Send to OneNote Print Driver disappeared after installing the September 2008 (9-Sept-2008) update.  We have been able to reproduce this ourselves and we have some guidance for you all:

If you haven’t installed the update yet

If you haven’t installed the security update please reboot your machine and then immediately install the update.  By doing this you should ensure that the print driver continues to stay on your system.

If you have already installed the update and your print driver is missing

If you are missing the print driver you should be able to restore it by running a repair of your Office installation.  You can do this on XP by going to Control Panel, choosing Add/Remove Programs and then find Microsoft Office, right-click on it and choose to Repair.  For Vista go to Programs & Features (from Start menu or Control Panel) and right-click on Microsoft Office and choose Repair.

If you have already installed the update and your print driver is NOT missing

You don’t need to do anything!

What caused this?

We found that the print driver will be removed if you have printed to OneNote during the same Windows session where you installed the update.  So if you printed to OneNote and then a day later, without rebooting, you installed the update then the print driver would be removed.  However if you haven’t printed to OneNote in awhile you can safely install the update without any problem, that is also why I recommend that you reboot before installing this update.

We apologise for this and we are looking into why this happened to ensure it doesn’t happen in the future.

1. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

2. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

3. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

4. Dear Daniel,

|| We have gotten reports from some

|| users that their Send to OneNote Print

|| Driver disappeared after installing

|| the September 2008 (9-Sept-2008) update.

Sorry, the problem of the "OneNote-printer lost" IMHO has hardly anything to do with the *update* you mention (the one of Sept. 09,2008).

Maybe some some *other* updates may be of influence. But the problem has been reported too often and for really too long a time to just been reduced to a *recent* update.

The issue has been a *PERSISTENT* problem since at least the Beta 2.

I have no idea on why you pick this issue just now.

If you’d take the time to go through the NGs postings on problems, you might easily detect that the "lost printer" problem is the true No. 1 problem (besides problems with storing files on Web-devices [which may have been cured with the said update]).

The problem has been around since ON 2007 exists.

So far no-one has been able to explain why this problem appears (it appears day by day).

And so far from the developers’ team there has not yet been a single workaround published.

In the ON NG this problem has been posted at least once a week, AFAICS.

There have been several workarounds posted by users (some confirmed to be working by some users, other users reporting not to have found any solution).

But You seem to make it too easy by just pointing to the latest update.

It’s not that easy.

Pls go back through what has been posted in the NG (if possible use the [ugly] web-interface because it holds a longer memory [the true/original NewsGroup view only foes back to mid June 2008).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for looking after the problem.

As said, it’s the No. 1 problem with the current version of ON.

Rainald

5. Anne Lindsay says:

Thanks, I got a message that Onenote program had changed since the last scan (I scan on reboots with Kapersky).  I hadn’t noteced that the driver was missing unitl I saw the rss feed.  Thanks for posting this fix I would have been very annoyed if the ON print driver went missing.  Perhaps some sort of security flag causes ON print Drv to be removed?

6. Peter Sanden says:

I had the same problem. In my case, I checked the control panel to find out if the ‘send to OneNote’ printer driver was still present, which it was indeed. Apparently that did the job: when I returned to Word, I could select ‘send to OneNote’ when trying to print. No idea, what may have caused this behaviour.

7. Mark Pettit says:

We have 1,050 high school students in our 1:1 tablet program.  As students, these users constantly use the Print to OneNote printer and we have been noticing this issue back to Office 2003.  We have not had success using the repair feature under the Programs control panel (I tried again after reading this blog), nor have we had success with any solution posted online.  The only way that the issue can be repaired is by uninstalling and re-installing MS Office.  I have tried for hours and hours to get this message to MS but I am not willing to pay for a support call to inform them of this issue.  Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

8. From: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.onenote/browse_thread/thread/58c3b6f451c79f97/3498b7069519c3b5?hl=en*&lnk=gst&q=patrick+schmid+onenote+2007+printer+not+found#3498b7069519c3b5

If it was on your machine and then disappeared, the

drivers are still there and you can just add the printer.

This has happened at the office on several computers. After

uninstalling and re-installing the entire office suite several different

times (which DOES NOT always work – by the way) I figured out how to

install the printer directly.

Add Printer – Local – Do not detect.

Use the following port: Send to Microsoft OneNote port.

Select a printer. I use Fujistsu Breeze 100. It shouldn’t make a

difference which printer you use. That just happened to be the one I

chose the first time I did it and so I have used it ever since.

Printer Name: Print to OneNote, of course.

Do not share, do not print a test page.

Finish.

Get properties on the printer and under Advanced click the drop down

and select the Send to Microsoft OneNote driver.

Also Under Advanced select Print Processor and choose the

OneNotePrint2007 and leave as RAW.

Under Ports make sure it’s set to the "Send to OneNote" port

Close all property windows and "voila!" you have a new Print to OneNote

Printer.

