Matlab to OneNote – Thanks to Stephen Lawrence

I just got an email from Stephen Lawrence who shared with me a Matlab app/script which will publish to OneNote.  For example say you have the following in Matalb:

fprintf('Hello World\n');
figure;
plot(magic(10));

And then you wanted to publish it to OneNote, you can with just this one command:

OneNotePublish(‘test.m’);

Steve explains it all here:

I took your Send file to OneNote powertoy code and adapted it for Matlab. I have attached my code below so that you can get an idea of how it works.

I had to switch from creating Matlab XML to Matlab HTML…the result works well. All I had to do to publish my file in OneNote was type:

OneNotePublish(‘test.m’);

in the command window.I got the resulting page:

image

You can download the source for this by downloading it here: Matlab2OneNote.  Nice work Steve!  Thanks a bunch for telling me about it!

1. [MatLab] was AWESOME. back when I was a student at [USC] (Go trojans!) I got an internship with [AlliedSignal]….

2. N. Velope says:

I was thinking about something like this for some of our in-house apps.  The extra feature that would be really nice would be to have a link back to the original document so I can scan through many file outputs in OneNote and then open the one I am interested in.  I was looking at the API and it seemed hard to add a link to a file on the outputted page.

3. Ran across this OneNote PowerToy on Daniel Escapa’s OneNote Blog that allows you to output Matlab to

4. Ran across this OneNote PowerToy on Daniel Escapa’s OneNote Blog that allows you to output Matlab to

5. Ran across this OneNote PowerToy on Daniel Escapa's OneNote Blog that allows you to output Matlab

6. Ran across this OneNote PowerToy on Daniel Escapa's OneNote Blog that allows you to output Matlab

7. treasure says:

i am trying to solve a simulation in VRP coding in MATLAB.Pls help , i am facing some major problems.

8. Nic says:

I am trying to plot a scatter graph and a bar graph on the same axis.  I want the scatter graph to use the left hand side y axis (which I have done) however I want the bar graph to use the left hand side y axis.  does anyone know how to do this?

9. Jiri rosicky says:

It is nice! But published images look like they are plain bitmaps – they pixelize after beeing zoomed in. If I copy a Matlab image using Matlab’s edit menu and paste it into OneNote the copy can bee zoomed and it looks very nice – like a vector graphics.

Is it possible to make OneNotePublish to publish images as such a nice (vector/metafile?) image?

Regards,

Jiri

10. M Betterton says:

I really really want to use this script, but it gives me an error from matlab:

??? Error: Object returned error code: 0x80042006

Error in ==> OneNotePublish at 25

unfiledID = onApp.OpenHierarchy(unfiledSectionPath, '', 0); % cftNone = 0,

cftNotebook = 1, cftFolder = 2, cftSection = 3

This is using Matlab R2010a and One Note 2010. Any suggestions for how to fix this?

11. ma morshed says: