"And she’d say, ‘Can you see … what I’m saying?’" [How to: Localize a Windows Phone 7 application that uses the Windows Phone Toolkit into different languages]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of dlaa.me.

See you there!

1. Timothy Fries says:

Now *that's* an obscure reference in the title!

2. Delay says:

Timothy Fries,

:D Here's a bit more info for people who might *not* have recognized the song reference: twitter.com/…/16988383846862849

3. mORTEN says:

[sarcasm] I just looooove how I have to set the title in the code behind. It's so pretty [/sarcasm].

I know there's other (hokey) ways to get around that, but I truly wish we had proper x:Static support in Silverlight. (btw this goes for Silverlight too).

4. Delay says:

mORTEN,

Agreed – x:Static sure would be nice. :)

5. Beave says:

Very nice and detailed explanation! Thank you. Haven't thought of using the source code to localize the toggleSwitch. I just used svn to check it out. This way the toolkit will stay up to date automatically.

6. Delay says:

Beave,

Cool idea – you'll get merges and conflict resolution for free that way!

7. RichardDeeming says:

"… building applications that can be easily translated to other languages [is] easy …"

Really? :o)

search.cpan.org/…/TPJ13.pod

"It is more complicated than you think."

– The Eighth Networking Truth, from RFC 1925

8. Delay says:

RichardDeeming,

Okay, so maybe I exaggerated a little. :) Though if you want to split hairs for a moment, I said only that building applications which *could* be translated was easy – I didn't say that the translation *itself* would be easy, too!

Thanks for the article – that's great stuff!

9. Alfa says:

Hey, I have localised the date picker in the suggested method. And it works brilliantly! Thank you :).

The hitch I face now is that, im need to render charts in my app. For that I use a 3rd party tool called visiblox.

Now for visiblox to work need both the toolkit dll and the visibox dll. But when i try to run i get the error called

"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Somehow i figured that its the toolkit reference. So i remove the project toolkit reference from my project and add the the other toolkit,dll we get under there .NET tab in the Add Reference dialog box. Now the project runs fine. But i dont get the localisation. So what is the difference between the dll tht we get by building the toolkit project and the other dll? There should be some difference right, else it would have worked.

10. Delay says:

Alfa,

My guess is that something about the Visiblox assembly is conflicting with the Toolkit one. I've never used the Visiblox stuff, so I don't know off the top of my head what it would be. However, it looks like you posted this question to StackOverflow as well (stackoverflow.com/…/graphing-tools-for-windows-phone-visiblox-error) and someone there seems to think the Visiblox assemblies reference a conflicting version of the Toolkit assemblies? If so, that could explain this problem. If not, you might look at whether there are any conflicting assembly names, XML namespace prefixes, or class names – any of those feel like they could lead to problems like this.

Hope this helps!