Kelvin Krastel

Not a OneNote MVP 😉

Kelvin

9. From: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.onenote/browse_thread/thread/58c3b6f451c79f97/3498b7069519c3b5?hl=en*&lnk=gst&q=patrick+schmid+onenote+2007+printer+not+found#3498b7069519c3b5

If it was on your machine and then disappeared, the

drivers are still there and you can just add the printer.

This has happened at the office on several computers. After

uninstalling and re-installing the entire office suite several different

times (which DOES NOT always work – by the way) I figured out how to

install the printer directly.

Add Printer – Local – Do not detect.

Use the following port: Send to Microsoft OneNote port.

Select a printer. I use Fujistsu Breeze 100. It shouldn’t make a

difference which printer you use. That just happened to be the one I

chose the first time I did it and so I have used it ever since.

Printer Name: Print to OneNote, of course.

Do not share, do not print a test page.

Finish.

Get properties on the printer and under Advanced click the drop down

and select the Send to Microsoft OneNote driver.

Also Under Advanced select Print Processor and choose the

OneNotePrint2007 and leave as RAW.

Under Ports make sure it’s set to the "Send to OneNote" port

Close all property windows and "voila!" you have a new Print to OneNote

Printer.

Kelvin Krastel

Not a OneNote MVP 😉

Kelvin

10. Mathew Edlund says:

I have now spent almost 3 hours trying to fix this issue.  Perhaps Microsoft would like to pay my salary for that period of time?  I hardly think it is fair for my company to pay for time that is being used to fix an issue that is known and persistant and where the responcibilty lies completely on Microsoft.

Running a Repair – Doesn’t work

Reinstalling Microsoft Office Document Imaging – Doens’t work

Reinstalling OneNote – Doesn’t work

Manually creating a printer icon (under instruction from a MS Lead Deveopler) – Doesn’t work

Mind telling me what DOES work?

11. rmclaughlin says:

I just tried Kelvin’s instructions and it worked. It’s also logical. You’re basically installing a fake printer and then changing the driver to tell the computer to print to 1NOTE instead. Follow the instructions carefully.

12. Donna B. says:

I LOVE you. Thanks so much for the help.

13. louisP says:

Unable to pick the Onenote driver from the Properties/Advanced/Drop down list as per description above

????????????what a stuff-up!!!!!!!

14. JBH says:

Today I was using Onenote 2007.  I put my laptop on standby.  I opened it up and could not retrieve my notebook that had 3 months of material…suggestions?  Please help!

15. Hello says:

The driver was there but the OneNotePrint2007 Print Processor did not show up.  Any thoughts?

16. Mark H says:

Tried it also – I can’t find  "Send to Microsoft OneNote port."

-Mark

17. Pamoya says:

Kelvin –

You rule! this has been bugging me for several weeks now, but I followed your instructions and that fixed it.

18. Sasha says:

I’m having another problem with Send:

When printing a PDF, I get corrupted output.  Specifically, whenever the PDF has a quote (") in a line, the whole line ends up replaced with some garbage characters.

Example input:

“Refinement” of previous online inferences

Becomes in onenote:

I. 7K?7> 7?D     (and other mess)

Interestingly, if I ask to copy text from figures, the text gets OCR’ed correctly.

Is this something known? Repairable?

-sasha.

19. Don Graham says:

Now I get a "OneNote cannot find the file you specified." message.  Kelvin’s process works to the point that ‘Send to OneNote’ appears in the printer list, then when printing a file to OneNote I get the above message.  Has anyone had this?/resolved this?

20. Don Graham says:

21. EIPURIRU says:

Kelvin’s manual printer install worked great for me.

22. Multiple people seem to be pointing to this blog about the OneNote printer problem.

I found this Support KB Article on the Microsoft website that walks you through both Vista and XP manual re-creation of the printer driver.

I’m sure its not much different then the other URL’s listed, but I’m adding it as an additional resource location.

23. Brad says:

In this step:

Under Print processor, select OneNotePrint2007, select RAW under Default data type, and then click OK.

I do not have the OneNotePrint2007 option on the list! So when  I try to print to onenote, it can never find the file I’m trying to print!

Please help!

24. Lawrence York says:

Unfortunately, when I get to Step C where you click on the ADVANCED tab and are supposed to select SEND TO MICROSOFT ONENOTE DRIVER — it does not show up in the driver list!  If I try to find the driver, it of course, wants an INF file.  Can someone simply point me to the iNF in the OneNote installation that installs the driver on your system?

25. Drivers Ed says:

Hi,

DriverEdToGo offers state-approved driver’s education courses which are a necessary step in getting your Driving Permit. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Sofia.

26. Johann says:

Re the message "OneNote cannot find the file you specified."

Following Kelvin’s fix, I managed to get my printer driver setup again, but OneNote then responded with this message.

Finally, I got it working by following Brad’s step above – Under Print processor (Properties/Advanced/Print Processor), select OneNotePrint2007, select RAW under Default data type, and then click OK.

This has now cured the problem totally.

Thanks all.

