Sort Sections powertoy

How could we have guessed that people had so many sections that they would want to organize them with just a click of a button? With that being said I finally finished up my sort sections powertoy. Pretty much I took the same code for the sort pages and changed it to work for sections, it was pretty easy. I had a harder time with Visual Studio & getting my setup project to work correctly (oh and the icon that was a pain too).

Before

After

Steps:

1. Make sure you have OneNote 2007 Installed & the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
  2. Download the file from here: OneNote2007SortSections.zip
  3. Install
  4. Close and restart OneNote
  5. Click on the new button you have:

Now you are all set!

CAUTION: I didn’t do any real testing other than a quick sanity tests, buyer beware! Oh and if you try it with a blank notebook you will just get a bunch of errors.

If you have problems/questions please let me know, otherwise I hope this helps you all out.

1. John Waller says:

Thank you very much for this Powertoy, Daniel. It’s just what we were looking for. Works very well on our Notebooks.

2. James Bolt says:

Any chance of you posting the code for this and the sort pages powertoy ?

3. Hi, nice powertoy. I’ve experienced a little problem though. Section groups are ignored and all the sections in those groups get moved to the highest level.

Now where’s my backup… 🙂

4. descapa says:

James – I need to release it soon, please give me a week or so and I will post it all.

Marc – You can always find backups by choosing File–>Open Backup but I would recommend that you just move the sections back into the section group.  Like I said I didn’t do much testing with this and I think I know what the problem is.  I will try and address it in the near future, but my time is short right now : )

Again my apologies

5. Daniel, no problem at all… I restored the section groups by hand this morning.

6. Is there a sort pages power toy available?

7. descapa says:

Tony – Sort pages can be found here:

Hope this helps!

8. Jamey Brumsey says:

Descapa,

Is there any way you can release the source code for this?  I’m working on creating my own powertoy and am having trouble installing it.  I would greatly appreciate it if I could look at your code to see how it is installed.  Thanks!

9. Khouth Chhea says:

Descapa,

I have tried to install both program for sorting pages and sections in onenote, but did not work for either of them. I have the sort buttons for both of them, but when i click on them, they did not work.

What did i do wrong?

I would appreciate if you can help me with this issue.

My email is kchhea@tpg.com.au

Thanks again.

10. descapa says:

Khouth – Are you using Vista?  Do you have UAC/LUA disabled?  Regardless please uninstall the tools and reinstall them and choose to install for "all users", this has helped many users with this problem.  Good luck!

11. Pavel Calda says:

Tried to install for All users and Just me, but in both cases the result was an error message:

"Could not UpdateHierachy" (misspelled Hierarchy!) "from OneNote. Error Code: The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800706BE)

12. descapa says:

Were you doing this on a password protected section?  Any other details?

That error code is not one that is generated by OneNote so it must be a COM error.

13. Hector C. says:

After running installation, which seems to be successful, there is not any button to sort the sections. Also, there is nothing listed in the add-in list.

14. Michael Morad-McCoy says:

I loaded sort pages successfully but sort sections isn’t working. The icon doesn’t show up after following the instructions.

15. It’s getting hard to keep blogging about OneNote in detail now that I am no longer on the team, but I

16. Hi, I was very interested in what seemed to be an ideal extension.  I have installed both the Powertoys, but the 2 icons are greyed out and do not do the sorting when clicked.  Any ideas, tried 4 re-installations but no joy. Mike

17. Chad Gronbach says:

Seems that you can’t have the page and sections sorters installed at the same time.  I installed the sections one first and worked fine.  When I tried the pages, it just does not show up in my plug-in list.  A co-worker did the same in the opposite order.  He got the same results.

I’m running Vista with UAC disabled, installed for ‘all users’.

Anyone else get both of them to work at the same time?

18. A few astute readers pointed out I (intentionally) missed a few addins the OneNote team finished last

19. Pete says:

Is it possible to sort notebooks with 1,2,3 rather than 1, 10, 11 ?

20. If you don't know I am a HUGE OneNote fan and have converted countless people from using Notepad

21. Thanks! This is invaluable and saved me a lot of dragging and dropping!

22. Mags Ingval says:

Been using it for months…however just clicked ‘sort by sections’ and it did something it had never done before. Basically I put sections under the "section organizers?" (my app no longer runs…so I can’t see what they are called, and I can’t remember the proper name)

Anyway… I’ve run the sort feature before, with no problems.  But THIS time… it took the sections out of the all of the ‘organizers" and put them in the root.. AND… It no longer runs… It comes up, but stays in the ‘not responding’ state…for an hour at least.

Any ideas on how to not lose my stuff…other than restoring from 1 week old backup… would be appreciated.

23. Daniel,

GREAT tool, I think this is one the best I’ve found so far.  I have found that if you have too many layers of "section groups" the tool will sometimes sort as expected, other wise it places them in the top level of the notebook.  So I’m not sure if this a OneNote problem or a problem with the sections sort powertoy.

Keep up the good work.

Kevin Sholder

24. OnenoteR says:

be careful, if you have groups of sections, you will lose them and pages will move to other sections ! This mixes pages in the sections !

regrettable

25. david bray says:

Can anyone give me advice or instruction on how to alphabetize long lists on a page?

26. Tominator says:

Hey–a point of caution about this…I have sections and a section group as part of a bigger section group…this yanks all of my sections from the sub-section group and sorted them all together with the sections of the primary section group.  It was a mess…good tool, but be aware of this.

27. Alan says:

I installed OneNote 2007 Sort Section Zip but there is no sort button. Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0  was installed.

Please help

28. Alan says:

Please help

My email:  alfoong@gmail.com

29. Anders Anderson says:

Does this program work under 64 bit enviroment?

30. Josée says:

Hi, Thank you for this useful tool!

I was just wondering how to get rid of the "deleted pages" section that gets created each time I use it. One note won't let me delete the section.

31. Demetri says:

I have installed the Section Sort several times and have not been able to get it to work.  After clicking on the sort button, it just greys out without doing the sort.  I have also checked to make sure that I have the latest updates of Microsoft.

32. Katie Hart says:

I can not download the onenote2007sortsections.zip it goes over whispnet and won't download.  Can you please send me another link or the file to

katie.hart@capella.edu

or mnkeh@yahoo.com

Thanks

33. Katie Hart says:

2nd request:

I tried to download the link but it won't let me.  I really need this file with the link below:

blogs.msdn.com/…/sort-sections-powertoy.aspx

please email me the link to katie.hart@capella.edu

34. Paul says:

Daniel, I'm unable to download the file (Firefox can't find the server at elhombre.members.winisp.net)

I'm using OneNote 2007 (Windows 7).