How to fix missing printer icon

We have reports of the "Send To OneNote 2007" printer disappearing or stop working. We’re looking into the causes and possible fixes. In the meantime, here are some fixes that have been shown to work. If you run into this problem and one of these steps fix it, please let us know (by leaving a comment below or email me directly). That will help us track down the cause(s).

2. Disable the Send To OneNote IE add-on
    • Boot Ie and go to Tools | Manage Add-ons | Enable or Disable Add-ons
    • Find the entry for a "Send to OneNote" add-on. Click the radio button to disabled it
    • Restart IE as requested
    • Open up the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet, and run Repair on the Office/OneNote install
  3. Remove an conflicting print driver
    • Go to Control Panel – Printers
    • Identify the printer (sometimes a pdf printer) installed after OneNote.
    • Right click mouse and open properties.
    • Go to Ports tab and check the entries.
    • Check if the box next to "Send to Microsoft OneNote Port:" is ticked.
    • If ticked this appears to be the source of the conflict.
    • Delete the offending printer driver.
    • Perform a repair install of Office/OneNote.

I hope this works and also do this if you are comfortable messing with installations; this is a working theory and might not fix everyone’s problems.  Thanks a bunch and I hope this post is useful to those people who are facing this problem and they search online for a solution.  Take care

Update on 2009-05-05: If you are seeing this and you are on Windows 64bit (x64) then you might want to read this: OneNote Print Driver – A 64 Bit Solution, check it out!

1. Jeffrey Collins says:

Running the repair feature worked for me.

2. hankpi says:

Running the repair feature worked for me also.

3. Larry says:

this worked – the offending printer driver was a quickbooks simple start pdf converter printer driver.  I deleted it and the One Note printer now works.

4. soliloquyx says:

The third solution worked for me – again it was a Quickbooks PDF printer, I had Quickbooks installed before OneNote but I believe it may have been an update that Quickbooks did.

5. r3loaded says:

The above has not worked for me, I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and I believe it was due to installing Vista SP1, though I can’t be 100% positive that it is the culprit.

6. Bill Butler says:

It work by removing old printers from My Printers and then turning on and connecting the current printer.

7. Mike says:

My "Send To OneNote 2007" printer disappeared today. I’m not sure what caused it to disappear but running the Repair of OneNote fixed the problem on XP SP2.

8. Steph says:

Running the repair feature worked for me, thanks for the info.

9. C. McRae says:

This fix worked for me.  There was no conflicting print driver. I checked properties of all my printers and they looked fine, so I essentially ran the repair on the Office/OneNote install twice in a row and it worked!  Thank you!

10. GeoStant says:

I found that I had several conflicting "Send To" programs that were installed after I installed OneNote. First, I installed Family Treemaker, a Genealogy Program, that I needed to delete. Then I had an update to QuickBooks that actually took over the port. When both print drivers were deleted, and I ran a repair to Office/OneNote, the OneNote Send To print driver returned and now all is working.

11. Leslie says:

I printed and followed Daniel Escapa’s instructions, except my husband

spoke to me at the wrong time and I deleted the XPS Printer before I

went to the ports tab.  I ran regedit and deleted every mention of the

XPS Document Printer wherever it occurred in the Registry.  Ran

OneNote Repair (a total of 3 times) and rebooted each time.

But, none of these steps re-established the Send to OneNote

capability.  I then worked through Patrick Schmid’s procedure.  I

added a Send to Microsoft OneNote port, selected the default printer

(which I assumed had been done at installation), Named the Printer as

specified, did not share or print test page.  BUT when I got to

Advanced tab under Printer Properties, there was no Send to Microsoft

OneNote Driver.  SP1 must have overwritten the printer driver!  Is it

possible for me to copy this driver (file name needed) from my

installation CD?

Oviously, without the printer driver installed, I still can’t send

anything to OneNote and am totally dead in the water.  To say that I’m

horrified is the understatement of the week.  I saw nothing under

"Known Issues" on this SP to indicate such dire consequences.  I don’t

think I’ll ever apply another patch to this program . . . . if I ever

get it running again.  From reading, it appears that even uninstalling

and re-installing doesn’t fix this problem which has rendered the

program completely unusable for me.

12. Victor says:

I had that problem and I fixed with your recommendation:

1. Open up the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet, and run Repair on the Office/OneNote install.

It worked very well, congratulations and thanks.

13. rasmasyean says:

Didn’t work for me.

All I have is "Fax" and Microsoft XPS Document Writer".

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 (no SP1)

14. rasmasyean says:

OK… 64-bit Printer Driver DOES NOT EXIST!

I wish I found this info before I wasted my time with this fix.

15. Ali says:

Mine is fixed by reparing. but it get dissapeared very often without installing new printer.

it’s very frustrating as I’m Heavily using ONENOTE 2007

thanks for advice anyway.

