Export your Outlook notes to OneNote

What a busy day! I just heard from another Tester John Guin that he has another OneNote powertoy available. This one will export all of your Outlook Notes to OneNote with one click of the button. If you have been wanting to migrate your notes here is the time!

Download now: ExportOutlookNotestoOneNote.zip

Steps:

1. You will need .Net Framework 2.0 installed
  2. Run setup.exe
  3. Close and restart Outlook
  4. You will now see this button when you are in the Outlook Notes module:

Just click on Export To OneNote

5. You will then see this:

6. Now check your Unfiled Notes section and your notes will be there!

Download now: ExportOutlookNotestoOneNote.zip

Nice work John! If you have problems/questions please let us know in the comments below.

1. Ollie says:

Is this only for 2007 versions..?  I am still running 2003s.. I installed it without problems, but the button is not visible in Outlook.

2. Yes you need Office 2007 to run this, sorry for the confusion.

3. Dan Escapa is on a tear releasing a set of new PowerToys for OneNote 2007. What’s going on is that a

4. brittog says:

Hi,

Is it compatible with the notes we collected in the vista box.

5. Stefan says:

Have installed it cant start it

under Comaddins available but cant be checked

6. brittog – No this only works for your notes you took in Outlook not the notes taken in the Windows Sidebar.

7. John Guin says:

Sorry for the problems.   Can you exit outlook, then  uninstall and re-install?

Thanks,

John Guin

8. Scott says:

I didn’t see this mentioned. If you use it more than once, will it duplicate previously existing notes, or only copy over newly added Outlook notes?

9. Scott – I believe it will duplicate previous notes though maybe John can chime in.

10. I LOVE OneNote .. I use it all the time as my one shop note taker and with a tablet pc it is even better

11. John Guin says:

This will re-export each time you click the button.  So, yes, duplicates will result.

I had originally thought about deleting the Outlook StickyNotes after export, but decided against it.  Some people have thousands of these items, and I did not want to create a panic by "wiping them out" when done.

Another thought I had was adding the functionality to open OneNote instead (or in addition to) opening the Outlook Notes folder when you click it.  I can see the case where you would always want access to the MAPI folder in Outlook, so completely stopping you from opening that would be bad.  I can also think that once you export your notes into OneNote, you would want OneNote to be used instead of the Outlook Notes folder.  I could create another addin to open OneNote in addition to the Outlook folder when you try to open the Outlook folder if there is any interest, but launching OneNote is easy enough that it would probably not be very useful to many people at all.

Just thinking out loud,

John Guin

12. Craig B. says:

I’m looking forward to this handy add-in, but I’m having problems..

Running:

Vista Ultimate

Office/Outlook 2007

OneNote 2007

Everything appears to install correctly, but when I re-launch Outlook, the button is not loaded.

When I check Trust Settings>Add-Ins, the Export To OneNote box is listed in the inactive list. When I go to Manage Com Add-Ins, Export To OneNote is unchecked…but when I highlight it, there is an error reported below as "Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during loading of the COM Add-in".

The funny thing is the location says just mscoree.dll without any path listed. All of my other add-ins have paths pointing to somewhere in ProgramFiles>Office12 etc.

Could it just be the mscoree.dll needs to be moved?

Thx,

Craig

13. Rosie says:

I have Outlook 2003 and OneNote 2007. I installed the PowerToy, and the Toolbar appears, but nothing happens when I click the button. Do I need Outlook 2007 as well as OneNote 2007? Any suggestions as to how to achieve the same result in Outlook 2003?

14. John Guin says:

As written, I have a dependency on Outlook 2007, so you need the latest version of Outlook.

On the plus side, this addin should work for all future versions of Outlook.

Sorry for the hassle,

John

15. John Guin says:

Craig,

having mscoree.dll listed as the addin is expected: all managed code addins use this dll.

The only thing I discovered that may help is:

0. Uninstall

1. Ensure outlook is not running when you run setup.exe

2. Make sure you run setup, and not the MSI file

3. If all else fails, click the Go button and re-enable the checkbox next to the addin name.  Save all your settings and restart.

Hope this helps,

John

16. Benjamin Hirsch says:

I tried all your suggestions but I can’t get it installed. I really would love to as I will then buy OneNote for our entire Sales force. Any clues?

Ben

17. Mark says:

Dan,

One thing I’m amazed at, having once again searched like crazy, is that there is no built in or add on functionality for exporting Outlook tasks, with notes as a subitem, to OneNote. Here, when I say notes, I’m talking about what you see when you double click on an outlook task, the freeform text details about the task.

