Silverlight (and WPF) Data Visualization classes unsealed [Silverlight Toolkit October 2009 release now available!]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of

See you there!

1. rjb4standards says:

The "public samples" link above produces an error when I try to access it:

Line: 54

Char: 13

Error: Unhandled error in Silverlight application.

Code: 2104

Message: Could not download teh Silverlight applcation

2. David Anson says:

I’m sorry to hear that. 🙁 I’ve just tried from home and work and that link/page loads successfully for me. Have you tried Ctrl+F5 or clearing your browser cache? Have you tried a different browser? Do you have Silverlight *3* installed? Have you tried reinstalling it? Are you behind a restrictive firewall? Have you tried looking at the network traffic with something like Fiddler?

I’ve just done a web search for "could not download the silverlight application" and the hits I see there say it’s due to a server misconfiguration. But because we’ve used this server for many months and because it’s working for me, I’m thinking the server is doing the right thing here. I’d recommend running through the questions I ask above and seeing if maybe one of them helps sort this out…

3. Andrei says:

Hi David!

In regards how Palette vs series's DataPointStyle works, I have an issue which I am describing on a post on stackoverflow:…/implicity-style-for-bardatapoint-is-not-applied

Basically, what I am saying is that, based on my finding, it's not possible to change the datatpoint template of a series and still keep the palette working.

I am talking about a solution which will work for all scenarios including when a Chart has several kind of series.

Can you please take a look?

4. David Anson says:

It's been a while since I looked at this stuff, but here are a couple of ideas:

1. Make sure you're using the latest code. I suspect you are, but it's worth a try if not.

2. The lookup logic for DataPoint styles should be smart enough to ignore things that don't match, so it's possible to provide separate templates for BarDataPoint/ColumnDataPoint/etc. in the same place and the relevant ones will be selected as needed.

3. When you're trying implicit styles, try providing them on the Chart inself in the defining control (just for experimentation). There's some magic handling of the ResourceDictionary, but I'm not sure it's enough to make it work the way you're trying.

4. Try the Compatible series, too, as there's a small chance they'll work better for your scenario.

5. If nothing else is working, the trick of referencing the same template from multiple pallette entries I show at…/chart-tweaking-made-easy-how-to-make-four-simple-color-tooltip-changes-with-silverlight-wpf-charting.aspx may be useful here.

Hope this helps!

5. Andrei says:

Hi David,

I tried to answer but after submitting my post, I see my answer was not posted 🙁

In short, I tried all your points. None work.

The example you give in your blog post show styles for ColumnSeries and PieSeries separately.

Maybe I failed to describe my problem, I will try again.

Imagine you have a chart with both a column series and a line series.

How would you style them in such a way that colors for background defined in chart's palette still works?

I see two choices.

Try to set a DataPointStyle for each series, but doing this it will override the style from palette, so colors from palette stop working.

The other option is to try to put implicit styles for each type of datapoint in the palette, I tried that, but it is not picked up.

I tried this on both Silverlight 4 and Silverlight 5 and it does not work.

I hope you can give some opinions on this as I think you are one of the few people who really have the insights of how things really work.

6. David Anson says:

I think I understand what you're trying to do and I agree it should be easy – I'm just not sure it is. 😐 The one idea i had just now was to try changing the palettes being used to not include a DataPointStyle entry. That should prevent the Series from assigning one which will leave that property on the DataPoint instances without a local value – and that should allow an implicit style to flow in and be applied as you suggest above. While it's true the default palette doesn't behave this way, you could ensure all of your palettes did – and it seems like this would cleanly separate the colors from the styling. If it works… 🙂

Comments are closed.