Send to OneNote 2007, why it isn’t there in 64-bit (x64)

I am hoping that the search engines will pick up this string for Send to OneNote 64bit, OneNote print driver x86, 64-bit OneNote Print to OneNote.  I got the following email from someone:

I happened across your OneNote blog and thought you might be a good person to contact.  I’ve discovered that you don’t get the “Print to OneNote” feature on 64-bit Vista…  I did some web searching to try to find out more information, but mostly just found a bunch of annoyed users…

Do you know if this issue is going to be fixed anytime soon?

Well first of all the Send to OneNote 2007 print driver is currently not available on any of the 64-bit OSes.  You can read about it in this KB article: The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer printer driver in Word 2007 and in OneNote 2007 is not installed on a computer that is running a 64-bit operating system.  Pretty much the Microsoft Office Document Imaging tools are not available on 64-bit and therefore the Send to OneNote print driver isn’t available.

As for the second part of the question, the more important issue.  We are fully aware of the issue and we are looking to address this in a future release.  Note: anything I mention on here can changed so just note that caveat, no promises.  In the meantime if you really need this feature it is recommended that you run x86 and sorry for the inconvenience.

Update on 2008-04-23: David wrote more about this here: OneNote 64 bit print driver.  Short story is that we will not have an update for OneNote 2007 to support the 64bit print driver and we are working on a solution for the next release of OneNote.  More details after the fold: OneNote 64 bit print driver.

Update on 2009-05-05: David seems to have fixed this, detail here: OneNote Print Driver – A 64 Bit Solution, check it out!

1. Yes, you read that right. If you are running a 64-bit versions of Windows XP or Vista, you are missing

2. Nils says:

What can I say?? Of course I understand that other companies are slow in releasing 64 bit drivers… but hello! this is the same company that offers us a 64bit OS and OneNote, so basically the app should behave same on every platform? But nope it does not…

By the way, suggesting x86 in order to use Onenote is a joke, too… I want to install an application, not reinstall my whole system just to use a single feature!

I guess this kind of issue is the reason why users switch to other OSes…

Really disappointed.

3. Patrick says:

Off topic but kinda related.

Running OneNote print driver x86 and therefore no problems with Send To OneNote function.

But why oh will IE not send web pages via the OneNote Import Printer Driver to OneNote 2007. Frustrating to the point I’ve now gone back (again)to Firefox which has no problem with this task.

Life before the wonderful OneNote is difficult to imagine but this occasional incompatibility between MS core products is really annoying.

Patrick

What would really complete my total admiration for OneNote would be a MS/OneNote version of a little gizmo called digiscibble which allows the capture of note taking from ordinary pen and paper. Ideal when you want to jot something down without opening up the pc – to be able to sync this with OneNote would be a dream come true.

Send To OneNote 2007 and IE

4. Greg says:

Daniel’s brilliant idea to install yesterday’s software technology to solve this problem is right in line with Microsoft’s Help & Support KB which states "This issue occurs by design because the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer printer driver is not installed on a computer that is running a 64-bit operating system."

Jeez! Is this lame or what? In its psycho-babble, MS has a new tenet ‘failing to design is designing to fail.’

Why not assign one of the 80,000 MS employees to this task?

5. Lentile says:

/signed

Another unhappy user, but still a loyal MS user.

There are two issues that are unfortunate and cause a great deal of frustration to users such as myself.

1) Incompatibility within a vendor’s own software products.

I am (as most of us are) conditioned to understand that software development is not perfect and that bugs require cycles and priorities. However, as a customer I am discouraged that we must settle with disconnects to this degree within a company’s own products line.

2) Communication!

I recently upgraded my OS from Vista x86 to Vista x64. I believe the largest failure is in communication. A comprehensive list of all the bugs involving MS’s x64 OS and their other software products would have been nice.