To me, onenote is the essential organizing brother for outlook, in that it gives you the ability to outline, which Outlook has never had, plus Outlook task synch. Between the 2 of them, you have the ability to hierarchically organize information in projects, and then make individual tasks "live" with scheduling and other meta-data provided in Outlook.

The only problem is, no one has had the foresite to create an easy way to export all of that Outlook content, in order to "start over" with a real organizing tool, namely an outliner. My God, am I the only one who has longed for Outlines in Outlook? I had hopes when I saw your notes exporter, but it seems this has nothing to do with "real tasks."

Ecco Pro 4.1 was THE tool for me, allowing outlining and meta-data in one. But it was killed. Please, bring this ability to Outlook/Onenote by giving me the ability to easily bring all of my tasks and sub-notes into OneNote easily. I don’t even care about the Outlook meta-data since I’ll be reorganizing it all from scratch. Just task and sub-notes.

Mark

18. Benjamin – I know that the person who wrote this is out of the office for some time (serving overseas).  If you want to contact me via the contact me I can get your email address and let you know when he gets back into town.

19. Craig says:

John,

OK…it’s working now. Thanks.

I uninstalled killed a running Outlook process and a running OneNote process…that seemed to do the trick.

-Craig

20. Dave says:

Hi – This is just what I need, however it only seems to move one note (outlook note), which is not the file I have highlighted or open?

– Dave

21. Bob says:

I am new to onenote.  This program worked great.  However, is there anyway to bring the original date the note was created into Onenote?

Thanks

Bob

22. Jim says:

I love OneNote! I have Vista Home Premium and Office 2007 on my machine. I exported only a portion of my notes–the ones with no categories or colors applied. I’ve tried moving the ones already moved to a different folder in a different .PST file, but each time I try to get the remaining Outlook Notes to move, the move PowerToy sends a portion of the uncategorized Notes to the unfiled Notes section of OneNote again. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

23. I wanted to welcome John Guin , a OneNote Test Lead, to the blogsphere. John is new to our team for Office14

24. Florian says:

Hi all,

i still there where "craig" was, before – the trick – was working. I tried everything written here, also to stop outlook and onenote prozess in taskmanager, but its not helping, the add-in is not acceptet.. the error is the same…. I have a lot to export….;)

any idea from someone?

thanks,

25. JohnGuin says:

If you are running on Vista, be sure to run as admin, and select to "Install for all users."

John

26. rwrwrw says:

*** 3 Critical issues!!!

1) Will it export each sticky note from OUTLOOK as a new page in OneNote?

2) Will it export each folder in OUTLOOK note as a separate FOLDER/Notebook in OneNote?

3) Will it retain the original date/time attributes of the sticky note from outlook?

27. Joshua says:

Is there a way to do the same with Outlook Contact Notes?

Joshua1818@gmail.com

28. Joshua Bergman says:

Is there a way to export Outlook CONTACT Notes to OneNote?

Thanks

29. Dan Lauer says:

Install seemed to go OK.  Outlook 2007 and OneNote both closed during install, no running processes for either.  Toolbar shows up fine in Outlook.  I select a note, a OneNote task fires up in the background…then nuttin.  No confirmation dialog, no note on the OneNote side.  Clues?

Dan

30. Anthony King says:

Excellent bit of software, thanks!

31. Michael C. says:

I’ve tried ExportOutlookNotestoOneNote and it doesn’t work – i.e. nothing happens when yuou click. What a shame! Any hints? And could you tell me how to uninstall?

32. W.D. Elliott says:

What is the difference between this add-in and the icon in the toolbar call "Send selected e-mail to OneNote"?

33. Hunt Russell says:

Worked like a charm….thanks!

34. Angelo says:

AHA .. I found out why it wasn’t installing!

Not only do you have to close Outlook .. but you must have your smartphone/pda disconnected from computer if you have one.

If your phone is connected and you use ActiveSync, Outlook never actually fully closes.

Close Outlook, Disconnect your phone from your computer, reinstall, reopen Outlook .. what Whalaa!

35. Chance says:

Installed the power toy fine. When I run the export it will only export the first (2) notes and stop.

36. I was getting ready to post this list of the addins the OneNote Test Team worked on in the year 2007

37. d. thayer says:

This tool is great and gets my notes to OneNote very effectively.  I have noticed that it will drop anything surrounded by a GT and LT sign.  For example, a note including the text "segment (surrounded by <% … %>) and…" will be transferred as "segment (surrounded by ) and…"

Is there any way that anyone knows of to get around this?

Thanks!

38. Kal says:

This works great for text notes, but not for the handwritten notes I have.  Any way to move them over?