Johann

27. Mike Morales says:

I’m stuck at exactly the same spot as Lawrence York.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

28. Michael says:

I installed Windows 7 beta with Office 2007. My Print to OneNote option was also missing. I was able to follow the steps Kevin listed – BUT was missing the OneNote print processor option. I did try the Windows Journal (RAW) option and it worked! If you don’t have the Windows Journal print processor, or the option to print to Journal, just open Windows Journal once and it will install the Print to Windows Journal print driver.

29. Aron Henning says:

Thanks Michael.

Worked for me to. 🙂

30. Don says:

I had trouble at first with Kelvin’s solution, but maybe today I was holding my mouth right because it finally took.  I like many others ran into the file not specified dialog box, so I went back into the properties and under the print processor the processor had defaulted back to winword or ?.  I then selected the OneNote again and this time I selected the apply button and now everything is just peachy.  Thanks to Kelvin and others who have contributed to this fix.

31. Scott Breckenridge says:

Those of you having trouble with Kelvin’s instructions should choose "Start printing after last page is spooled" on the Advanced tab.  (And make sure you reset the Print Processor to OneNotePrint2007RAW after you do that.)  Worked for me.

32. Greg says:

Thanks so much Kelvin! Worked perfectly, I’d been scouring the internet for hours to figure out what the heck was wrong

33. on a clean install of Win 7, the send to OneNote driver isn’t installed; it’s there if you upgrade and it works but you don;t get it on a clean install. And the printer dialog has been intentionally ‘simplified’ so that the steps in the KB no longer work. Anyone got past this?

34. SeanS says:

When can we expect a x64 Vista driver?

35. Simon Allison says:

We had the printer driver problem (disappearing) and we hadnt put the sept update on as yet, I thought maybe this was a red herring so skipped this article when i was looking for a solution but the update actually FIXED the issue. So if you dont have this update installed and your printer disappears, please install this update!  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950130

36. Simon Allison says:

just to eloborate….

We have XP with Office 2007 SP1  –

Cheers guys

37. I was just reminded that we were asked to document most of the changes that we took in SP2 so customers

38. Maxine says:

I tried to follow the KB article but when I get to the point where I need to select the ‘send to one note’ driver it is not there.  Please help, this is driving me crazy

39. Margaret says:

I have onenote 2007 running under a vm on a mac.

is there any way i can get ‘send to onenote’ under my printers on mac side?

40. Kurt says:

I’ve gone through Kelvin’s procedure, but I’m only offered options for Send to OneNote 2003.  As a result, it won’t print to 2007.  Please note that Send to OneNote previously worked fine on my computer…help?

41. Chintan says:

Thank you Kevin – it worked perfectly for my computer. I was freaking out b/c I use onennote religiously and that option got totally wiped out after a stupid update.

42. Susie says:

The Windows Journal fix FINALLY worked for me!  I was missing the print processor, so I got the "OneNote cannot find the file you specified" message.  Finally, it’s working again.

Thanks Michael!

43. OneNote again and this time I selected the apply button and now everything is just peachy.  Thanks to Kelvin and others who have contributed to this fix.

44. I got it working by following Brad’s step above – Under Print processor (Properties/Advanced/Print Processor), select OneNotePrint2007

45. Yeah it really worked thanks for the help

46. Stephanie says:

1. Go to Control Panel.

2. Click Printers and Faxes.

3. Right-click Send to OneNote 2010.

4. Click Properties.

5. Click Advanced tab.

6. Click Print Processor button.

7. Select MS_XPS then RAW.

47. auto gps says:

Nice post very informative. actually i am searching to buy a Auto GPS when I cam across your site. thanks a gain it was a good read!

48. Al says:

Yes indeed a good post. I really need this info as i am also figuring this out. Thanks for a great post.

49. YY says:

i have windows 7 , but i dont have the Send to Microsoft OneNote port. What can i do? help me please

50. Baba Ibeji says:

i have windows 7 x64, but i dont have the Send to Microsoft OneNote port. What can i do? help me too please

51. Joseph C. says:

This was frustrating me, as none of the approaches seemed to work for me.  I finally realized that I needed to be meticulous and so I:

1) Rebooted.

2) Went to printers and removed the existing print-to-OneNote printer entry.

3) Rebooted.

4) Ran Control Panels – Programs – Programs and Features, highlighted Microsoft Office OneNote, Change… Repair.

5) Rebooted.

This time, I got my OneNote printer and theIE Tool to send to one note back and working!  Hurrah!

52. Enrique says:

You guys make it impossible not to hate your products

53. AT says:

Very helpful, thanks.

54. leanne says:

My one note driver keeps disappearing to. I thought it must have been after an update and I was able to repair it through ms office but it keeps disappearing.

What the??? Each time I repair and it comes back, but what a hassel.

55. Very useful., i got it fixed

56. AnnieB says:

Surprise!  Almost FIVE (5) years later, and it's happening again with Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (32-bit) Service Pack 2!