16. OneNote 2007 has been out for over a year, we’ve shipped our first service pack for it and have had overall

17. Zack Harlow says:

The first repair worked for me. Thanks.

18. Ross Holder says:

Using the repair feature has worked for me as well.  Really, really irritating bug tho – the repair feature requires that you reinstall the *entire* office installation, whatever that may be for you.  I had Project, FrontPage and Visio in addition to all the other main Office constituents (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, InfoPath, Groove and Publisher).  The process takes waaaay too long.  And gods forbid you should have to start over because you forgot to close Outlook or something!

19. Nik says:

repair on office 2007 worked great. any idea how it started tho? I think I got it when I did microsoft update(office SP1), not sure though.

20. Brandon says:

The repair function (running Vista) worked great for me, thanks!

21. Sean says:

Thank you very much for the article, I wished I had seen your article earlier to avoid wasting time. I am running Office Home and Student on Vista home Premium, and could not figure out why I did not have "Send to Onnote printer" . I rmoved Quickbooks PDF convertor virtual printer and reinstalled the Office (chose repair during the installation) and now I have this imensely usefull virtual printer in my system .

Thanks Sean

22. eddie says:

I tried this and the repair option was not there. Had to use the change option and then another dialog box opened with the repair option. You may run into that yourself.

23. Kim says:

Running the Repair for Office 2007 worked for me.

24. Jon says:

Running repair for OneNote did not work.

Deleted the QuickBooks PDF printer, ran repair and the Send to OneNote 2007 driver reappeared!

25. Phil says:

Running the Office Repair option from the Control Panel applet, did the trick for me.

I’m running Vista Business and I believe that the OneNote Printer Driver got removed when I upgraded to SP1 (although I not 100% sure on this, but it was there before).

26. sms says:

I have a very weird situation.

On Vista32 bit, my IE7 was send-to-onenote working, however it has disappeared from firefox as well all office apps.

I did install FF3 .. and I didn’t notice it till yesterday that that ability to use onenote was gone.

Tried #1 .. didn’t help

#2 isn’t applicable .. my IE works

#3 don’t have an issue with, though I did remove the quickbooks_pdf_creator .. which is crapware on sony vaio .. driver is installed but not activated !!! go figure

So I am sol still

27. Mary Breden says:

Thanks for your help.  I also had to select "Change" and then find the "Repair" option on the next window.    I was also confused to not find "OneNote" listed as an installed program, since I had to purchase and install it separately from everything else…

As to what caused it – I had just added an (old) Epson (Stylus Photo 870) printer, which Vista tried to do "plug and play" on – and failed miserably.  Sounds like this might be related, though I’m not positive.  After reading these comments, I went ahead and finished the installation of the Epson before I re-installed the OneNote print driver.

Again, thank you for your help!!

28. Joy says:

I got it to work again when I repaired office.  Although, the setup screen crashed halfway through the repair.  (Not sure that that has anything to do with onenote).  Thanks for the blog entry!

29. Alexa says:

The first option – repairing – worked for me. Thank you so much! I was so bummed when it wasn’t working.

30. Claudia says:

The Repair procedure in Add/Remove Programs worked for me and restored my OneNote printer. Thank you.

31. Lars says:

After restarting from a Windows Update on 9.10 the printer drive vanished.  Hopefully repairing will fix it.

32. Mark says:

This is so frustrating!  I am a *heavy* onenote user and use the Send to Onenote printer many times a day.  Then today – POOF – it disappeared.

I tried the suggestions here and no luck. 🙁  I didn’t install any new printers, but I do think Windows might have updated.

..F#*@king Microsoft 🙁

33. Mark says:

Ha!! Found the cause!

The September 9, 2008 Security Update for Onenote caused the Send to Onenote printer to disappear.  Sorry, I don’t have the number associated with it.

Removing the security update made the printer driver reappear.  Btw, I forgot to say I’m running XP Sp3

34. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

35. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

36. GBM Forum member Blair discovered that the latest updates released just this

37. Akos says:

I found this at the following site:*&lnk=gst&q=patrick+schmid+onenote+2007+printer+not+found

It fixed my print to OneNote problem without having to repair/reinstall etc.

1) Add Printer – Local – Do not detect.

2) Use the following port: Send to Microsoft OneNote port.

3) Select a printer. I use Fujistsu Breeze 100. It shouldn’t make a

difference which printer you use. That just happened to be the one I

chose the first time I did it and so I have used it ever since.

4) Printer Name: Print to OneNote, of course.

Do not share, do not print a test page.

5) Finish.

6) Get properties on the printer and under Advanced click the drop down

and select the Send to Microsoft OneNote driver.

7) Also Under Advanced select Print Processor and choose the

OneNotePrint2007 and leave as RAW.