39. Alex says:

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and Office 2007 so both OneNote and Outlook are the 2007 edition.

I install the powertoy with Outlook and OneNote closed.

When i open the notes section i don’t seem to be able to find the ExportToOneNote button.

It’s not in the toolbars section and the strange thing is that it is mentioned as active in the Add-Ins list at Trust Center!

Any ideas…?

40. aresquare says:

No JOY! I have it installed but cannot get the toolbar to appear. I have tried all the above "tricks" (kill services, run as admin, no PDA attached, GO and enable). The Add-In showed to be disabled. I enable, exit, restart Outlook and it is disabled. The .dll behavior show unloaded but I cannot seem to load it. Re-installed many time now… NO JOY! Thoughts? I have tons of notes to move to OneNote.

41. Antoine says:

When I chose to export my notes, it only exports very few of my notes. All my notes have no category or anything else than the note body, so I cannot seem to understand why just a few are making it to ON. Any idea?

Thanks

antoine

42. Ken says:

Installed OK & worked once. Now getting Sysrem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException Error (x80042006)

Have to close Outlook from Taskmanager to continue.l

43. Malte says:

I am facing exactly the same problem as aresquare…

installed, reinstalled, followed all the mentioned tricks, but… nothing!

Any more helpful thoughts?

WOuld be strongly appreciated!

44. John says:

Like others above, I am not having complete success with this add-on. The installed seems to run fine. The toolbar appears and seems to do "something" when launched but nothing appears in OneNote.

I’ve followed the suggestions above but can’t seem to get it to work.

45. Stefano Cuccu says:

Nice! I had a lot of outlook notes and transfered them in OneNote.

Thanks a lot!

46. Malte says:

Hello John and other people struggling to get the powertoy running,

I have finally managed to install it and now it works properly.

The decisive step was to enable .NET-Support for Outlook. This can be done in the office configuration. A more detailled explanation can be found here

(refering to OneNote, but the spot where to change settings is the same for Outlook; when enabling .NET-support for Outlook you should at the same time also enable .NET support for oneNote)

Hope that helps!

47. Or Cohen says:

It doesn’t export any notes when all or part of the notes are notes synchronized from a pocket pc device.

48. Florence says:

I’m following your directions but I’m getting

an error wzeay32.dll with the winzip.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

49. Marc van den Berg says:

Just what I needed. Thanks.

Marc

50. robert says:

Running Office 2007 on Vista w/.NET framework.  Followed installation steps above, "Outlook notes to OneNote" appears in Outlook Add-ins, but no "Look" button appears.  Please help. thx.

51. Sasha says:

A very useful tool. Thank you very much!

52. David says:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Office 2010. Just fyi.

53. Monty Offutt says:

I'm getting errors trying to use this app with OUTLOOK 2010. I wanted to confirm that this will not work with OUTLOOK 2010.

54. Arnie Loa says:

I also cannot get this powertoy to work with Outlook 2010.  With the introduction of Windows Phone 7 and 10 years of notes in Outlook, I am absolutely stunned that Microsoft hasn't forseen this issue.  Why not include the ability to export Outlook Notes to One Note?

55. Sudharsan V says:

Hey Daniel,

Does this work for Outlook 2010. I tried using this in Outlook 2010, the addin installs, but does not export the note to onenote.

Is there a tweek or is there a different version available

56. John Guin says:

Sudharsan,  Sadly, I have lost the code for this addin, but another reader came up with a utility to do this:blogs.msdn.com/…/an-outlook-routine-to-export-sticky-notes-and-then-import-them-to-onenote.aspx

has the details.

Sorry for the problems,

John

57. dan says:

installed the tool, restart the machine, no tool visible/available.  what's up?

58. Mary says:

Should this process work on a macbook air?

59. Stan says:

My Outlook Notes are arranged in the folder. The add-in worked, but it ignored the folder structure. Is there a way around it?

60. Dennis Greene says:

Thanks to John or whoever wrote this code (I'm not certain from notes above).  I'm sure it took some time and it really saves the rest of us a bunch of time.

61. Gordon Reid says:

I found it easier to attach all my notes in an email from outlook 2003 client and sent it to myself.  On received email with notes click File "save attachments".  Store them in my documents.  In one note insert file and selected them all.  Appeared no problem but had to arrange them manually on screen.

62. Christine says:

To migrate NSF file to PST one can also try Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook Software from http://www.howconvertnsftopst.convertnsftopst.biz

It is a perfect utility to perform Notes to Outlook Conversion and it also allow the conversion of Unicode characters as well. For more information about software visit nsftopstfile.blogspot.com/…/lotus-notes-to-outlook.html