Ideally, a tool by which I could enter my MS OS (or prospect OS) and a list of the most important MS products for my usage. After I enter the OS and the other software products the tool shall display a list of known bugs.

Based on these bugs, I could make an educated decision as to whether or not it would be beneficial for me to continue. This tool could be very similiar to the hardware compatibility tool used by Windows when upgrading.

I tool of this nature could save users such as myself a considerable amount of frustration, time, and money. Clearly there are cons to a tool of this nature, but I would hope the pros outweight the cons.

If this information is readily available then I apologize for my ignorance and look forward to the references.

Thanks for reading my rant and for this blog.

6. Karl Z says:

I thought Microsoft was taking 64 bit computing seriously. By Microsoft’s own "Requirements for the Windows Vista Logo Program for Software" it appears OneNote is NOT "Certified for Windows Vista". I believe that the ability to "Print to OneNote" is part of OneNote’s primary functionality. (I use print to OneNote, scanning, and typing as means of input – in that order)

Here’s the section of the requirements dealing with x64:

1.2 Support x64 Versions of Windows Vista

Criteria

To maintain compatibility with x64 versions of Windows, it is necessary that:

• Applications and their installers must not contain any 16-bit code or rely on any 16-bit component, since 16-bit code will not run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

• If an application is dependent on kernel-mode drivers for operation, x64 versions of these drivers must be available.  The application setup must detect and install the proper drivers and components for the 64-bit Windows OS.

WOW64 will allow 32-bit code to run on 64-bit versions of Windows, so it is not necessary that the application run natively on x64 versions of Windows.

Rationale

Many Windows Vista users will be running x64 versions of the operating system, so it is crucial for applications to be compatible with this OS.

Additional Information

It is acceptable to remove some features from an application when it installs on an x64 version of Windows, as long as these features are not part of the application’s primary functionality.

7. equals42 says:

What I am most curious about is that you mention that the problem will be addressed in a future release.  What kind of release will this be?  A service pack?  Office 2010?  I was hoping SP1 would have fixed this but alas no.  Come on.

8. Gradlag says:

This makes me want to scream.  What are Microsoft playing at.  This is a basic feature that has been omitted ‘by design’.  Do you have any further new on when they plan to fix this?

9. rasmasyean says:

This makes sense.  Since OneNote is one of those crappy side apps with a low user base, they’ll put the 64-bit version in the back-burner.

10. hb says:

Sound as a joke … When do I have the driver for Vista 64 ?

11. Jordan says:

Well, I’m at least glad I found this article so I can stop searching. I rely pretty heavily on this feature, so it’s kind of bad that I have to use my other computer to print to the shared notebook, but I guess it’s not the end of the world.

I’ll try to help get the word out.

12. Alex says:

Absolutely unacceptable! Why it is so hard to do a 64-bit driver???

13. Nela says:

I am perplexed with MS lack of response to this issue.

As a college student, I will say that I’m in a large group of OneNote users.  This, I believe, is perhaps one of the largest number of users by category.

Printing to OneNote has become one of the integral tools for my note-taking, research projects, planning and scheduling, etc.

Although there are ways to get around it, they are limited.  For example, a screen clipping is limited to the visible portion on the screen.  If a driver is nowhere to be found, perhaps tweaking other features would serve as a suitable solution.

There are other competitors dying to take OneNote customers away (Evernote, etc).  Don’t fall asleep on this one, MS, you snooze, you loose!