8) Under Ports make sure it’s set to the "Send to OneNote" port

9) Close all property windows and "voila!" you have a new Print to OneNote

Hope that helps!!!

38. disapointed user says:

I get stuck @ point 6 – No Onenote driver visible!!

39. lindsay says:

omg, repaired about 4 times, and IT WORKS!

thank you!!!!

40. Janice says:

The first option, change then repair on Office worked for me. Check after each step, it really was pretty easy once you told me what to do. Thanks.

41. Helen says:

Repairing Office sorted mine, I think it originally got broken by the update around 10th September.

42. Carol says:

Repairs to OneNote, Office and uninstalling Quickbooks didn’t work, but adding the local printer has worked.  Thank you soooooooooo much

43. Robert Schiela says:

Step #2 worked for me.

I’m using IE 8B2 on Vista SP1.

44. Clint says:

i tried daniel’s fixes, none worked.  Jon made the below post on April 26.  i tried it and it worked for me as well.

"Running repair for OneNote did not work.

45. says:

what is One Note?  I dont understand the language written in the repair notes

46. Barbara says:

The repair option worked just fine for me.  I was a chicken about hitting the uninstall button, so I right clicked the program in the list, and it gave me the option of repair.

47. FlohEinstein says:

"Send to Onenote" does not appear when installing Onenote 2007 in Windows 7 – problem is solved by doing "repair" once after installing all the updates (SP1, hotfixes)

48. Zac says:

Running the Windows 7 beta (32 bit).  The driver wasn’t present upon first install and I either used the Repair feature or Office Diagnostics (can’t remember which) which fixed it.  This time it disappeared spontaneously after a month of functionality and the Repair feature didn’t help.  I tried the second method to still no avail, but then ran the Repair feature a 2nd time after disabling the IE add-on (third time total to run Repair) and that has now fixed it.

49. PZ Mick says:

Running XP Pro SP3. The QuickBooks PDF printer had taken over my OneNote port but deleting it was not an option because I use it quite a lot. I found that adding a local port and assigning the PDF driver to it, then running Office Repair fixed the problem. I now have both the QuickBooks save as PDF facility and Send to OneNote working.

50. Jacqui says:

I think mine was caused by the QuickBooks PDF Converter too. Deleted that driver. After the Repair One Note hung on the second attempt I gave up and used the solution from Akos on Sept 14 above. Works perfectly THANK you! After months of pain without the Send To OneNote it is fixed at last – very happy. I use Onenote all day every day.

51. Michaelea says:

The 9 step program worked for me above after I’d already tried Office Diags from the OneNote Help menu.

The 9 Stepper is the one that I would choose first every time as I do use the QuickBooks pdf converter.

Given close to a decade’s worth of Intuit’s miserable failures with printing successfully (you know, just like hp’s printers used to!) I was afraid to lose the QuickBooks .pdf writer on that port….and therefore have it stop working altogether. Tho’, I did not see anyone above report that their Quicken pdf printer was no longer working.

Still I chose the 9 step program, the Quick* .pdf writer is still on that port and everybody’s playing together nicely. Ahhhhh!

Thank You.

52. Daniel Escapa says:

If you are having problems with this on Windows 64bit, please check this out.  David seems to have fixed this, detail here:

53. Ryan says:

Thanks a million. It worked for me. I always had an option to "Insert as Printout" & also always had the virtual OneNote printer in my Printers folder. I just would get an error about needing to install the print driver when using this feature.

After Repairing Office Enterprise 2007 & disabling the add-on in IE, it now works.

OS: Win XP Pro SP3

Office: MS Office 2007 Enterprise

54. Yusuf Ahmad says:

I found this article effective to resolve it…

Yusuf Ahmad

55. Jonno says:

Repair worked for me even though it said it didnt complete successfully! Thanks

56. Lauren says:

Repair worked for me!

My printer disappeared after an update yesterday for Outlook spam filter.  Could be unrelated but thought I’d share…

57. P.Ner says:

P. 1 did not solve the problem

P. 2 after MS Office repair – the Send To OneNote printer appeared on the printer list and worked fine

58. jeff bass says:

printer icon has disappeared. how do i fix

59. Chris LTQ says:

Any update on this? Its doing the same in 2010 now!!!

60. Dorothy says:

I lost send to Onenote after installing a cutepdf printer. Running the repair on Microsoft Office brought it back again.

Thanks for the advice!

61. Luis says:

muy agradecido. realmente me ha sido útil. Se me desapareció, impresora OneNote. Hice el paso 1, y milagro, apareció. Muchas gracias

62. shanepark28 says:

Very great topic but I also want to share to all of you about the <b><a href=""class="first">Wide Format Printer Repair</a></b> they offer 24/7 Service with 98% up time on first visit and number 1 trusted source for large format printer service.