Here is another powertoy that I wrote that I wanted to share with you all. What does it do? It will sort any section’s pages into alphabetical order, like this:
- You need to have OneNote 2007 + the .Net Framework 2.0 installed on your machine
- Download the file here: OneNote2007SortPages.zip
- Install it!
- Close and restart OneNote
You will now have a new toolbar button that you can click which will sort the currently viewed section’s pages. The button looks like this:
- There is NO UNDO! Once you click that button it will sort the pages and you cannot revert the changes so be careful.
- You can only sort A-Z, there are no other options.
- It sorts by whatever order the .Net Framework believes is correct for your locale. For example sorting in Japanese does not sort by phonetic sounds like it does in Excel (and other Office apps).
- For large sections performance isn’t the best, just let it finish and it will eventually get there.
- There is no prompt before sorting the pages
As you can see there is still some work that could be done with this but I just didn’t have the time. I hope to post the code soon and then anyone can take it, add whatever options they want and make it a whole lot better.
I wanted to thank Kazuko Hishikawa, a Tester on the OneNote team, for helping me out and finding all of the issues that I just didn’t have time to work out : ) Thanks Kazuko!
Please let me know what you think, I am just excited that I can point this out to my mom since she really wants this feature. If you have problems or questions please let me know in the comments.