14. A C says:

I completely agree with Nela, ( last comment). This is absurd that Microsoft would not make a driver for onenote an integral part of their new 2007 office suite. I love the program and with professors giving notes in powerpoint and pdf its hard to just toss everything into one note. I understand that Adobe Acrobat has started supporting x86-64 now why is microsoft denying its own customers the same support. I was given a SPECIAL, discounted price for x64 when purchasing it through HP. Now I know why it was discounted, too many problems. It’s a pity I either have to downgrade and not have my 4gb ram show up or stay here and suffer with the lack of support from a software vendor that doesn’t even support its NEW products ( office 2007 and Vista 64)

15. eric says:

The next version of Windows is apparently going to only be available in 64-bit.  I have a 64-bit version of print to Windows Journal.  I just bought a new tablet notebook, obviously in 64-bit to take advantage of the standard 4GB RAM these days, and bought Office 2007.  I was amazed that one of the primary core features of OneNote 2007 was "designed out".  This is like offering an electric hybrid car that you only find out later that has a serious horsepower cap in electric-only mode that makes the feature almost useless and the gas engine has to be used all the time.

Just more management bloat from Microsoft, being late to the market as always.  I guess I’ll scrap oneNote and go buy some other product, like AskSam.

16. Matthew says:

I also am very upset about this. I continue to plug this application to everyone, as I have found it to be one of the best applications for some of the things I am doing.

However, since updating to Vista 64 I have found Onenote’s primary functionality of being able to capture data from pretty much anywhere gone, and now useless. So therefore have been unable to say what a wonderful product this is.

One of the best products that Microsoft have made has for me been really badily impared, all for the lack of a driver….. sad.

17. raul says:

desculpe, não vou perder tempo traduzindo pra inglês. vocês têm funcionários brasileiros…..

isso é um absurdo, o único tablet que me interessava (TX2000Z) NAO TINHA OPCÃO DE COMPRA SEM SISTEMA WINDOWS…. e já vinha com esse lixo de VISTA 64… OU SEJA, EU PAGUEI, E CARO, POR UM SISTEMA MAL FEITO… BEM O QUE O CARA DISSE, É "FAILURE BY DESIGN IS DESIGNING TO FAIL"…. EU QUERO SUPORTE AO SEND TO ONENOTE NO VISTA 64 BITS… PODE TER CERTEZA QUE VOU CRITICAR PRA TODO MUNDO ESSA MICROSOFT QUE AGORA SIM ME DESAPONTOU DE VEZ….

18. Terry says:

So, let me get this right.  I have bought the "most advanced technology" MS has…and it is not compatable with its own app. And…MS is not willing to fix it.

Ok….

19. Jan Hall says:

Add my voice as another very disappointed user.  I love MS OneNote and recently bought a computer with MS XP 64-bit OS.  To find out that my favorite program and one of it’s most useful features won’t work on my new MS OS is very disappointing. And we’ll have to pay to upgrade OneNote once the issue is fixed?  How very MS!

20. sergio says:

I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED TOO. I BOUGHT A TABLE PC FROM LENOVO WITH 4GB RAM WITH THE ONLY INTENTION OF USING THIS FEATURE OF ONENOTE, THAT HELPS ME TO ADD NOTES TO POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS AND DOCUMENTS WHEN REVIEWING THEM WHILE FLYING.  REALLY CONVENIENT, BUT… HA, HA! IT DOESN’T WORK!!! AND THE SOLUTION THEY GIVE ME IS TO CHANGE TO A 32-bit???  AND LOOSE 1GB OF RAM???

REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

21. Nils Kaiser says:

Found a way to fully restore the "Send To OneNote" functionality. It involves installing a program called Zan Image Printer.

See http://blog.nils-kaiser.de/?p=5

Greetings,

Nils

22. Jeff says:

I am disappointed because I didnt have a choice and got vista64 which in general is quite nice.

but it would have saved me many hours if MS would have put in the help or on the onenote website that the printer driver was not supported w/64bit vista. the lack of communication shows that MS is being sneaky and doesnt want anyone else to know about this little oversight…

well if nothig else thanks for the info, i willstart looking for an alternative program tomorrow!

JP

23. Jim says:

OK so a lot of time has pasted, is there anyway to get this resolved with MS. How do we start a class action suite. There is nothing on my Offfice 2007 Ultima that tells me onenotes is not compatable with Vista 64, it says it is certified for Vista.

I am like most, I do not want money abck or anything like that, I just want the OCR and Print ot Onenotes to work on my ew Vista 64 computer.

Any clues how to get this started?

Jim

24. Tim says:

This is such a freakin joke. Does Microsoft have any intention of supporting 64-bit processors this century? Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft stopped producing 32-bit versions of the OS, other software vendors would jump on the bandwagon. 2007 will be the last time I purchase a copy of Office.

25. H@2dC0d32 says:

In case that you have not noticed yet, Office 2007 itself is 32 bit!

🙂

26. Isaac says:

Other than this issue which is unbelievable since MS produces the OS that OneNote can’t work on, I think the help files for OneNote are probably the worst I have ever seen. MS seems to think they are just great though. They could have stuck with the old help file format and spent all that saved time to fix the worst problem of this program

My main question is this. Why, after a rather large number of comments, all of which are negative, have we not seen a response from Daniel? My guess, based on his blog post is that MS doesn’t particularly care about this issue.

27. academy award movies 2005 [URL=http://kamada.strefa.pl/page337.html]academy award movies 2005[/URL] [url=http://kamada.strefa.pl/page337.html]academy award movies 2005[/url] [url]http://kamada.strefa.pl/page337.html[/url]

28. <a href=’http://clpatric.strefa.pl/labrne-504.html‘>eau claire calgary movies</a> <a href="http://clpatric.strefa.pl/labrne-504.html">eau claire calgary movies</a> [link=http://clpatric.strefa.pl/labrne-504.html]eau claire calgary movies[/link]

29. dee says:

THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD A NOTE REGARDING SAME ON THE OneNote casing, & webpage – I purchased a touchscreen notebook just for this application!!!

30. Chris says:

While I must throw my agreement behind everyone that this is absurd–it is not uncommon.  Last year I was eager to adopt WS2008 to take advantage of Hyper-V and some other features.  When I went to install Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 I found out that it is not supported under WS2008.  There’s a pretty healthy number of Microsoft products that were recently released without support for Vista/WS2008.

The only reason I ran across this issue is because I was working through my system log on a WS2008 terminal server and found it complaining that there was no driver for Microsoft Document Image Writer.  Lo and behold it’s because it doesn’t exist for a 64-bit OS.  *sigh*

31. Nela says:

I am still dealing with this issue.

Today I opened WIndows Journal in my Vista 64 computer, and I was able to use the print (import) function just fine.  It does what OneNote is supposed to do – opened the document in Word and placed a neat printout in my Journal note page.

I don’t understand why one MS program is able to do what another MS program lacks.  I would hope that the two departments are able to trade secrets freely.   😐

Regarding the idea of including this feature in a future version instead of issuing a patch for 2007 is indeed unacceptable.  I upgraded from OneNote 2003 BECAUSE of this feature.  Do you mean to tell me that I will now need to purchase a third licence just for this???

32. CH says:

WOW! What can someone say to that?! I just went to x64 Vista and OneNote is now worthless to me! I have spent thousands on MS products and to be ripped off on a core function of a program and done so with now warning is nuts. Please MS at least support your own software or don’t make it. Don’t get the opinion you would rather have crap to sell than nothing, with that attitude you will fail in this market. People are getting sick of everything being "China quality!" Make a plugin or something. Can I get a refund for Office 2007 and Vista.

33. shelia says:

dose this also work for microsoft document imaging?

34. Turner says:

Try this solution, it works much better than the XPS workaround

Onenoteprintdriver.blogspot.com

35. dbiz says:

The fix does not work for Windows 7 RTM, and that’s kind of an important OS.

36. Teri Buller says:

Did they ever come up with a image writer 64bit printer driver.

I have a customer who uses the document image writer exclusively for his work because he can put pictures into the modi format. They come out clear and with a small kb format so he can send it off to the printers.

I know the got rid of office document imaging in 2010…